Events/Trails Over the Mountain Tour - 8/20-23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
UC's signature event is fast approaching.

Marshall's posts.

First This is a fluid event. I've scoped out a bunch of trails but until I see who and what we have each morning will determine what we do and where we go. So posting some places we are going has been tricky mainly because I don't want you going someplace we are not committed 100% to. So things can change and if they do and I have service please know I'll get the changes posted here. Also understand that I will stick to these places and times. I will not leave you behind but also understand if you are late I cannot hold back the group just for you. Most likely as the event progresses on we will have more and more people joining us and I will eventually start giving people options if they want to skip certain places and just go on to the campsite for the night. 20 trucks on Saturdays trail is a lot at one time and I'd like to stagger us in 5 at a time there will be people hiking on the road and I don't want to cause too many waves.

Food
Plan on bringing your own food but there will be a group meal at some point to be announced. As far as what to cook with you don't need to bring a stove unless you absolutely want to. I will have a giant 3 burner stove for breakfast and dinner every day. It has two griddles and a grill as well as space for a pot. SO don't bring something you don't need. That being said if you require a lot of grill time then bring something. I'm leaving any pots and pans to you.

Places to meet

Thursday 11AM meet at Toyota of Greenville.

Thursday trailhead to camp the gate to the park closes at 9pm so don't think you can meet us after that. The first part of the trail is gravel. You will come down a steep incline and there will be 4 ways to go; two of which should be gated, take a right and follow that all the way down to Horse Pasture river where we will be camping. There is fishing there but check NC fishing regulations. Bring something to swim in as we will be camping on a river.
Thursdays campsite.
Friday if you get to the park early enough say before 10 you should be able to catch us coming back out. Last year we didn't get out until 12 I believe.
Friday camping is at my friends cabin near Balsam Grove. Go though the stone pillar entrance to Camp Chosatonga (a boys sumer camp that is closed) stay to the left and you will pass a few bunk houses and a rock climbing wall and some kids showers. The road dead ends to the cabin. You can meet us there after 5. If this changes I will post up in this post any changes. The cabin has power, water and most importantly a toilet. It's not completely finished but all the doors and windows are in it. If it's raining we will have a great place to hang out. Also note don't let your kids go into the boys camp. It's for liability reasons and I'm friends with the owners family and don't want to ruin that. The cabin is on 3 acres that backs up to Pisgah National Forest and there is a trail from the cabin that goes out for a few miles.

Saturday. Later this week I'll post the location.

Trails and other things to know

I cannot promise you won't get any damage. I will also say that Thursday and Saturday camping locations are on state and federal lands where alcohol is prohibited. I will not tell you what you can't do as we are all adults and I will let you make your own decision but know you are ultimately responsible.

Trail on thursday will have some small branches like blueberry bushes. We have never had damage but then again trails change over the years. It's over 12 miles long. If you get car sick it's not the trail for you as it has a lot of switchbacks. It's not usually hard since half of it is gravel now. It's possible you may need 4WD but I doubt it. Any cruiser can make it down and back on this road. We will be attempting to camp on a river thursday night. We should have plenty of space for tents and such. I will have the stove and the club canopy with me.

Fridays trails will be somewhat of an unknown. But it will involve a lot of pavement and some decent wheeling. Nothing super hard. It is possible some people might split off and explore one area we haven't had a chance to look at. The goal is to make it to the cabin by 5pm.

Saturday Those daring enough to swim bring a swimsuit and towel. The water is super cold but it's an amazing pool within a hundred yards of parking. Bring some sort of sandal you can wade in the water with. Rocks can be slippery and small kids and any pet needs to be held on to as the stairs are steep. But it has always been a ton of fun and a great chance to clean up before the grand finale that afternoon.

The trail going to camp on Saturday is the one that causes the most problems. Do not attempt it if you like your paint or at least wax it up prior to going. It's not super hard but it's not easy as well. It has a lot of rocks and about a dozen obstacles to get over. We will be splitting the group up. If you don't want to take a chance throw your stuff in one of the other trucks, park your truck at the parking lot at the beginning of the trail and ride along and don't worry. I've driven an unlocked and unlifted 80 series up this trail dozens of times. Please also be aware that one of us made the mistake of saying you would get light pinstriping from all the branches in the trail. There is nothing light about it as you will get pin striping. It will fold your mirrors in in some sections as well some areas of the road are not as wide as the vehicles. But the camping spot at the end is worth it. Trust me. Again I will have the grill and I suggest you use it. Do not cook in your tent, don't have food in your tent don't let your small children run around in the brush unattended. There will be bears in camp at night. I can assure you of this. The area is full of blackberries and the bears are usually around to eat them. We have never had an issue with them but there is always a first. Usually the dogs are a big deterrent. We will be leaving a little before lunch but it's possible some people want to stay later.

Come prepared for everything.

It's hot right now and it may be shorts weather Thursday through Friday but all of that can change quickly. Be prepared to sleep and be in 40 degree weather and also there could be rain so bring rain gear. Do not make the mistake of just bringing shorts or no rain jacket. We are in the mountains and anything can happen. Also don't bring a crappy tent Saturday. It's possible the winds won't be an issue but usually they are. A 14 person coleman tent will be pushing it and most likely not be intact at some point. We will have the club canopy out only if it can be used and not end up in Hendersonville by the morning.

Pets

Pets are welcome. I suggest having them on a leash or at least having a leash just in case. Also if your dog, cat gerbil has problems around other dogs or people leave it at home or kennel it.
1595594252993.png

PPal ($25 for members, $35 for non-members) to info@upstatecruisers.com (We are friends, right? So we can do without the PPal fees?) and post here that you are coming. Entry covers a sticker for you and group supplies. One spot per vehicle. Sorry, no refunds unless the event changes.

Early bird registration before August 5 includes a t-shirt. Be sure to include what size shirt you need. Additional shirts before August 5 can be added for $18/ea.
1595594351231.png

A limited run of additional stickers will be available on the event for purchase. $3ea or 2/$5.

Hard to believe we have been doing this trip spanning 15 years.

05 Over the Mountain Tour 05 Pics Link
06 Over The Mountain Tour (Tellico) pics link
07 Sign-Up for Over The Mountain Tour
08 *** UC Event***Over the Mountain Tour 2008 with the Toyota Trail Team - Aug 7-10*** Pics Link
09 Otmt 2009
10 The Club was running GSMTR this year so we focused all our energy on that event Pics Link
11 The Club was running GSMTR this year so we focused all our energy on that event
12 Over the Mountain Tour, Aug 17-19 @ Snowbird
13 *******August Wheeling Trip (aka, Over The Mountain Tour)*******
14 Over The Mountain Tour (OTMT) August 15-16-17, 2014
15 ********OTMT August 13-16 2015 Tellico*********
16 ******OTMT August 25-28 2016******
17 Over The Mountain Tour - OTMT August 23 - 27
18https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/over-the-mountain-tour-aka-otmt-2018-aug-22-26.1077421/
19 Events/Trails - UC Over the Mountain Tour (OTMT) 2019 - 8/22-25
20 Events/Trails - Over the Mountain Tour - 8/20-23

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
In! XL shirt

paid. please add me to the list.

UC's signature event is fast approaching.

Marshall's posts.

First This is a fluid event. I've scoped out a bunch of trails but until I see who and what we have each morning will determine what we do and where we go. So posting some places we are going has been tricky mainly because I don't want you going someplace we are not committed 100% to. So things can change and if they do and I have service please know I'll get the changes posted here. Also understand that I will stick to these places and times. I will not leave you behind but also understand if you are late I cannot hold back the group just for you. Most likely as the event progresses on we will have more and more people joining us and I will eventually start giving people options if they want to skip certain places and just go on to the campsite for the night. 20 trucks on Saturdays trail is a lot at one time and I'd like to stagger us in 5 at a time there will be people hiking on the road and I don't want to cause too many waves.

Food
Plan on bringing your own food but there will be a group meal at some point to be announced. As far as what to cook with you don't need to bring a stove unless you absolutely want to. I will have a giant 3 burner stove for breakfast and dinner every day. It has two griddles and a grill as well as space for a pot. SO don't bring something you don't need. That being said if you require a lot of grill time then bring something. I'm leaving any pots and pans to you.

Places to meet

TBD

Trails and other things to know

I cannot promise you won't get any damage. I will also say that Thursday and Saturday camping locations are on state and federal lands where alcohol is prohibited. I will not tell you what you can't do as we are all adults and I will let you make your own decision but know you are ultimately responsible.

Trail on thursday will have some small branches like blueberry bushes. We have never had damage but then again trails change over the years. It's over 12 miles long. If you get car sick it's not the trail for you as it has a lot of switchbacks. It's not usually hard since half of it is gravel now. It's possible you may need 4WD but I doubt it. Any cruiser can make it down and back on this road. We will be attempting to camp on a river thursday night. We should have plenty of space for tents and such. I will have the stove and the club canopy with me.

Fridays trails will be somewhat of an unknown. But it will involve a lot of pavement and some decent wheeling. Nothing super hard. It is possible some people might split off and explore one area we haven't had a chance to look at. The goal is to make it to the cabin by 5pm.

Saturday Those daring enough to swim bring a swimsuit and towel. The water is super cold but it's an amazing pool within a hundred yards of parking. Bring some sort of sandal you can wade in the water with. Rocks can be slippery and small kids and any pet needs to be held on to as the stairs are steep. But it has always been a ton of fun and a great chance to clean up before the grand finale that afternoon.

The trail going to camp on Saturday is the one that causes the most problems. Do not attempt it if you like your paint or at least wax it up prior to going. It's not super hard but it's not easy as well. It has a lot of rocks and about a dozen obstacles to get over. We will be splitting the group up. If you don't want to take a chance throw your stuff in one of the other trucks, park your truck at the parking lot at the beginning of the trail and ride along and don't worry. I've driven an unlocked and unlifted 80 series up this trail dozens of times. Please also be aware that one of us made the mistake of saying you would get light pinstriping from all the branches in the trail. There is nothing light about it as you will get pin striping. It will fold your mirrors in in some sections as well some areas of the road are not as wide as the vehicles. But the camping spot at the end is worth it. Trust me. Again I will have the grill and I suggest you use it. Do not cook in your tent, don't have food in your tent don't let your small children run around in the brush unattended. There will be bears in camp at night. I can assure you of this. The area is full of blackberries and the bears are usually around to eat them. We have never had an issue with them but there is always a first. Usually the dogs are a big deterrent. We will be leaving a little before lunch but it's possible some people want to stay later.

Come prepared for everything.

It's hot right now and it may be shorts weather Thursday through Friday but all of that can change quickly. Be prepared to sleep and be in 40 degree weather and also there could be rain so bring rain gear. Do not make the mistake of just bringing shorts or no rain jacket. We are in the mountains and anything can happen. Also don't bring a crappy tent Saturday. It's possible the winds won't be an issue but usually they are. A 14 person coleman tent will be pushing it and most likely not be intact at some point. We will have the club canopy out only if it can be used and not end up in Hendersonville by the morning.

Pets

Pets are welcome. I suggest having them on a leash or at least having a leash just in case. Also if your dog, cat gerbil has problems around other dogs or people leave it at home or kennel it.
View attachment 2381830
PPal ($25 for members, $35 for non-members) to info@upstatecruisers.com (We are friends, right? So we can do without the PPal fees?) and post here that you are coming. Entry covers a sticker for you and group supplies. One spot per vehicle. Sorry, no refunds unless the event changes.

Early bird registration before August 5 includes a t-shirt. Be sure to include what size shirt you need. Additional shirts before August 5 can be added for $18/ea.
View attachment 2381831
A limited run of additional stickers will be available on the event for purchase. $3ea or 2/$5.
I’m

I'm in. Payment sent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom