Rear tire carrier option - Wilco Hitchgate Solo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a reasonably priced rear tire carrier option. Anyone tried the Wilco Hitchgate Solo (High Clearance) on a FJ80? Hitchgate™ Solo

The website says:

"VEHICLES WITH CLAMSHELL REAR DOORS(LAND CRUISERS, LEXUS LX SERIES, ETC): The Hitchgate Solo High-Clearance DOES NOT work with these vehicles. The lower tailgate portion will come in contact with the base of the Hitchgate due to the low distance between the hitch and tailgate. We recommend the Hitchgate Solo XL, but we highly recommend double checking your measurements before ordering, or feel free to give us a call and we are happy to help."

But... I've seen a few pics that look like it works. Curious if anyone has one installed.

1592539190874.png

Summit Cruisers a couple years back was doing a DIY spare tire kit, not sure if he still is.

Here is the thread:

Would be a much more affordable and practical option, but if I were you and it was possible I would definitely recommend getting a rear bumper/tire carrier setup. I know they can be expensive, but could always try to snag one second hand.

"we highly recommend double checking your measurements before ordering, or feel free to give us a call and we are happy to help."
So wouldn't it make sense to get on the phone with them, walk to your truck with a tape measure, and get the information for yourself?

Also depends on your mission. If you planning even moderate off roaring, that hitch is going to drag badly. The Wilco Hitchgate Solo leaves the spare fairly low, which may decrease your departure angle significantly. It’s pretty expensive for what it does. I would recommend searching for other options. An aftermarket bumper would give you better departure angle, would carry the spare much higher, not block your receiver hitch, and have the option of dual swingouts.

It will depend on what receiver hitch you have. The "high clearance" model looks like it places the swingout really high in relation to your receiver. If you have the low-hanging ass-dragger receiver, it might work, but only a tape measure can tell you. The standard model might be a safer bet. There are several different styles and brands of receiver hitches out there on 80 series, so only a tape measure can answer your question.

Looks like a nice product, but the price is getting mighty close to the price of a decent bumper. I would buy that and give it a shot at $400-500. It's cool that it's actually rated to tow.

So wouldn't it make sense to get on the phone with them, walk to your truck with a tape measure, and get the information for yourself?

Already tried... now just have to get them to pick up the phone - thanks for the advice though ;)

Did you ever get ahold of the manufacturer? I’m in your same situation looking for an economical carrier solution for my 92...had been looking at the solo XL but am hung up on the same question.
Already tried... now just have to get them to pick up the phone - thanks for the advice though ;)

AAdam, Just my 2 cents, but considering the cost of the Wilco tire carrier you listed above, if you, or any of your friends have any fab skills you might want to think about building your own tire carrier.

I built my own, the total cost of materials to make it including steel, bearings, wheel studs, quick pins, mounting hardware , and paint was around $130 bucks. Below are a few photos of my home build.
1596308585816.png

1596308699039.png

1596308826725.png

1596308951188.png

1596309303494.png

I’m selling an unused high clearance model if anyone’s interested. My aftermarkjet receiver is not a pass-through style so it doesn’t fit, and decided to go pintle anyway so I can keep my spare under the truck now. Available for pickup from Reno/Tahoe area. Shipping is probably not going to be cheap. $600 OBO

I actually have had this same dilemma for the past month or so, since I put on 35's.... what to do with the spare? I called Wilco today and talked to a very helpful salesman, he recommended the Solo or XL, but not the hi-clearance (tailgate would hit the thing, couldn't open all the way). I agree about high cost and loss of departure angle... The other bumpers I had looked at were Slee (perpetually out of stock) and CBI (12-ish week lead time).. both of which are 3-4K +. Where are these "cheap bumpers" yall are talking about ? Kaymar, ARB, others?

Looking for a reasonably priced rear tire carrier option. Anyone tried the Wilco Hitchgate Solo (High Clearance) on a FJ80? Hitchgate™ Solo

The website says:

"VEHICLES WITH CLAMSHELL REAR DOORS(LAND CRUISERS, LEXUS LX SERIES, ETC): The Hitchgate Solo High-Clearance DOES NOT work with these vehicles. The lower tailgate portion will come in contact with the base of the Hitchgate due to the low distance between the hitch and tailgate. We recommend the Hitchgate Solo XL, but we highly recommend double checking your measurements before ordering, or feel free to give us a call and we are happy to help."

But... I've seen a few pics that look like it works. Curious if anyone has one installed.

View attachment 2344565
Pricey! Time to bring the welder out!

AAdam, Just my 2 cents, but considering the cost of the Wilco tire carrier you listed above, if you, or any of your friends have any fab skills you might want to think about building your own tire carrier.

I built my own, the total cost of materials to make it including steel, bearings, wheel studs, quick pins, mounting hardware , and paint was around $130 bucks. Below are a few photos of my home build.
View attachment 2390282

View attachment 2390283

View attachment 2390285

View attachment 2390288

View attachment 2390290

This is impressive. Do you have any photos of how you attached the tire carrier to the frame of your truck behind the bumper? Also, where did you source your hardware from? I'd like to do something like this for my 60. Thanks.

garfieldthecat Here are a few mounting photos for you.​

1654456008868.jpeg

This shows 4, of the NAS grade 10, twelve point aircraft bolts holding the carrier to the factory bumper. The other 2 grade 10 bolts are hidden under those 2 black caps marked K19.

1654456467782.jpeg

This photo shows the 3/16 inch thick doubler plate sandwiched in between the factory cross member, and the tire carrier tubing. I installed this doubler to help spread the bolts clamping force over a larger contact area. Take note of the NAS grade 10, twelve point aircraft lock nuts.
1654456934880.jpeg

Here you can see the 1 inch thick, by 4 inch wide, by 12 inch long steel plate that is sandwiched in between the 5/16 inch wall tire carrier tube, and the factory bumper cross member. The reason why i used such heavy duty steel was to insure that nothing flexed under load. Thereby helping to prevent any cracking of thin steel used in the factory cross member. Another reason i used the 1 inch thick steel plate, was for clearance of the tire carrier's mounting tube over the factory bumpers rubber end cap. Even though you can't see them in this photo, the 1 inch steel plate is bolted fast to the tire carrier tube with 5, 3/8 inch bolts counter bored in from the back side of the 1 inch plate.
1654458534449.jpeg

In this photo you can see the 2 mounting bolts next to my pintle hitch. The factory bumpers steel in this location is double walled and made of thicker steel so i felt there was no need for a doubling plate here.

1654455770114.jpeg

In this photo you can see the need for the 1 inch plate mounted in between the tire carrier tube, and the bumper in the third photo to help clear the bumpers end cap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom