WARNING :: Dometic CFX3 cooler units (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a warning: if you have a dometic CFX3 cooler or are thinking about one, be very cautious and test it. We had one installed in our motorhome and it about burned the coach down. It is a dual power cooler meaning it’ll run in 120v and 12v via two separate plugs. Apparently there is a flaw in the power transfer switch and my cooler was sending nearly 48v back through the 12v plug and through my 12v system in the coach. I’m waiting on Dometic to send me a check for the damages that are now over $8k.

The unit I have is CFX3-75DZ (dual-zone).

GOOD GRIEF! Thanks for the PSA. Keep us posted.

Recall announced...

Just a warning: if you have a dometic CFX3 cooler or are thinking about one, be very cautious and test it. We had one installed in our motorhome and it about burned the coach down. It is a dual power cooler meaning it’ll run in 120v and 12v via two separate plugs. Apparently there is a flaw in the power transfer switch and my cooler was sending nearly 48v back through the 12v plug and through my 12v system in the coach. I’m waiting on Dometic to send me a check for the damages that are now over $8k.

The unit I have is CFX3-75DZ (dual-zone).
Could you please explain how did this happen? How could a cooler send 48v back to the vehicles 12v system? Are they plug in together? My friend got the same cooler reason I'm asking I'm also considering getting one. Did Dometic admit to being at fault?

Could you please explain how did this happen? How could a cooler send 48v back to the vehicles 12v system? Are they plug in together? My friend got the same cooler reason I'm asking I'm also considering getting one. Did Dometic admit to being at fault?

The dometic said their engineers discovered the issue shortly after I reported mine almost burned the coach down. Apparently there is a power transfer switch that is faulty causing the circuitry to take the 120v and transfer power BACK through the 12v plug. Wild. Had I not known what to look for when I did, it would have been a total loss.
They have admitted fault and said they’d be taking care of all my repairs. Had to replace all 8 house batteries, slide out controller, slide out motor, 4 MCD power shades, a DVD player, and a rear AC unit. I’m super lucky things weren’t worse especially after I had everything fixed!! It was just by chance a small truck shop in Sparta TN checked the 12v bus bar and was getting 27.3 volts back through it.

C8E0AC75-B40E-4B7A-AA3C-5BE13F19A159.jpeg
0ECF53D8-9396-4EAA-9021-0C86917B18EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to hear they are taking care of you, so what is the fix for owners like you that already caused damage? are they doing a swap on all other units? When will they get an actual fix for the current inventory? Thanks for posting this hope you get you RV repaired soon.

Glad to hear they are taking care of you, so what is the fix for owners like you that already caused damage? are they doing a swap on all other units? When will they get an actual fix for the current inventory? Thanks for posting this hope you get you RV repaired soon.

That’s what they’ve said. No official word or ruling but it hasn’t put a damper on our summer travels. Just minor first world rich people inconveniences. Everything’s pretty much repaired except for a few small items. It appears that I can either return it or affix a sticker on the side of it and only use one plug at a time.... doesn’t really make sense but I’ll opt to return it for another cooler/model/brand.

Ouch. We have a CFX3-75DZ we’ve used a couple times as well and oddly our Jackery 1000 cooked itself the 2nd time we used it and needed to be replaced. I was thinking the sketching power in the Airstream we rented did it in but after reading this I’m wondering if it could have been the Dometic. Damn and 2 weeks before we leave on a 2 week road trip. Would hate to lose the Dometic now

After reading the notice from Dometic I don’t see this being an issue for us as we never run the Dometic off AC and DC power source simultaneously.

Ouch. We have a CFX3-75DZ we’ve used a couple times as well and oddly our Jackery 1000 cooked itself the 2nd time we used it and needed to be replaced. I was thinking the sketching power in the Airstream we rented did it in but after reading this I’m wondering if it could have been the Dometic. Damn and 2 weeks before we leave on a 2 week road trip. Would hate to lose the Dometic now
Just use the 120v and you’ll be fine.

Just use the 120v and you’ll be fine.
Yeah I have been. I originally was hoping I could plug the Jackery into the 120v and then the Dometic in to Jackery while driving so we could keep the Jackery charged between campsites while also running the Dometic. Turns out my Jackery must have too much draw for the LC’s 120v outlet because it would only temporarily start charging when plugged in then the input wattage would jump around on the Jackery screen before the charging quit altogether. Luckily the Jackery will charge either of the 12v outlets in the LC but haven’t tried to see if the 12V outlet would charge the Jackery while the Dometic was running off it but somehow I doubt it. So now I’m thinking Dometic in the far back plugged into the 110v and the Jackery riding more upfront so it can charge off the 12v.

Dometic will not be repairing or replacing units. Return for a refund or get a packet of stickers to put on your faulty fridge warning you not to keep the 12V DC cable plugged in while runnering on AC. THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS!

Charging from the AC inverter while driving requires a wiring mod so the inverter doesn't drop from 400W to 100W mode when you put it in drive and go more than a few mph. Notice the 400W light on the switch goes out when driving. Not sure why Toyota did this.

Last edited:
So they are offering to refund your money?
Yes. Or keep it and run on 120v or 12v separately. the unit is still under a 2 year warranty and they will refund your money at any point in time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom