2003 LX470 Center DIFF nor 4LO indicators light up when activated. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question, when engaging 4LO and/or the center diff lock the indicators on cluster are not lighting up. I know for sure 4LO physically engages but not so sure if the center lock does. Does anyone have an idea on how to problem shoot this issue?
Also when I press the center diff lock there is a clicking sound that comes from or around the glove compartment. Is that normal? I don't hear that sound on my 2004 4GEN 4Runnner.

There is not a 4LO indicator. The CDL indicator not lighting up is a faulty position switch on the passenger side of transfer case (see here: Center Diff Light Fix - My Experience). The clicking sound you hear on passenger side when pressing the CDL switch is the relay, which is a good sign that means your CDL is actually engaging and disengaging properly. So just replace the position switch with a new one and the dash light will work again.

Last edited:
The CDL does not automatically engage when shifting into 4LO. You must press the button to engage the CDL.

The CDL does not automatically engage when shifting into 4LO. You must press the button to engage the CDL.

If it is LX I believe it does engage when in 4Lo. In my 99 LX it does.

There is not a 4LO indicator. The CDL indicator not lighting up is a faulty position switch on the passenger side of transfer case (see here: Center Diff Light Fix - My Experience). The clicking sound you hear on passenger side when pressing the CDL switch is the relay, which is a good sign that means your CDL is actually engaging and disengaging properly. So just replace the position switch with a new one and the dash light will work again.
Thank you for that info i will definitely get this switched out.

If it is LX I believe it does engage when in 4Lo. In my 99 LX it does.

Beginning in year 2000, the CDL does not automatically engage with 4LO.

Quick little update on the code that came out p0430. Went to a local mechanic and recommended for me to use cataclean. He said it was no big deal and cleared the code. What do you guys think?

Quick little update on the code that came out p0430. Went to a local mechanic and recommended for me to use cataclean. He said it was no big deal and cleared the code. What do you guys think?
Temporary fix with ephemeral effectiveness. Code will most certainly come back after you complete the drive cycle for the catalyst readiness monitor. Likely need a new catalytic converter.

^^^^^ Agree with this advice. My '06 LX has that code show up randomly and leave. Not too worried about it.

Thx for this response - I recently purchased my 2000 year LC - have exactly the same issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom