LJ78 Front Spring help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I've been running Dobinson 60mm front springs for a couple of years now. They are model C59-244. The spring rate was nice and they gave me the lift I wanted until I added a winch and steel bumper (around 150lb or 70kg plus or minus). With the extra weight the spring shape has distorted and the truck has sagged (even with addition of a 30mm spacer above them). As I run 35" tires now, the lift is no longer enough.

So I'm thinking I need some higher rate front springs. Does anyone have experience with EFS front springs? Or others? I'd like about a 60mm-75mm (2-3") lift in the front WITH my bumper/winch installed. I've been looking at the EFS TLC-104EHDE or TLC-104HHDE springs. Info here: 4WDbits Toyota Prado 70 Series I've read the EFS springs can be pretty stiff and limit articulation. I'd like to find that sweet spot where I'm not overloading the springs, yet the truck can still articulate off road.

This will be the third set of springs I've bought for the front of this truck... First was OME-872 which were about OEM lift but a bit stiffer.

OME-872 next to Dobinson C59-244:

-1FM4jM9-OeEfGGqYt0TdDpObkLts-ppPWwH73EiAljhbbmeNi2AI6UcTaaRwe9rGxRxN4wHJbr54BzQsKY2wO17_4vaBiFbcu6S3-dq4C4dXji_ArBwGjINTrElYfci9Uyf_UOoqOPMre4dHKtGUTd73N-TtfknP40JipiTsvWInX3VAFQY62TC6vx1KHxWTngRCkNiDIPcaDs78Ch4zI2syR_EPFQsCfejjCjVypHViH9PbWEodcPrIcoo01kxhMTgbHQSQn2vi3mTUWioLpzp_nrn7dpsuSsZFhZ59SWzzKEhR5nF_giKNO9nkD78Vobb4vYUzjAI8olAhYmsjxuMEHTuIqkCcdj42VxbZHZ5m5EDDSW8_iLbp2ys3pHj8ZPR_Yh0algOFEo4E4cNwfDaeRyJFekYeb8Wn8w_JqS1w-2pmD3t2bJHoQMzPY1tksZMtWJkdMHxgPYaXyL9lxsBi_jVVwGMBKsGo__EkSNvxqk0E5QSCC7GhRtyfJtC15HsCXvYceNuYly-1JLFFdkcYCINC15W2o9Slo7jegmZtPBrnvHguw9xfNOrcZkvYSlRLx_8DIrYA_F5eoCWhSGBhATq02nMQnrFm0TmFEVrXewY7kAhcLcjUDm7ZChr4f6Uz4isDfGjvC_EpTvLUcpFpHFgfDt3pVu_dXxbz__34FI_I93AHsFL=w552-h981-no

Here is a picture of what is happening to the springs. They're even worse now. This was taken last winter when I did a front axle/brake/hub rebuild. Since then I also added 30mm poly spacers. Also, I thought maybe I had too much caster correction (3 degrees), so swapped out my bushings for different ones (2 degrees), but it made no difference to the springs.

IMG_20200214_103458386_HDR.jpg

This picture is from a few months ago, but the truck front has sagged worse since then. Also, the back is heavily loaded in this picture, so is sitting lower than normal.

IMG_20200502_162655509.jpg

Last edited:
I had a mixed bag. Which I put together from all sorts of places. Rear springs were std front 80 series coils.
Front springs were custom made from a freind.
Off the shelf stuff here in NZ are only a few choices. Cobra springs based in ChCh. Could try Force4 in akl. Talk to Phil about EFS options.

I had a mixed bag. Which I put together from all sorts of places. Rear springs were std front 80 series coils.
Front springs were custom made from a freind.
Off the shelf stuff here in NZ are only a few choices. Cobra springs based in ChCh. Could try Force4 in akl. Talk to Phil about EFS options.

Thanks very much for the help!

@kbushnz and @clintnz what springs do/did you guys run in your LJ7x's? Whats popular for a 3" lift in NZ?

I'm no help sorry. The first lifted springs I got were Tough Dog but I was sent the wrong front springs. While wondering what to do we found some random ones in the scrap pile outside my mates workshop that fitted & I have run those ever since.

Cheers
Clint

I'm no help sorry. The first lifted springs I got were Tough Dog but I was sent the wrong front springs. While wondering what to do we found some random ones in the scrap pile outside my mates workshop that fitted & I have run those ever since.

Cheers
Clint

Haha, thanks Clint! I wish I had access to random stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom