Worst cup holders ever designed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 200 for only a month so far, but every day the cup holders have been irritating me. They are too shallow and too insecure in terms of how they wrap around a drink. Today, I finally had my first spill. I don't think I've ever spilled a drink before while it was in the cupholder of another vehicle.

How could Toyota engineer such an amazing vehicle and so badly botch such a simple but important everyday detail?

They're incrementally better than the ones in the 100 series, so I guess that's something... I agree not the best I've had but not the worst.

Ever ridden in a 70 series? If you want proper cup holders, you have to mod it. There’s only a small one.
The 200 is significantly better than the 70 or 80 to me.

In an 80 series you get one where nothing can fit in it and the other which is in the worst/ackward spot and also not sized right.
That's it.

20200730_131914_HDR.jpg

20200730_131927_HDR.jpg

I've had my 200 for only a month so far, but every day the cup holders have been irritating me. They are too shallow and too insecure in terms of how they wrap around a drink. Today, I finally had my first spill. I don't think I've ever spilled a drink before while it was in the cupholder of another vehicle.

How could Toyota engineer such an amazing vehicle and so badly botch such a simple but important everyday detail?

Lucky for you, a fellow Mudder has printed a solution. Life changing.

Comes in a couple different flavors, there's a thread about them somewhere.

IMHO the worst cup holders ever designed belongs to the Porsche 911. Over engineered, fragile, and obtrusive. Definitely wouldn't trust it to hold a cup of anything. Once I tried fitting a Costco bottled water, could have sworn it almost broke the plastic.

The 200s' cup holders may come in a close second :)

IMHO the worst cup holders ever designed belongs to the Porsche 911. Over engineered, fragile, and obtrusive. Definitely wouldn't trust it to hold a cup of anything. Once I tried fitting a Costco bottled water, could have sworn it almost broke the plastic.

If you think those are bad, go look at what a 944T had for "cup holders".

You were to open the glove box, the lid would only open to horizontal. On the lid there were 2 very small indentations for you to place your cup. If you started, stopped, turned or hit a bump your cup would fall over.
944 cup.JPG

Guess none of you have been in the previous generation g wagon. I’d say they’re in the running for worst cup holder.
View attachment 2388623
Believe it or not, that basket ball hoop isn't as useless as it looks... I was able to use it for a 20oz Starbucks double wall stainless steel tumbler without any spills on the G-wagons I owned. But it would have been useless for the typical disposable cups you get at places like Starbucks. Definitely not the best design, but not nearly as bad as it looks; it's also a good conversation starter for first time passengers :). The old style G-wagon also has 2 really good cup holders on the back side of the center console at floor height that I found worked really well for me when driving, but I've got longish arms. And of course, the new G-wagon has an all new design that has real cup holders up front.

BH3D's cup holder solution is excellent. It was the first mod I made on my LC.

Believe it or not, that basket ball hoop isn't as useless as it looks... I was able to use it for a 20oz Starbucks double wall stainless steel tumbler without any spills on the G-wagons I owned. But it would have been useless for the typical disposable cups you get at places like Starbucks. Definitely not the best design, but not nearly as bad as it looks; it's also a good conversation starter for first time passengers :). The old style G-wagon also has 2 really good cup holders on the back side of the center console at floor height that I found worked really well for me when driving, but I've got longish arms. And of course, the new G-wagon has an all new design that has real cup holders up front.

BH3D's cup holder solution is excellent. It was the first mod I made on my LC.
Didn't know about the rear cup holders, only ever saw the front basketball hoop one.

Agreed his cup holder is great! One of the first things I did to my LX as well.

I ordered the 3-D printed cup holder inserts for my 200, big help. I'm pretty sure the factory cup holders were designed for Saki cups!

No, 911 s are WAY worse! LOL

Haha. When I first saw the original post I was going to mention my g500 and 996 had much worse cup holders then my LX, you all beat me there. I’ll also add the MB e class, Audi RS4, Audi Allroad (old A6 one) were all bad. My wife’s 2 Tesla’s (S then 3) both had/have good cup holders.
Come to think of it I’ve never owned a car that I think had a good cup holder, honestly the 200 is one of the best. My wife still gives me grief as most times a have a beverage in the car it’s between my legs... even in the Tesla.

Ah, yes it's been 6 months since we've done a "bitch about the cup holders" thread.

I fixed mine with a few pennies of stick-on weatherstrip that I had in my stash. Holds my 20oz RTIC tumbler perfectly, very secure. Then I added a couple of carefully cutout scraps of carpeting to the bottom of the wells to catch any errant drips and keep it from rattling.

IMG_20181115_133422.jpg

The aw11 (first generation MR2... 85-89) has all of these beat.

They have no cupholders. Not even fancy glove box lid indentations.

The early 3rd gen 4runner is much worse than an 80/100.... there's a pull out (that's weak and breaks) that loosely holds cups right over your climate controls and every bump makes them rattle like they're on an amusement ride.

For those complaining about the 200 do you guys still have the adjustable insert? Or not realize you can fit bottles in the door panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom