Upgrading to a 200 series - First time owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So thanks to all of you helping me out I'm even more informed, with that newfound information I've been looking to see if any of these have had the AHC serviced on the 60k intervals and have yet to see one do so, I'd have to imagine that would be viewable in the Lexus history at least, and I'd think it would be on the Carfax but I'm not sure about that. If they haven't been serviced in the past am I looking at a total system failure down the road, or if I start the maintenance program myself is it possible to get the system up to spec with no issues from the "neglect"? I know that's a pretty loaded question but trying to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into with the AHC. It sounds like an awesome system and I know almost everyone is happy with it but trying to determine how detrimental the lack of flushes can be to the system.

I only skimmed the first page but this isn't just based on simple supply and demand. That is what it boils down to, but there's reasoning to it.

Those who can afford a new LX and want the luxury brand are less likely to buy one that is a few years old with some mileage- whereas those who want a Toyota LC aren't as concerned if it saves them $10-20k off new to be a few years old. The same thing happens with Escalades (since you have a Yukon XL).

This increases the desirability of the LC in the used market and decreases the desirability of the LX.

The Landcruiser is one of the longest owned vehicles, averaging over 10 years. I don't think the LX falls into the same category.

I have both a 200 and a 100 series (actually had 2 LX 100 series) - and see the same thing happen in the 100 series.

The 80 series crowd doesn't seem to care, only care of it has factory lockers or not - one 3x locked can be significantly more than one without, LC or LX.

I love our 2001 LX and the 2011 LX so far. I've also had a FJ40 with a 350/350 I tore down to the frame, a FJ62, a 3x locked 93 LC, and the LXs. We also currently have a 1997 4Runner manual 3.4/4x4 (that is my wifes favorite- yes, over the LXs). Out of them all I preferred the 93, but at 325k miles and issues compounding with no time to fix it was time to let her go (to Hawaii).

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the Lexus History I didn't know about that, good information in there! I have to get underneath them and see what they're looking like to know for sure, Grand Rapids is an easy ride there and back IL is a bit father but can be done in a day no problem I just need to find an open day my wife doesn't mind wrangling the kids while I try to secure a new truck

Contact the dealers to send you pictures of the undercarriage. They should have no problem doing that, this will give you more information if it is worth a drive out to check it out.

So thanks to all of you helping me out I'm even more informed, with that newfound information I've been looking to see if any of these have had the AHC serviced on the 60k intervals and have yet to see one do so, I'd have to imagine that would be viewable in the Lexus history at least, and I'd think it would be on the Carfax but I'm not sure about that. If they haven't been serviced in the past am I looking at a total system failure down the road, or if I start the maintenance program myself is it possible to get the system up to spec with no issues from the "neglect"? I know that's a pretty loaded question but trying to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into with the AHC. It sounds like an awesome system and I know almost everyone is happy with it but trying to determine how detrimental the lack of flushes can be to the system.

Lexus History would show that information where the carfax might not. Usually Lexus history will have notes on what was offered to the customer, what was done/denied and so on.

There are members on here with LX that hadn't had AHC flushed until they became owners of the vehicle, mileage being similar to the ones you're looking at. I wouldn't sweat too much about the AHC not being flushed. But hopefully the LX owners on here that have experience of not having AHC flushed at 120k+ will chime in as well.

Strange turn of events; my mother in law's step father is personal friends with the VP of Harvey Lexus and they just purchased a new Lexus from the same sales associate I'm going back and forth with. My wife's family has nothing but good things to say about the dealership, the sales staff, and their personal friend so I'm thinking this might actually work out for me! Waiting to hear back from my sales guy I'm going to ask him for some photos of the underside and try to get a deal going by this weekend hopefully I'll be able to add my own photo before August gets here!

Strange turn of events; my mother in law's step father is personal friends with the VP of Harvey Lexus and they just purchased a new Lexus from the same sales associate I'm going back and forth with. My wife's family has nothing but good things to say about the dealership, the sales staff, and their personal friend so I'm thinking this might actually work out for me! Waiting to hear back from my sales guy I'm going to ask him for some photos of the underside and try to get a deal going by this weekend hopefully I'll be able to add my own photo before August gets here!

Hmmm....I'm in the exact same position you're in. I've just started to seriously search for a 200 series LX/LC, and live in Grand Rapids. I may go check this rig out and drive it to get an idea of what they're like. Not to worry, though! I don't plan to buy anything until the fall, so I promise not to steal your find! If it's still there in October, though, all bets are off! ;)

Hmmm....I'm in the exact same position you're in. I've just started to seriously search for a 200 series LX/LC, and live in Grand Rapids. I may go check this rig out and drive it to get an idea of what they're like. Not to worry, though! I don't plan to buy anything until the fall, so I promise not to steal your find! If it's still there in October, though, all bets are off! ;)
If you do and don't mind letting me know what you think I'm all ears! If it's the right truck for you and the right time buy it! It's not mine until I put the cash on the table!

Reactions: HGB
If you do and don't mind letting me know what you think I'm all ears! If it's the right truck for you and the right time buy it! It's not mine until I put the cash on the table!

Will do. I'm assuming they won't mind me taking pics of the undercarriage. If I can get over there today, I'll let you know what I think and post pictures.

Honestly though, it's just not quite the right time for me to buy, so it'll be there for you if you want it.

I had time to go to the dealership today. Bear in mind that this was the first time I've ever been in or driven any type of LC/LX.

Exterior seems pretty good. Interior is also good. I played with the height settings and made sure 4 Lo would engage. Motor feels good, brakes feel good- no pull or wheel shake.

Here are some undercarriage pics. It's a bit crusty/rusty:
IMG_1603[1].JPG
IMG_1604[1].JPG
IMG_1605[1].JPG
IMG_1609[1].JPG
IMG_1607[1].JPG

IMG_1603[1].JPG

IMG_1604[1].JPG

IMG_1605[1].JPG

IMG_1607[1].JPG

IMG_1609[1].JPG

I had time to go to the dealership today. Bear in mind that this was the first time I've ever been in or driven any type of LC/LX.

Exterior seems pretty good. Interior is also good. I played with the height settings and made sure 4 Lo would engage. Motor feels good, brakes feel good- no pull or wheel shake.

Here are some undercarriage pics. It's a bit crusty/rusty:View attachment 2382417View attachment 2382419View attachment 2382423View attachment 2382429View attachment 2382427

View attachment 2382417

View attachment 2382419

View attachment 2382423

View attachment 2382427

View attachment 2382429

Man I can not thank you enough for saving me a trip to GR I'm going to have to pass on that like you said that is pretty crusty even for 12 years old. There's a few more I'm interested in, I'm not going to give up and I'm not going to rush it thanks again for being such a great pal for someone you don't even know it's very appreciated.

@hockeycoach18 , another idea you could look at is watching the classifieds on Mud a vehicle. Every now and then, someone who has over $100k in their 200 is selling it for $50-$60k.

To reiterate some of the good advice stated above, you are likely to love whichever choice make (as long as it isn't rusty or have interior/exterior damage). If you aren't a modder, either is great.

How are you planning on using this vehicle? And what mods are you likely to add? Good thing about the ‘11-‘13 Lexus is that the front bumper is easy to mod if you go that direction.

To be overly honest this is going to be mostly a pavement pounder, my boys play ice hockey and we have to travel through some interesting weather throughout the season. I'm mostly interested in the insane durability and reliability, and the size of the vehicle is the sweet spot for me, my 4runner is a bit small at times and my Yukon XL is too big for most uses. I pondered a sequoia or a tundra but I'm so impressed with the build quality on the Japanese made Toyota and Lexus models I'm willing to pay the premium initially for assumed long term satisfaction. I have been interested in going off roading in Michigan, we have a new park less than an hour away just for ORV and up north you can make your own paths, I'm not an avid off roader by any means but the older I get the more nature and being alone in the wilderness is appealing to me, knowing this type of truck could do that for me as well solidified that I'm fairly certain a LC or LX is what I'm after!

Checked the CarFax, this one already appears like it won't be crusty unlike the previous..
I also checked out the Lexus history a few check engine lights but nothing major at all, I got a video from them earlier just waiting on the underbody if it's good I'm going to see if I can slice a bit of the price and make a deal today, free shipping to my house if I finance through them so I might look into that and then just pay the loan off we shall see

@hockeycoach18 , if you haven't been in one of these, I suggest borrowing one or renting one for a weekend. LCs are much smaller internally than they appear. I have a '13. My wife has a '16 Sequoia, and I had '12 before my LC, and it feels twice as large - Sequoia 2nd room leg room for adults is good, LC isn't, especially if those in the front row are around 6' tall. Even Sequoia 3rd row leg room is decent as 3rd rows go. I've owned 2 Tundras, and they look really big, but the extra cab version (not double cab) actually doesn't have very much leg room for big adults. My daughter's '01 4Runner has as much or more leg room in the 2nd row as my LC. Make sure you know what you are getting.

Also, I suggest cutting a large limb from one of your bushes and dragging it back and forth across your doors immediately after getting your LC or LX - that way it won't be an emotional even when you take it offroad.

My daughter's '01 4Runner has as much or more leg room in the 2nd row as my LC. Make sure you know what you are getting.

Have you moved the 2nd row forward/backwards? An 01 T4R does not have more leg room than a 200. My sister's 5th gen has less room than my 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom