How should I go about this rust repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought a 79 FJ40, runs and drives perfect, 4 speed, factory power steering, pretty much all original. Really nice truck! The whole thing needs repainted, the paint is pretty oxidized and just toast from years in the sun, so when I bought it a total repaint was already in its future. I'm not quite sure how to go about rust repair though, I have a new floor pan for the pass side and a new bottom for the right door, but the more I look at this thing the more I find. I'm not sure if any of it would be considered catostrophic, maybe I can get away with cutting out and patching in some areas. What does everyone think? I really don't want to go crazy replacing every panel in this thing

Rear of tub.jpg

right quarter.jpg

Left Quarter.jpg

Inside lower part of Right Door
lower inside right.jpg

Both top posts look like this
top post left.jpg

The rain gutter along side the top definetly needs replaced as well, trying to figure out if it might be worth just buying a whole fiberglass top for it. On the sides of the top theres some rust where it meets the body of the FJ, but not super super bad.

Well...all in all....not bad at all. The passenger side floor pan looks the worst. You're obviously not trying to preserve patina here...because I count 3 different paint colors....so some blasting to see how weak the metal really is may be in order. A drip rail either partially or fully rebuilt is not that difficult. If you have to do lots of fibreglass repair also...then maybe a replacement. Got any pics of the roof and gutter?

Start sanding, grinding, sandblasting, stripping, etc and see if you get to good metal in all the areas. That’s pretty much the only way to know.

Those later models are sooo bad to rust...I met a guy who said he got one new in 1979 and it was rusted thru before he even got the 4 year loan paid off...the thing is you have to fix it right or it will come back in a few years

If you were closer I’d recommend selling your tub to me and buying a new one... in these parts I’d be thrilled to have a tub 1/2 that good to start with.

Since you’re not, I’d start with sanding, grinding and cutting out rust. I’d recommend buying a MIG and start welding in small patches in spots that are out of sight. After doing a few, start on more visible & important patches. Before long, you’ll get it figured out and have a decent looking 40.

Those later models are sooo bad to rust...I met a guy who said he got one new in 1979 and it was rusted thru before he even got the 4 year loan paid off...the thing is you have to fix it right or it will come back in a few years

Exactly. After mid 1970s, gas crunch, Toyota went to thinner steel AND recycled to boot. Unfortunately, decisions on rust repair is based on how deep and pure you want to make it. Maybe a new tub , aluminum or steel will be the answer.

If you are going to do a repaint, I would pull the tub and get it sandblasted. That will give you clean metal and easier to evaluate the degree off rust. I would then follow with a coat of epoxy primer to protect the metal and then do the panel repairs.

That’s not rust
follow some of these techniques and you will be amazed at the results. Looks like a really nice rig!!

drive it - the rust will disintegrate itself over the next 20 years :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom