Bobby (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

majdomo

SILVER Star
Threads
Alright... months of Craigslisting, Facebooking, Mudding and looking high and low, this popped up in my FB feed last night. It was up for all of 30 minutes, before I was able to haul down the freeway to check this out. BUT, it’s official, this n00b and long-time lurker finally found his 3x locked 80:

CFF9791E-3E38-4DFE-8C68-268B203F359E.jpeg

We name cars in our family, and the kiddos have settled on Bob, or Bobby Offroad, to complement Wallace (1970 BMW 2002), Joanne (1991 BMW 318iS), and Eloise (2014 RX350 - wife’s car). This rig will be replacing Fred, the absolutely perfect but 2WD 3rd Gen T4R. Dispersed camping here we come, FU COVID!

219K miles, single owner, but purchased from nephew (...idk...). Though first in line, he had at least 3 others queued up to see it if I passed. Well.

Lockers work and engage (checked). Interior is in fine shape for what I’ve seen in the market. Paint in great condition except the roof, which I’ll have to do some work on (as in, buff and wax and forget). Everything just works. Tons of records plus dealer-serviced until about 2012 (checked the VIN on the Toyota site). Runs a little warmer than what I’m used to - temp gauge crept up past halfway on the way home, which includes a lot of highway driving and a big hill at the end. Y’all will let me know if that’s normal if you could, plenty of coolant in the overflow tank after the drive home. Will work on that in the sort-out. Oil leak which looks like it’s coming from either the front crank seal or the oil pump. Will get to both probably in the next few weeks. Aftermarket radio, backup camera, door locks. Needs a new antenna mast. Feel lucky.

More photos:

279DEC19-505F-4878-BD28-32473D31A629.jpeg

2294619F-432C-449E-91E4-52B16FB2B542.jpeg

18262FCE-D81E-4E40-9E2D-E7800DE79174.jpeg

This is the money shot:
A873B67E-A200-42F2-89C2-8596AEE62CB3.jpeg

Last edited:
More photos:
53580943-D6BF-4F9B-A26A-5AB5D79285C7.jpeg

9017B24D-29A9-49F2-ACE6-43128034DBB3.jpeg

Pic of the oil leak. Hoping this isn’t too serious. Made a big ol’ mess down the pan though:
51D817C0-A1FA-4C9F-8179-0E66B295CFB0.jpeg

New master cylinder, records indicating the valve cover gasket done like 8 years back. Trans fluid nice and pink, same with PS fluid. Coolant is Prestone green. Hm.
EBB74FE0-D998-4878-A3EB-A2B338295FC4.jpeg

Oil leak from above, belts are shot:
8E2E19E3-B88F-49B4-B8F0-48788EA39B5F.jpeg

Welcome to the club :flipoff2:.....

Welcome and nice Cruiser! Always wanted a green one

Great find at a fair price. Welcome to MUD !!

Alright... months of Craigslisting, Facebooking, Mudding and looking high and low, this popped up in my FB feed last night. It was up for all of 30 minutes, before I was able to haul down the freeway to check this out. BUT, it’s official, this n00b and long-time lurker finally found his 3x locked 80:

View attachment 2382540

We name cars in our family, and the kiddos have settled on Bob, or Bobby Offroad, to complement Wallace (1970 BMW 2002), Joanne (1991 BMW 318iS), and Eloise (2014 RX350 - wife’s car). This rig will be replacing Fred, the absolutely perfect but 2WD 3rd Gen T4R. Dispersed camping here we come, FU COVID!

219K miles, single owner, but purchased from nephew (...idk...). Though first in line, he had at least 3 others queued up to see it if I passed. Well.

Lockers work and engage (checked). Interior is in fine shape for what I’ve seen in the market. Paint in great condition except the roof, which I’ll have to do some work on (as in, buff and wax and forget). Everything just works. Tons of records plus dealer-serviced until about 2012 (checked the VIN on the Toyota site). Runs a little warmer than what I’m used to - temp gauge crept up past halfway on the way home, which includes a lot of highway driving and a big hill at the end. Y’all will let me know if that’s normal if you could, plenty of coolant in the overflow tank after the drive home. Will work on that in the sort-out. Oil leak which looks like it’s coming from either the front crank seal or the oil pump. Will get to both probably in the next few weeks. Aftermarket radio, backup camera, door locks. Needs a new antenna mast. $10K. Feel lucky.

More photos:

View attachment 2382541

View attachment 2382542

View attachment 2382543

This is the money shot:
View attachment 2382544
Nice Score! Great price in this market!

You did great, congrats!

Don't mess around with potentially running her hot. Get an odb2 bluetooth sender and install the torque app as one cheap/easy way find out what your coolant temps actually are or research on the forum for other ideas. Nothing wrong with green coolant, in fact many including myself prefer it as it's so readily available if you need a top up. Main issue with green coolant is if it's mixed with red which causes sludge build up but you can always do a full flush if you are concerned. I'd be more focused on making sure the fan clutch has a good fill of heavy oil and that it's set to open at the correct temp along with a full inspection of the cooling system components.

Amazon product ASIN B074DWH8JR

I'd be more focused on making sure the fan clutch has a good fill of heavy oil and that it's set to open at the correct temp along with a full inspection of the cooling system components.

Amazon product ASIN B074DWH8JR

I was just under the hood thinking the exact same thing. It ran right at dead level middle of the temp gauge until I got to the hill just before home, then it started to creep up past the middle. Unless this is normal - again total n00000000b with the 1FZ.

Glad to be part of the community!!

I was just under the hood thinking the exact same thing. It ran right at dead level middle of the temp gauge until I got to the hill just before home, then it started to creep up past the middle. Unless this is normal - again total n00000000b with the 1FZ.

Glad to be part of the community!!
That’s a bad sign. If the factory gauge begins to creep upward the coolant temp is somewhere around 220-225. You’ll know you have reached 226 degrees if the AC cuts out automatically.

Got it. The radiator is an aftermarket replacement from 2009. Have the receipt for it from the dealer... figured was ok as long as not hitting the red.

Where to start - pull / replace radiator, replace water pump (idk when done if ever), replace fan or fan clutch, or start with flush and go from there?

EDIT - digging through receipts, found one for a HG replacement in Nov 2017 / 197K miles. Interesting its having heat issues even after that.

Last edited:
Good find!!! :bounce: and a proper welcome :flipoff2:

The roof is failed clear coat which is very common. The hood and other areas may have been repainted.

Time for full baselining with extra attention of the cooling system. The dash gauge is notorious for not indicating raising temps until it gets critical. Could be failing fan clutch, low coolant, bad radiator cap etc. Looks like some old hoses and original style clamps on the heater control valve on the firewall so plan on replacing all rubber hoses big and small including the PHH and bypass hoses.

Good find!!! :bounce: and a proper welcome :flipoff2:

The roof is failed clear coat which is very common. The hood and other areas may have been repainted.

Time for full baselining with extra attention of the cooling system. The dash gauge is notorious for not indicating raising temps until it gets critical. Could be failing fan clutch, low coolant, bad radiator cap etc. Looks like some old hoses and original style clamps on the heater control valve on the firewall so plan on replacing all rubber hoses big and small including the PHH and bypass hoses.

A hearty :flipoff2: to everyone, best part of being here :)

Spent the evening on the punch list. So far - all hoses including PHH (Gates green stripe or silicone?), water pump (Aisin), fan clutch (Aisin), OEM belts and idler pulley, OEM thermostat and gasket, front crank seal, oil pump gasket. On the fence about buying a radiator (OEM), it'll be out to repair the seals, so maybe yes. Probably yes. Oil change, coolant flush / block drain, gear oil front and rear. Trans fluid and replace lame PCV hose, later.

Eventually will need to do the birfs (grease and seals, looks like), but can wait a hot minute while I sort out a hot engine. Oh - and recenter steering wheel. Alignment seems good, will check with toe plates to 2.6mm toe in, but the wheel is all off. No big deal. PO did the heater control valve but NOT the hoses, it seems...

Anything else to baseline?

Check out the sticky post FAQ for lots of ideas:

Post #3 has a good link for newbies.

Congrats. Ive had a green one once also. The factory temp gauge has a big middle zone. Its stays in the middle from around 180 up to 220 range so you can be having cooling issues but never realize it until its to late by just using the factory gauge. Get the ODB reader like suggested

Thanks all!
Congrats. Ive had a green one once also. The factory temp gauge has a big middle zone. Its stays in the middle from around 180 up to 220 range so you can be having cooling issues but never realize it until its to late by just using the factory gauge. Get the ODB reader like suggested

Thank you! This is good to know, suggests the full overhaul of the cooling system is first in line. Will add the ODB reader to the shopping list.

If your not going to do the front axle seals at least make sure the axle has enough fluid. May also want to check for forming rust underneath the roof rack mounts and stop it if any is their.

I probably will do them, second. I’ll check the grease in the birfs today and see what kind of fun surprises are in there. This will be my daily, but I have 3 other cars (including the T4R) that can step in while working on the initial sort-out. Roof rack is a good suggestion, may need to take that off anyway to get at all the crappy paint up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom