Why does everyone keep the hardtop on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who has the best garage hoist system for a true one man job?

Yeah I tough of that but the price of reproduction bows + the import is a lot of money just to put a bikini over it. A much simpler set of bows should be enough for a bikini.
Other solution would be to find OEM bows for a 43 and only use B pillar or shorten them but I would be a bit a shame to do that to an original set only to put a bikini on top. (43 are common over here and all softtop, 40 on the other hand were only available with hardtop so no used bows on the market)

Here we're talking !
How your "rollbar" is installed on the tub ? It's homemade ?
Factory roll bar

Who has the best garage hoist system for a true one man job?

I use this Racor lift I bought from Amazon. No help needed.

unnamed (1).jpg

Fotor_155757134576013 (1).jpg

Security and wx. Drove through a typhoon with a soft top on. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! Sold it and put the hard top on. I like the looks of the soft top but not the functionality.

When my 40 was driveable, I loved the lack of top weight combined with a v-8. It handles a ton better. When I would go cutting wood in the winter I would just throw on my carhardts and go. I have a pre-zip out window STC top that I like the look of, but hope to explore a FST style eventually. Maybe I'll try to find another hardtop someday and build a hoist, but first I need to get it running again.

Years back I swapped to an ‘81 hardtop with vent windows & got rig of the useless sunroof that always leaked. With the no-draft windows in the doors and the vent windows in the back it’s plenty cool most of the time. My daughter was 10 (last year) and it was the first time I took the roof off for the summer in her life. Don’t know if it’ll come off this year. Covid has turned our lives upside down... and as others have said it’s a bear to do solo. Last year I did it with three people and it was amazing.

I’ve got a few things I’d like to do to it before I drive it next... hopefully this summer... but the third vehicle insured when we’re not going anywhere is hard to justify.

I ran the hard top from the time I got my FJ40 in 73 till the 90's.
Pulled the top with the help of my son and ran topless for eight years.
Most of it was enjoyable.
Made my own rag top but ran the bikini most of the time.
In the dead of winter I would put the rag top up.
I left the bikini on and layed a mylar space blanket over it then put the top up.
Seemed to me to be warmer than the hard top.
My home made soft top was getting pretty ratty so decided to put the hard top back on.
I had left the hard top in the weather all that time and neglected it so had to do some refurbishing when I decided to put it back on.
I sometimes think it would be nice to take the top off again but doubt I ever will.
If I did I would make a hoist for it and figure out how to store it indoors.

I agree 100% with @cruiserkev . It is the lift I used with my first 40 and will be the one I use with this 40 if I ever take the top off. Racor lift makes it a one man job.

When I used to take mine off I always did it myself and I did it by lifting the top off on my shoulders. I would use a hill, drop the tail gate and remove the lift gate so it was easier to just walk it off and then carry it wherever I was storing it in the yard. Young, stubborn and impatient! Now I have a garage and just drive it for fun and errands when warm so it is full length bikini top and no doors all the time. Lots of waves from the jeeps but who cares.

Eric

My top hasn't been on in ten + years. Not that hard to do, my wife and I used to do it.
Topless is one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.
The dogs seem to like to use the top for shade in the summer.
You absolutely need a bikini too though in the southwest or you fry.
The top & doors never go back on now - I put seat heaters in for when it chilly.
When they say "nice jeep," just respond nicely - "toyota" and smile.;)

So when I stop for a beer run no one steals my gym bag/ back pack

The locking steering column or hood lock never made they way to the US in the 40 series. I would be afraid they would decide it just as easy to vehicle along with your stuff. One jumper from the battery to the coil and another over to the starter and off they go. The clamshell on the 73 steering column is made to be drilled for the locking steering column. Wonder why Toyota chose not to import them.

When I used to take mine off I always did it myself and I did it by lifting the top off on my shoulders. I would use a hill, drop the tail gate and remove the lift gate so it was easier to just walk it off and then carry it wherever I was storing it in the yard. Young, stubborn and impatient! Now I have a garage and just drive it for fun and errands when warm so it is full length bikini top and no doors all the time. Lots of waves from the jeeps but who cares.

Eric
My top hasn't been on in ten + years. Not that hard to do, my wife and I used to do it.
Topless is one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.
The dogs seem to like to use the top for shade in the summer.
You absolutely need a bikini too though in the southwest or you fry.
The top & doors never go back on now - I put seat heaters in for when it chilly.
When they say "nice jeep," just respond nicely - "toyota" and smile.;)

Never did it myself. Did do a few times with just one other person. I would get inside and lift the top high enough to put 2X4s on the sides. Then we each would pick up a side. Last time I did this way the 2X4 fell out and end landed on my big toe. That toe nail has never grown back right since. Should have had on steel toe shoes not tennis shoes.

Never did it myself. Did do a few times with just one other person. I would get inside and lift the top high enough to put 2X4s on the sides. Then we each would pick up a side. Last time I did this way the 2X4 fell out and end landed on my big toe. That toe nail has never grown back right since. Should have had on steel toe shoes not tennis shoes.
Exactly! The old "stand inside, use your back to lift, scramble with multiple 2X4s" method. Works every time. Better with beers first. :beer:

Exactly! The old "stand inside, use your back to lift, scramble with multiple 2X4s" method. Works every time. Better with beers first. :beer:

Today I would avoid the beer to be sure I wasn't fooled into thinking I was still young. Now I think if I had been smarter in my younger years I wouldn't have to baby my back today. Really can't complain considering how bad I treated my body. All I would say to younger people is work smarter not harder. Your body will thank you later in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom