Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If there’s ever a ‘ MUD award for the best “Cruiser photography” you and @FJBen will be in a tight competition. :)

Granted, I'm not hauling 8 people around, but I've never had any hill climbing experiences like you describe with my 3B powered Troopy. I have driven it up to the Eisenhower tunnel (elevation 11,150ft), Vail Pass (10,600ft), Wolf Creek Pass (10,800ft), and others. Never went into first gear. Not sure I ever went into 2nd on any of those. Don't think so, but if I did, it was only briefly 'cause some d*cktard cut me off and I lost momentum. There's a section of Boulder Canyon called "the narrows" that's over 10% grade (which is damn steep for most highways), and for a short distance on that I might have to go into 2nd, but as soon as the steep bit is over, it's back to 3rd, then 4th by the time I get closer to Nederland.

Maybe it's just the extra weight you're carrying, but you might want to check a few things that might be slowing you down. Are your brakes dragging? When did you last adjust your valves? Compression still good? Fuel mixture and timing OK? Injectors? Not much to go wrong with these motors, but they should do better than what you've described. Are you getting a lot of smoke? Is it getting unusually hot?

Try a run up a hill without passengers--just empty--and see how it does. If it's still as slow as you say, you need to figure out why. Something's up.
I've also driven by myself some up here and while it's a tiny bit better (maybe I can lug it in 3rd at 40 kph instead of revving high in 2nd) it really isn't anything noticeable. We are only at 3,000 - 4,000 ft around here. Soooooo something is up then, just a matter of what it is... Even on slight inclines, I'll be going around 60mph in 5th and as soon as I hit that incline it saps speed, within another 5 seconds I'm down into 4th and then right after that into 3rd (which will hold for a bit) but if it's long enough I always end up in 2nd.
We just redid the brakes, the front left was dragging but no more, Just adjusted the valves 5,000 miles ago, Compression - no clue, however it starts great anytime anywhere without glowplugs (ik its not cold but still), Injectors were rebuilt in the past 10,000 miles, as for Fuel mixture and Timing - it's probably ok? No smoke at all really, anytime I notice a slight amount of smoke is if I rev the engine really high then let off and rev it right up again. And it's perfectly fine with temp, water temp stays at 190-195 and the OEM gauge has never moved once it's warmed up. Any ideas of what could be wrong, I'll appreciate! haha

If it makes you feel any better, my 12HT Troopy still goes 40mph up really steep grades on the highway and we're over 7,000' here but my fuel screw is also down a bit to keep EGT lower.
hmmmmm, makes me feel a bitttt better. Would've thought the 12HT would preform better, haha

Last edited:
I'd get that tire off the roof....that surely doesn't help speed or gas mileage.

Hope to see this Troopy around soon.
I would love to do so! But... The spare is full-size, and too big to fit underneath the Troopy. Don't really have any other options:confused:

If there’s ever a ‘ MUD award for the best “Cruiser photography” you and @FJBen will be in a tight competition. :)
Thank you! Really appreciate it, and I do have to say I agree. FJBens's photos are amazing. If you want to see any more of the Troopy, then follow me on insta @johnathan_ciarrocca

Last edited:
On the rear or inside?
There is some addon for the rear that my dad looked into that the later Troopys, I believe had from the factory? (may be horribly wrong, don't quote me on that) Anyways he said it wasn't compatible with this old of a Troopy. As for inside, I'm constantly driving 8 people around in it, so there really isn't much room to spare. So until I dish out big $$$ on a beefy rear bumper with a spare and jerry can holder, I'll be stuck with it in the roof.

A BJ73 or BJ70 of the same year would have had the spare on the backdoor but yes the door is reinforced to carry the sparewheel in this case so you can't just screw in your spare on the door.
These doors are not too hard to find around here (Europe) but I guess transport to the US would be dissuasive and the door would most likely be white.

If the wheel doesn't fit under I suppose you are running bigger wheel than stock (>31"), it could also be a reason your 3B has difficulties, those engines are reputed to be very sensible to the gearing and become slugish with bigger tire if you don't change the ratio.
29" or 31" skinny tires is the best way to drive "fast" with them.

hmmmmm, makes me feel a bitttt better. Would've thought the 12HT would preform better, haha

Yeah, they do for sure but for some reason this one's IP has been messed with so much in Oz, I can't find the right balance between smoke, EGT, and power, so I'm erring on the side of lower EGTs.

Yeah, they do for sure but for some reason this one's IP has been messed with so much in Oz, I can't find the right balance between smoke, EGT, and power, so I'm erring on the side of lower EGTs.
Better be safe that sorry, still sucks you can’t figure it out tho😕

I'd get that tire off the roof....that surely doesn't help speed or gas mileage.

Can't help to have it up there, but I can't imagine it would account for all of the noted difference.

There is some add on for the rear that my dad looked into that the later Troopys, I believe had from the factory?

Troopies that came originally with the auxiliary fuel tank had the spare mounted to the rear door from the factory (because the extra fuel tank went where the spare had been). As others have noted, the door that carries the spare has significant interior bracing to help with the extra weight. The doors that carry the spare are available new from Toyota via the usual vendors, but aren't cheap to buy or ship, and you'd need to paint them to match. It would bolt right on, though. You need a rear bumper anyway, just get one with a swing away for the spare. Problem solved. Talk to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

If the wheel doesn't fit under I suppose you are running bigger wheel than stock (>31"), it could also be a reason your 3B has difficulties, those engines are reputed to be very sensitive to the gearing and become sluggish with bigger tire if you don't change the ratio.

This is a very likely cause (at least partially) of your extra slowness issue. What size tires are you running? These trucks originally came with 7.50R-16 tire size, which is about 31.5" diameter, and very narrow. I'm running 235/85-R16 on my Troopy, which are similar diameter, but a little wider (still a pretty skinny tire to most people). If you're running a bigger diameter tire, it's the same effect as taller gearing, which is harder for engine to turn. If you're running a wider tire, they'll be heavier and also, arguably, create more drag.

I happened to drive up into the mountains today, and have some fresh data for reference. The road I drove is currently under major construction (CO119, Boulder to Nederland), so there was some stop and go, but I was able to get some info you might find helpful. Boulder is at around 5500', Nederland about 8200'. Most of the drive is a relatively gradual climb, with 4%-6% grades typical. I was easily able to drive that in 4th gear at maybe 80kp/h. Traffic and the curves of the road precluded more speed. There is a section of the road that steepens to about an 8% grade, which is steeper than you'd find on any Interstate highway AFAIK, and I had to shift to 3rd, as much for slowing traffic as for the hill, but I did not go back into 4th until the road leveled out a bit. At the very steep part of the road, which has a over 10% grade, steeper than you'd find on most any large public road, I lost momentum due to pedestrians crossing the road and had to shift to 2nd. Didn't get back into 3rd on this bit, but it's a very short section, and I was able to get into 3rd immediately after. From there the road goes back to a more gradual climb, and I was back into 4th most of the rest of the way.

For reference, mine is a 1987 Troopy, Euro market like yours, but with only 56k miles on it from new. Totally stock and original. 4.11 gearing. (BTW, I don't remember which rear axle yours has in it. Post a pic of the VIN tag and we can decode it for you). If for some reason, you've got taller gearing, that would be part of it, too. Especially in combination with larger tires.

Also, the fact that you're not getting any smoke at altitude and under load might indicate that you're running a little lean. Less fuel = less power. At altitude especially, I'd expect it to run a little rich, if anything, since there's less air up there. Mine smokes some at higher altitudes and under load, which I've always assumed is normal.

You need a rear bumper anyway, just get one with a swing away for the spare. Problem solved. Talk to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.
The issue I see here is that his main usage is carrying people in the back and the separate wheel carrier on the bumper would make difficult for people inside to get out by them self. If it only blocks the large door they may still be able get out by the small one but definitely not very nice for a passenger bus.

For reference, mine is a 1987 Troopy, Euro market like yours, but with only 56k miles on it from new.
Yeah that also another point here, as some said the 3B will never let you down even with high mileage but it will make you feel progressively that it is tired ;)
But I'd still fix the gearing before to go looking for a refresh of the engine.

Can't help to have it up there, but I can't imagine it would account for all of the noted difference.

Troopies that came originally with the auxiliary fuel tank had the spare mounted to the rear door from the factory (because the extra fuel tank went where the spare had been). As others have noted, the door that carries the spare has significant interior bracing to help with the extra weight. The doors that carry the spare are available new from Toyota via the usual vendors, but aren't cheap to buy or ship, and you'd need to paint them to match. It would bolt right on, though. You need a rear bumper anyway, just get one with a swing away for the spare. Problem solved. Talk to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

This is a very likely cause (at least partially) of your extra slowness issue. What size tires are you running? These trucks originally came with 7.50R-16 tire size, which is about 31.5" diameter, and very narrow. I'm running 235/85-R16 on my Troopy, which are similar diameter, but a little wider (still a pretty skinny tire to most people). If you're running a bigger diameter tire, it's the same effect as taller gearing, which is harder for engine to turn. If you're running a wider tire, they'll be heavier and also, arguably, create more drag.

I happened to drive up into the mountains today, and have some fresh data for reference. The road I drove is currently under major construction (CO119, Boulder to Nederland), so there was some stop and go, but I was able to get some info you might find helpful. Boulder is at around 5500', Nederland about 8200'. Most of the drive is a relatively gradual climb, with 4%-6% grades typical. I was easily able to drive that in 4th gear at maybe 80kp/h. Traffic and the curves of the road precluded more speed. There is a section of the road that steepens to about an 8% grade, which is steeper than you'd find on any Interstate highway AFAIK, and I had to shift to 3rd, as much for slowing traffic as for the hill, but I did not go back into 4th until the road leveled out a bit. At the very steep part of the road, which has a over 10% grade, steeper than you'd find on most any large public road, I lost momentum due to pedestrians crossing the road and had to shift to 2nd. Didn't get back into 3rd on this bit, but it's a very short section, and I was able to get into 3rd immediately after. From there the road goes back to a more gradual climb, and I was back into 4th most of the rest of the way.

For reference, mine is a 1987 Troopy, Euro market like yours, but with only 56k miles on it from new. Totally stock and original. 4.11 gearing. (BTW, I don't remember which rear axle yours has in it. Post a pic of the VIN tag and we can decode it for you). If for some reason, you've got taller gearing, that would be part of it, too. Especially in combination with larger tires.
Thank you so much for the data to compare with, its a huge help and means a lot. As for tire size, I'm running a 235/80-R17. As I stated before, I always end up in 2nd if the incline goes on for long enough, leading me to think its probably running lean, on top of the lack of smoke at any time while I drive. Here's a video I took of the Troopy going uphill this morning to kinda give anyone a better idea of what's happening. I'll adjust the fuel screw to give me a bit more sometime soon and keep everyone updated on if that solves the problem.
1595871157041.png

Theres the plate you asked for to use your magical decoding powers on. Also how are you able to measure what grade you are driving on? or do you just know. Again thank you for all the help.

The issue I see here is that his main usage is carrying people in the back and the separate wheel carrier on the bumper would make difficult for people inside to get out by them self. If it only blocks the large door they may still be able get out by the small one but definitely not very nice for a passenger bus.

Yeah that also another point here, as some said the 3B will never let you down even with high mileage but it will make you feel progressively that it is tired ;)
But I'd still fix the gearing before to go looking for a refresh of the engine.
Yes that's the one problem I have with putting a massive rear bumper back there, is it'll just make everything much harder to get in and out for all my passengers. And my Troopy is only at 125k miles which is well over gilmorneau's Troopy, but still, I wouldn't think it would be super worn quite yet. Then again who knows the history or what it has been through. There's no telling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom