Calling all Snorkel Owners-Come on in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLC2013

SILVER Star
Threads
I finally took the plunge and purchased a snorkel for my 2013 LC. Purchased the safari airmax for the 5.7 gasser from Cruiser Outfitters. Kurt was a pleasure to talk to and super helpful. Wonderful experience doing business with them.

I have scoured the forum and read up on all the snorkel threads as well as watched the youTube videos which was immensely helpful and I feel confident tackling the install myself.
So far I have purchased a 4 1/2" hole saw and the step bit as these seem like the only tools I didn't have on hand.

Curious to know if anyone has some sage advice to pass along, it would be much appreciated.

I am most nervous about drilling into the A-pillar. Anyone tried some other method to secure the snorkel at the A-pillar? thinking I could vinyal wrap the a-pillar and then use a strong adhesive to sure the snorkel and the bracket to the wrap/a-pillar.

Thank guys.

Cut that sucker, paint the holes, and dump some rtv into the a-pillar. Watch out when the hole saw bites, it’ll spin a drill HARD.

thansk for tips. Curious if only one 4 1/2” hole is necessary or if I must extend it to an oval with two cuts/holes? To fit and install the snorkel.

thansk for tips. Curious if only one 4 1/2” hole is necessary or if I must extend it to an oval with two cuts/holes? To fit and install the snorkel.

It’s 2 ovals. Drill 2 holes and then cut out the diamonds in the middle. I used a cut off wheel on my grinder. A dremel takes too long, the fender metal is shockingly thick.

I used a jig saw as the hole saw I was using was too harsh to control jig saw worked well.

Masking tape, gloves, glasses, measure 4x, and go for it! Keep in mind this was for a TJM, so the hole location(s) are different for yours I'm sure.

ACtC-3d11LLgFHUqueCJwg_fWGxdAC1RQd8C0WoBC8Fx3LA3Sgzso6tRjCk8nrnyJcRye_8NbZ9LyBG5zF4bLJaDyW2cjLapwSmCHfqzWrqqLxvEmdbtCKIIViBX8We_5o11bSuWL6FtG5J5LgUFJFtrG1cu5w=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3ev_jjyTgKUD1t04SMYoA1ePycVqQZuL01IHvMBgwzKLCveLRUPun2t-FACwOhu-V6wOd5fIJrUNdCfOC_wTqji3pDhD8xyO0u4pWv9kyjFAjpmD3FJooB-vm1m8gVcf6uk0fxQ6ZEdXs9B5cZx3j4quQ=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3covsZ8mLML5kFnlFC8eJSRzPgnUv59XusN0ptXm8GvByWNaisQCHVvYitkte1dxBGVIB8YyhdLXCaL25U0yvz0e73tlm4zHAsRuHAZdnyFUPvWiddPIN5vYWheP5TYyE4VbLO58TjzpE59gx6iGnpO2A=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3cTIazD7RSeFptRT-rQjigWX6UtOKWAQQQUl6Jl0tqulft4g1C7XdFePBOzvqUI1P5qEZpTky4BRqwafaCRvyi9jn69OFmwZnnfp4V18IKUCIc4mDV0I1YLXYme1LmabGL01N9TTO8s0OtT2FvUAVcPtw=w703-h937-no

Last edited:
T
Masking tape, gloves, glasses, measure 4x, and go for it! Keep in mind this was for a TJM, so the hole location(s) are different for yours I'm sure.

ACtC-3d11LLgFHUqueCJwg_fWGxdAC1RQd8C0WoBC8Fx3LA3Sgzso6tRjCk8nrnyJcRye_8NbZ9LyBG5zF4bLJaDyW2cjLapwSmCHfqzWrqqLxvEmdbtCKIIViBX8We_5o11bSuWL6FtG5J5LgUFJFtrG1cu5w=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3ev_jjyTgKUD1t04SMYoA1ePycVqQZuL01IHvMBgwzKLCveLRUPun2t-FACwOhu-V6wOd5fIJrUNdCfOC_wTqji3pDhD8xyO0u4pWv9kyjFAjpmD3FJooB-vm1m8gVcf6uk0fxQ6ZEdXs9B5cZx3j4quQ=w1250-h937-no
Thanks, nice job taping it all off, I’ll be sure to get that kind of coverage before the cutting begins.

T

Thanks, nice job taping it all off, I’ll be sure to get that kind of coverage before the cutting begins.

I didn't want the hole saw or pilot hole to move on me once it hit the slippery paint, so I went a little crazy with the tape. I also mocked up the snorkel against the A pillar a few times using tape before drilling any holes there (added 2 pics to my post above), and that helped get the alignment just right.

I finally took the plunge and purchased a snorkel for my 2013 LC. Purchased the safari airmax for the 5.7 gasser from Cruiser Outfitters. Kurt was a pleasure to talk to and super helpful. Wonderful experience doing business with them.

I have scoured the forum and read up on all the snorkel threads as well as watched the youTube videos which was immensely helpful and I feel confident tackling the install myself.
So far I have purchased a 4 1/2" hole saw and the step bit as these seem like the only tools I didn't have on hand.

Curious to know if anyone has some sage advice to pass along, it would be much appreciated.

I am most nervous about drilling into the A-pillar. Anyone tried some other method to secure the snorkel at the A-pillar? thinking I could vinyal wrap the a-pillar and then use a strong adhesive to sure the snorkel and the bracket to the wrap/a-pillar.

Thank guys.

You know that saying,
“Measure twice, cut once”?

-Scrap that saying...

...Measure like 50 gozillion times...
...then cut that big hole. :hillbilly:

But seriously, tape down the template. It works well.

Touch up paint, silicone, hole saw, step bit. Worst part of the job is like any other, the anticipation. Careful on the hole saw like stated above. When that thing bites.... watch out.

Don’t worry about drilling hole. Remember, the snorkel install over the drilled area. Any imperfection is hide behind the snorkel. :)

beside taping the fender, I used use some Electric tape on my drill bit as stopper. I measure the drill bit length say 10mm and I tape the drill bit with lots of electric tape. This help with drilling hole on the a-pillar.

Since there are a lot of snorkel users on your tread...

How many run their snorkel facing rearward?

Is there any harm in doing this?

I live in an area where we get a ton of rain and frequent hurricanes, so generally I run it facing rearward. I have noticed most the the boggers and mudders also do that in this area.

Since there are a lot of snorkel users on your tread...

How many run their snorkel facing rearward?

Is there any harm in doing this?

I live in an area where we get a ton of rain and frequent hurricanes, so generally I run it facing rearward. I have noticed most the the boggers and mudders also do that in this area.
I run mine forward facing. Ive had it in some pretty wicked snowstorms, rainstorms, and hail. Zero issues. I can see though why mudders would turn it around. Never had a reason to here in crazy Colorado weather.

The Safari ones have drains for water, even in heavy rains etc. IMO I run mine backward in snow, can get blocked otherwise. Be careful running them backwards, in heavy river crossings/puddles water can hit the windscreen and get directed straight down the snorkel head.

Has anyone been able to purchase one? Looks like they lost the cad drawings. Any other solutions? I have my Mx hauler I need to tamper down
The Safari ones have drains for water, even in heavy rains etc. IMO I run mine backward in snow, can get blocked otherwise. Be careful running them backwards, in heavy river crossings/puddles water can hit the windscreen and get directed straight down the snorkel head.

You mean be careful running them forward correct?

I have the Safari one.

Snorkel arrived today and am getting excited to tackle this project in the morning. I am a little uneasy as the supplied instructions are a low resolution black and white printout. Haven't been able to find a better copy online for the SS88HPE.

Anyone have access to it or a link? My googling only produced a color high resolution copy of the hilux instructions.

13938C90-D4C8-4CB4-A386-03246C42B0E6.jpeg
Start Chopping!!!! No Regret

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom