Decent quality radiator brand suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, can you give some suggestions on decent aftermarket radiator brands that won't break the bank or blow up after a year and that actually fits? lol
Thanks

Countless threads on the subject. Search koyo. That seems to be a popular choice from your neighbors in AZ and NM. That said I will throw out a vote for a Toyorad OEM unit for~$350

Last edited:
Here’s some notes I had saved from previous threads.

“I always recommend to customers to get the 93-94 OEM radiators. They will fit the later models as well. I’ve installed aftermarket and OEM and the OEM quality was so much better.”

“I have about a year on a koyo radiator. 0 issues and keeps the engine cool when towing, works great. Price was under $200 and it fit identical to the OEM radiator

“Get a 94 and older brass and copper”

1996 Radiator Replacement Tips- Comments

“OEM, DENSO(Indonesia made) 4row copper/brass, KOYO. Don’t buy from amazon.”

“Critical part of the OEM radiator is the 3/8 nipple break you sometimes accidentally hit. Buy stronger all aluminum or brass radiator.”

“If price isn’t an issue, get a Ron Davis radiator.”

Last edited:
TYC 1918 if you need the coolest possible, happens to be one of the cheapest alternatives as well, you can find them at Rock Auto or Amazon. Koyo if you want an OEM almost-equivalent without paying an OEM price. OEM (Toyorad, not Koyo, Denso, etc) if you want Toyota reliability. I have no experience with the Ron Davis, looks good but very pricey.

I completely disagree with @Road Apple about getting a 93-94 OEM, because I live in a place that's hot. They are brass core. Toyota switched to aluminum core for '95+, which cools better. The TYC rad mentioned in many posts is an aluminum core, with a thicker core and different fin design, which adds up to better cooling than any other radiator I've seen, see above disclaimer about Ron Davis. Most of the rads available, including OEM, have plastic tanks. Don't be an ape with the nipple and they work great, IME they offer better performance than any all-brass unit.

There are many posts on this subject, do a search for TYC, radiator, Koyo, etc.

Last edited:
My toyorad (via Cdan, so definitely the real thiing) lasted about 10-12 years. I just today dropped in a koyo as a replacement. The toyorad developed a leak in the gasket interface in the top tank area.

So, oem is not necessarily going to give you any long term assurance of durability. The plastic tank style that is so popular these days definitely has a limited lifespan due to the gasket seal.

cheers,
george.

TYC 1918 if you need the coolest possible, happens to be one of the cheapest alternatives as well, you can find them at Rock Auto or Amazon. Koyo if you want an OEM almost-equivalent without paying an OEM price. OEM (Toyorad, not Koyo, Denso, etc) if you want Toyota reliability. I have no experience with the Ron Davis, looks good but very pricey.

I completely disagree with @Road Apple about getting a 93-94 OEM, because I live in a place that's hot. They are brass core. Toyota switched to aluminum core for '95+, which cools better. The TYC rad mentioned in many posts is an aluminum core, with a thicker core and different fin design, which adds up to better cooling than any other radiator I've seen, see above disclaimer about Ron Davis. Most of the rads available, including OEM, have plastic tanks. Don't be an ape with the nipple and they work great, IME they offer better performance than any all-brass unit.

There are many posts on this subject, do a search for TYC, radiator, Koyo, etc.
Thank you @-Spike- I’ll add your comments to my notes. Good gouge

i trashed my brand new CFS after 3 months of use and replaced with a RD . I am sure it was sitting on the bottom of the dumpster for a week before it was hauled away for scraps. I should have sold it on ebay for $200, but my conscience won't allow..:rofl:

If looking to go big, steel nutz in cali makes a nice rad. A delta current control controller for a stand alone electric fan system is a perk. One thing not mentioned is i do think electric fans buy you some real estate over the belt driven fan.

I know rads that won't break the bank was asked for, but this is just in case someone is looking to break the bank, since others dropped ron davis.

Hi, Csf , I personally have used around 2 dozen not one has not lasted years, some are over 15 years old. However I have rejected some new ones damaged in shipping. Without a good flush of the engine and heaters no radiator will work well. A good flush is not a quick project. Any weakness in the cooling system needs attention. These engines are geting older and shedding scale out of the cooling system Which needs ro be flushed out. Mike

I was the first 80 series with a RD radiator back in 2003 and for an 80 series it is not worth the price of admission. It’s sexy to look at but I don’t feel you get much if any better cooling. My opinion

In Arizona the go to is the 1918 for about 1/6 the cost of a RD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom