Opinions please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this 96 FJZ80 last weekend with the intention of parting it out. Now I'm not so sure.
20200725_102623.jpg

The bad:
The engine is knocking a bit, sounds like maybe the main bearings and it smokes after it has warmed up. It does not sound like rod knock to me. It is a re-manufactured engine with about 10K miles on it supposedly. It feels strong but it definitely needs some work. The rear axle housing is bent and the drive axle/shaft on that side has the flange broken off. Looks like the clutch on the AC compressor needs a new bearing. It needs tires too. The seats are pretty worn out along with the rest of the interior

The good:
It has front and rear e-lockers as well as the center diff lock. It has an OME 2.5" lift springs with shocks, A replacement set of Nitro Rear axles, A roof rack and a Snorkel. I did get the rear axle back on it this morning and drove it slowly around the shop in Front wheel drive Low-range. The tranny seems to shift fine and the center and front locker work. The rear driveshaft and differential were out of the truck. I took the rear diff apart because it was full of dust and grit from sitting in a barn. I cleaned it all up and put in a new crush sleeve and pinion seal. The locker actuator works well.

My question is: Should I put it back in service or continue on with the part out? Thanks!

Pls let me know if you are parting out locker axles and harness. What would want for the whole truck. Located in Dallas. Pls PM me.

Pls let me know if you are parting out locker axles and harness. What would want for the whole truck. Located in Dallas. Pls PM me.

Disregard. Did not see that that axle housing is bent during my first read.

Bottom end bearings the most common failure on these engines besides head gasket. Bad BEB can cause piston slap as well.

Sounds like a bad rebuild or it was run low on oil.

Cheers

Bottom end bearings the most common failure on these engines besides head gasket. Bad BEB can cause piston slap as well.

Sounds like a bad rebuild or it was run low on oil.

Cheers
Bottom end as in Big end of the rod or Mains on the crank? or both? edit: I found lots of information on the 1HD's but not on the 1FZ's yet.

Buy a used good engine and drop in it, put it back in service.

Buy a replacement used rear axle housing, install the locking diff, and put it back in service.

@arcteryx is in TX. Check to see what he has for used parts.

Save them when you can.

I'm sure someone will want to buy it for $20K after you get it running......... ;) :rofl:

Put it back on the road :)

I'm with @White Stripe, if rusty, part it out, if solid, fix it.

I'm in the final phase of bringing a dead '96 FZJ back to life. Lower end was shot, with a knock that would make your hair stand up. Body and most running gear were in very good condition so I took a less orthodox route and transplanted an lq4 into it, along with a 4l60e trans. The Toyota trans appeared to be fine, but the new engine/trans came as a package and adapters are easy to come by for the 4l60e to Toyota transfer case. I have the oem engine and trans if anyone is interested.

I say, if it's not rusted out, part out the drivetrain, swap some tons and 42's and a Cummins or V8 in it, and beat the snot out of it.

You'll probably make up in FZJ parts to pay for most of the one ton parts.

Good news!

I washed all the mud off of the undercarriage and there is no rust. I also cleaned up the dash and the glove box. In the glove box I found a note that said "Power steering pump" and nothing else. That jogged my memory about a ps pump potentially causing a knocking noise. I did a quick Google search and discovered that this pump is gear driven and often the drive gear gets mangled when swapping it over. I removed the pump and the noise is gone! I started cleaning up the gear but ran out of time for today. Now I just need to deal with engine burning oil/smoking, which I hope is just valve seals.
20200801_161126.jpg

I still haven't finished this 80 and I think I'm going to sell it as is. I need to face the fact that I just don't have the time to finish it anymore. I bought a parts truck last year that had a good full floater rear axle. I did the mods to the housing to allow the E-locker to fit then jacked up both trucks and swapped the axles. Its now a runner driver but the engine still has a 2 problems. It pings under moderate acceleration and it sometimes has some sticky valves and only runs on 1-2 cylinders when first started. It cleans up and runs normally after a few seconds. It runs remarkably quiet when its running well. I'm sure the a few of the valves are sticking at first then releasing. I'm guessing this is all symptomatic of leaking valve seals. The pinging is probably a combination of 4+ year old gas and carboned up combustion chambers. I think the head needs to come off and get refreshed but I don't have time to do it. The parts truck has a supposedly bad motor but hopefully the head is good or at least good enough to rebuild.

My question is how much is it worth currently? Combined with a 1994 non-locked non-running slightly rusty parts truck? The parts truck has a full drivetrain with Drivers seat only, and a bent rear axle.;)
PXL_20220618_204818078.jpg

PXL_20220618_225339149.jpg

PXL_20220618_212521155.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom