Fuel Pump Scale/Crystals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a project that's been sitting for a while. I was a little flustered that I couldn't get it to crank. I put the bench 12v source to the pump and nothing, which finally had me cracking open the fuel tank. I found the filter had basically disintegrated. The black rubber grommet at the bottom was doing some weird stuff. Anyone know what this is? I assume sitting for a year with the same gas has a big part to do with it. How to clean up? drain and pull out the parts in the sump? hoping my lines are ok, but I have a filter near the tank so it shouldn't be a super long run....

20200724_153002.jpg
20200724_153040.jpg
20200724_153007.jpg

That looks like the pump has been replaced in the past. As I recall the original pump has a plug in connection not the ring terminals and nuts. You can see the wiring has been modified going to the pump and the pump body is a different finish/color. The pump diameter of looks larger than stock in the second picture therefore the rubber grommet would no longer fit into the proper location on the mounting bracket. The pump looks to be the same size/diameter as the OEM Supra Turbo pump but more than likely some other brand than Aisin which is OEM.

That looks like the pump has been replaced in the past. As I recall the original pump has a plug in connection not the ring terminals and nuts. You can see the wiring has been modified going to the pump and the pump body is a different finish/color. The pump diameter of looks larger than stock in the second picture therefore the rubber grommet would no longer fit into the proper location on the mounting bracket. The pump looks to be the same size/diameter as the OEM Supra Turbo pump but more than likely some other brand than Aisin which is OEM.
It’s a Supra pump.

OP,
Looks to me it sat in the tank with not much fuel and condensation. The rubber isolator’s condition sure is odd. Not sure what would cause that.

Crack in your factory gas tank, lots of threads on that subject, So instead of fixing the factory gas tank you could go for one of the aftermarket long range tanks and be done with that problem forever.
It’s a Supra pump.

OP,
Looks to me it sat in the tank with not much fuel and condensation. The rubber isolator’s condition sure is odd. Not sure what would cause that.

Correct, and a crack in the filler hose to the tank letting in moisture. It's dry here in Colorado. Do you think the insulator may be the culprit of the fuel pump not running? It's touching in other areas too....

Many of us have replaced the original mesh screen and found them (and the cushion) to be intact after 25 years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

So wondering if someone dumped a ? too strong of a solvent (Acetone, Methylene Chloride, Xylene) into the tank at some point during it's life what with the screen mesh completely gone and the rubber cushion looking melted?? IDK

The pump is likely is corroded internally which kills them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom