Oil filter: high capacity v. standard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,

The cruiseroutfitters.com site has the high capacity filter for a 40 selling for $42, the regular filter is about $7. Would you expect 6x the life out of a larger filter or is it more expensive because they are discontinued (I think)? Any real advantage to the large filter? I searched the forums and couldn't find a good answer to this.

Thanks for your time.

This gets overthought...really overthought. The small toyota filters are about $4.50 from any of the online Toyota wholesale parts sellers. I just bought one last week. I use McGeorge out of Richmond VA, but there are others. They're OEM, they're well constructed, they'll ship them to your door. The big ones are overpriced for the marginal difference, just due to supply and demand. You could change your oil twice as often with the smaller filters and still come out ahead. You don't need to, but you could.

Remember, these motors have been used worldwide, under the worst conditions, using whatever oil happens to be around. If the oil is changed at all. They're run on Yak piss at redline climbing mountains. Our obsession with micron size of filter passages and which oil has the slightest marginal gain is energy best used elsewhere, IMHO. I say us, as I fight this tendency myself. Bottom line, not a 9k RPM Ferrari motor. Small OEM filter and some Rotella 15w40, zinc additive is not a bad idea.

This gets overthought...really overthought. The small toyota filters are about $4.50 from any of the online Toyota wholesale parts sellers. I just bought one last week. I use McGeorge out of Richmond VA, but there are others. They're OEM, they're well constructed, they'll ship them to your door. The big ones are overpriced for the marginal difference, just due to supply and demand. You could change your oil twice as often with the smaller filters and still come out ahead. You don't need to, but you could.

Remember, these motors have been used worldwide, under the worst conditions, using whatever oil happens to be around. If the oil is changed at all. They're run on Yak piss at redline climbing mountains. Our obsession with micron size of filter passages and which oil has the slightest marginal gain is energy best used elsewhere, IMHO. I say us, as I fight this tendency myself. Bottom line, not a 9k RPM Ferrari motor. Small OEM filter and some Rotella 15w40, zinc additive is not a bad idea.

Well said. My 1969 engine does not even filter 100% of the oil. There is a pressure deal that if the oil gets to bad, it will not filter at all. And the engine will run whatever swamp is still there.

What is the octane rating on yak piss?

I bought a 2004 land cruiser 100 series with the 4.7L V8 with 100k miles. Drove it to 206k miles (still ran like new). I used the same small OEM oil filter (yzzd3?) that fits on my ‘76 FJ40. I did 4-5k oil changes with conventional 5w30. Ya, I think the small filter is good enough for a 30 year old, 100 HP tractor motor that never gets beyond 3500 rpm.

I run the smaller yz filter on my 80 and the large filter on the 40 only because I bought a pile of them a while back before they were priced like gold. I will be switching to the yz when I use the last large filter.

There is sometimes conflict with a large aftermarket filter and a distributor vac diaphragm. Plenty of room with my non-USA distributor and the little OEM filter.

My concern with oil on these motors is sludge build up, particularly in the winter when condensation is normal on the PCV tube, etc. If you soak your rocker arm assembly parts in gasoline, or solvent, during disassembly, you observe fine rust dust, plenty of rust in my PCV hard pipe too. I figure that it is from the sludge that was built up on them. I'm a big fan of changing oil. I'd bet that the worst stuff in the oil is soluble or emulsified, and passes right thru the filter.

I like the little Toyota filter, and, it being accessible and inexpensive, I could go thru several filters per one showroom OEM filter If I wanted to, but it isn't like I think that it is the weak link in the oiling system. I get my filter from businesses that specialize in Land Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom