3FE Owners Check-In (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys. I'm getting a strange hesitation when its hot out and my cruiser is warmed up. I let it sit and its running fine now. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Got a little 3FE 80 candy

EF3EE3BB-DCC4-428C-8E00-4F5694951CD0.jpeg

Got my 1991 out and wiped it down with a nice clean dust cloth. I "finished" restoration last fall and have really enjoyed it. I considered selling it to buy my wife a Grand Wagoneer, but I just can't part with it. Probably spent too much bringing it back to this level. It is a joy to drive and gets complements from everyone who sees it. The virus stopped most of the car shows so I have not been able to enjoy bringing it out this spring.

I found a Grand Wagoneer project so that will consume my spare time this summer/fall. Wow are those things junk compared to my Land Cruisers. Hopefully my wife will also reach that conclusion and I can sell the GW for a nice profit. I suspect, however, I will over-restore it as well. It is a nice localish car with no rust and a good original interior. It should be fun to improve over time.

RKTINC

149E558C-7057-4153-8D86-E445B1E9612C_1_201_a.jpeg

7BEDCE8B-070C-4021-AA52-BF00AB7E67A0.jpeg

632FE8ED-D54E-472E-A04A-3668D6881F10.jpeg

FA68F5ED-7BFA-4B23-A1B2-C9DE4D82B86A.jpeg

So my production date is 7/92, I’m not certain that is last month of production of the FJ80 but I’m pretty sure the first FZJ80s were produced 7/92. Anyone else have a 3FE from 7/92 (or later)? Wondering how close to the end of the run mine is.

Did anyone just see that 92 FJ80 sell on Bring a Trailer today? $19K!!!!!!! I am sure it was here on mud in the last year or so. The BAT "premium" sure kicked in this one. Hope someone enjoys in and restores it to perfection. Search BAT 68k mile 1992 FJ80

Spent some time stretching her legs this past weekend in SoCal...weather was perfect.

vkUQ0rJ.jpg

hFyF7Ny.jpg

SAlSW1G.jpg
Gotta ask, are you running 35's? I have the same tires, 35,12.5,R15, how do you clear you fender flares?

Gotta ask, are you running 35's? I have the same tires, 35,12.5,R15, how do you clear you fender flares?
I am running 37s...35s will have no problem clearing fender flares, but you have to relocate your front/rear axle due to lift.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask - but - does anyone have a link to the FJ80 FSM - I have a 1991 FJ80 in need of some love!

Question for anyone that has worked on your steering gearbox-

Im trying to track down a power steering fluid leak. Rebuilt the power steering pump, and the leak is coming from the driver side, so the steering gearbox would be the next logical check right?

if so, will this upgrade work for the FJ80? Joey has it listed for the FJZ so not sure if it carries over. If not, any recommendations on how to fix or upgrade?

Question for anyone that has worked on your steering gearbox-

Im trying to track down a power steering fluid leak. Rebuilt the power steering pump, and the leak is coming from the driver side, so the steering gearbox would be the next logical check right?

More than likely. Is your gear box all oily? I did mine last winter following all the guides here. A bit annoying but well worth it.

if so, will this upgrade work for the FJ80? Joey has it listed for the FJZ so not sure if it carries over. If not, any recommendations on how to fix or upgrade?

"Im trying to track down a power steering fluid leak. Rebuilt the power steering pump, and the leak is coming from the driver side, so the steering gearbox would be the next logical check right?"

More than likely. Is your gear box all oily? How do the hoses and "paperclip" look? I did my gearbox last winter following all the guides here. A bit annoying but well worth it.

"if so, will this upgrade work for the FJ80? Joey has it listed for the FJZ so not sure if it carries over. If not, any recommendations on how to fix or upgrade?"

It should be okay because the boxes are the same, but I personally haven't done the 105 upgrade. I am sure Joey would know though.

Yes to both, looks greasy on the driver side, and it follows down all the way to the tow hook.

Was going to reach out to Joey, but seems like he’s got a lot going on so figured I’d check with the forum.

It’s been a haul (dec-July), but I finally got my FJ80 baselined and ready to rock.
It had 1/2” of greasy dirt/dirty grease on the lower engine block and pan from leaks at the pushrod cover and the pan gasket, a shot front end from differential on out, bad u joints, bad O2 sensors, bad speedometer cable, Bad front door speakers, broken windshield, piss poor tires, Shot suspension......Good thing I got it for under $3k!
I knew nothing about FJ80’s except for the 3FE and the lack of front and rear lockers. Seemed like the perfect truck for me - I am not into wheeling for wheeling’s sake, yet I live in CO at 9000’ and love going to the backcountry. This forum helped me diagnose and fix every problem I could find. Now I have a reliable classic 4wd vehicle that can take the family camping almost anywhere I want.
last week we took it for our first camping trip-
Buena Vista to Tincup over Tincup pass, camping once on each side, and then an excursion down the Taylor canyon for some climbing. My wife even enjoyed driving it over Cottonwood pass on the return trip, and that is one steep and curvy road. I have the bug now, boy! So Thanks MUDders for your help in this journey.
Special thanks to @jonheld for his consistent and sage advice.
On to the next little fixit job
C518FFF7-AE98-443C-A6C7-75F2BB17D703.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom