GX470 vs 4G 4Runner Cargo Space for Sleeping Platform? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I’m in the market for a new vehicle and could use some help deciding between a GX470 and 4G 4Runner (most likely somewhere around a 2006-2007). I’m planning building a storage system (two drawers) with a sleeping platform. Can anyone here comment on the differences in dimensions and usable space between the two? I can find a lot of info in 4Runner builds like this but not much for the GX. Is it safe the assume the maximum size for a bed platform would be about the same with both? Or is there less usable space in the GX due do the way the seats fold down? Would be removing 3rd Row seats. I know the extra headroom in the GX would be nice, but I’m wondering if anyone here can chime in. Any insight greatly appreciated.

I think to sleep comfortable in the GX, the second row has to come out. There’s is just not enough room with them in and folded

GX taller headroom would be advantageous in this case. Also a lot of people got big table on the rear swinging door and able to cook/prepare food without needing separate table / big slide out.
DSC_0614_1.jpg

I guess if your platform is high up like that pic then you wouldn’t have to pull the seats. I like that

I assume they have a similar amount of horizontal space from tailgate to driver's seat. If you planned to build a platform on top of a drawer system, the GX would offer more head room.

If you have a non-3rd row 4Runner, second row seat cushions fold up, and the backrests fold down just behind the seat cushion, giving you more slightly more horizontal space than a GX or 3rd row equipped 4Runner (probably still not enough room to stretch out if you're over 5'8"ish). If you have the 3rd row, it'll be exactly the same as the GX - tumble folding second row (takes up a decent chunk of the space - definitely not stretching out on the floor with second row seat folded). Something else to note is the 2nd and 3rd row AC in the GX. I don't know if the 4Runners have that. Also, it's pretty easy to remove the GX seats completely. My guess is the 4Runner seats without a 3rd row are more difficult to remove because they're more integral.

In the GX, unless you build a platform to span over the folded second row like @Jstawgn did above, you'll need to remove at least one of the two second row seats to sleep comfortably on the floor.

I'm 6' and I just fit in (legs stretched) with the second row seat removed. I built a little platform to span the foot well and used some old carpet to cover. If you're doing a drawer system, this isn't really relevant, just using it for visual.

full

I assume they have a similar amount of horizontal space from tailgate to driver's seat. If you planned to build a platform on top of a drawer system, the GX would offer more head room.

If you have a non-3rd row 4Runner, second row seat cushions fold up, and the backrests fold down just behind the seat cushion, giving you more slightly more horizontal space than a GX or 3rd row equipped 4Runner (probably still not enough room to stretch out if you're over 5'8"ish). If you have the 3rd row, it'll be exactly the same as the GX - tumble folding second row (takes up a decent chunk of the space - definitely not stretching out on the floor with second row seat folded). Something else to note is the 2nd and 3rd row AC in the GX. I don't know if the 4Runners have that. Also, it's pretty easy to remove the GX seats completely. My guess is the 4Runner seats without a 3rd row are more difficult to remove because they're more integral.

In the GX, unless you build a platform to span over the folded second row like @Jstawgn did above, you'll need to remove at least one of the two second row seats to sleep comfortably on the floor.

I'm 6' and I just fit in (legs stretched) with the second row seat removed. I built a little platform to span the foot well and used some old carpet to cover. If you're doing a drawer system, this isn't really relevant, just using it for visual.

full
Thanks a lot for the reply. This was kind of wait I was looking for. I’d like to do a raised platform with two drawers so I can still utilize the rear seats when needed. I actually also came across this
It seems similar to yours, but raised. I asked the dude for measurements but he hasn’t replied. Is it safe to assume that the length is about 6’? Is that how long yours extends? Thanks a bunch.

GX taller headroom would be advantageous in this case. Also a lot of people got big table on the rear swinging door and able to cook/prepare food without needing separate table / big slide out. View attachment 2393200
Looks great! Is that your setup? Do you know the dimensions of the platform by chance? Yeah that’s one of the main reasons I think the GX would be better. The 4R just seems to crammed for this type of thing.

Mine is made by @co4wheel
He can customize it to your need too.

Thanks a lot for the reply. This was kind of wait I was looking for. I’d like to do a raised platform with two drawers so I can still utilize the rear seats when needed. I actually also came across this
It seems similar to yours, but raised. I asked the dude for measurements but he hasn’t replied. Is it safe to assume that the length is about 6’? Is that how long yours extends? Thanks a bunch.

I basically did the same thing and with the front seats moved forward I can stretch out without touching the front seats or the rear door and I'm 6'2". Super cheap to make and very convenient since you still have storage in the back and the rear seats remain in use.

I basically did the same thing and with the front seats moved forward I can stretch out without touching the front seats or the rear door and I'm 6'2". Super cheap to make and very convenient since you still have storage in the back and the rear seats remain in use.
Okay great, that’s good to hear. I’m only 5 8” so I’m sure there will be more than enough room for me. Overall how do you like the GX? I was originally set on a 4th gen 4Runner but now the more I look into it, I’m really leaning towards the GX. They honestly can be found for cheaper than a 4G 4R where I live, so I really can’t think of a solid reason why I wouldn’t get the GX over the 4R. Apart from the 4R being a bit lighter, I don’t really see any major benefits to it over the Gx.

Okay great, that’s good to hear. I’m only 5 8” so I’m sure there will be more than enough room for me. Overall how do you like the GX? I was originally set on a 4th gen 4Runner but now the more I look into it, I’m really leaning towards the GX. They honestly can be found for cheaper than a 4G 4R where I live, so I really can’t think of a solid reason why I wouldn’t get the GX over the 4R. Apart from the 4R being a bit lighter, I don’t really see any major benefits to it over the Gx.

The GX has more head room and a nice reliable V8 as well as a bit of aging luxury. The 4R with the equally reliable V6 has the benefit of a timing chain vs belt on the GX but it has much less head room.

I have an 08 GX and a 17 4runner. If you were interested in exact measurements I could get you both vertical and horizontal, but I'm not sure the cargo area on the 17 4runner is the same as a gen 4 4runner. Let me know if I can help.

I have an 08 GX and a 17 4runner. If you were interested in exact measurements I could get you both vertical and horizontal, but I'm not sure the cargo area on the 17 4runner is the same as a gen 4 4runner. Let me know if I can help.
If you could get me the measurements for the GX only that would be amazing, I’d really appreciate it. Not worried about a 5th gen 4R, as I’m sure they are different than the 4th. Thank you.

I really like this setup! Are you running solar for the fridge?

No solar right now. I am running it off of a 92ah group 27 AGM battery. It's going to be put to the test in 90 degree heat for the next 5 days. Luckily we will be traveling 70+ miles each day to top it off and not bringing a bunch of perishables.

I’ll confirm the drawers in the morning, the mattresses are ER styker bed mattress. I got them when I worked maintenance at a hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom