Front of 4.7 is sooty?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this just cuz it has 240k miles and probably never been cleaned? Or should I be concerned? I just purchased and it has full service records from Lexus dealership. So it was well taken care of, but granted the records don't show it was brought in every 5k miles on the dot.. so idk

20200721_140335.jpg

:hmm:

Could need new intake manifold or valvecover gaskets, or pcv valve/hoses. that’s oil/carbon been baked on by heat. See if it’s only on the front. it’s no concern if the engine is running well.

Oily blow-by leaking out of PCV hose probably.

EDIT: zoom in on bottom drivers side intake plenum in photo. Looks like leaking intake manifold gasket.

5FA0BBEE-92A7-41B3-9EBC-AB3FA3547E27.jpeg

Could need new intake manifold or valvecover gaskets, or pcv valve/hoses. that’s oil/carbon been baked on by heat. See if it’s only on the front. it’s no concern if the engine is running well.
It is running like a top still.. I'll check the back too though

Oily blow-by leaking out of PCV hose probably.

EDIT: zoom in on bottom drivers side intake plenum in photo. Looks like leaking intake manifold gasket.

View attachment 2380113
Do you agree with Njck22 that it should be alright for now if engine is running ok?

Looks like that's a super cheap part though.. maybe something I diy once we're through camping season in a couple months. Any idea how tough/easy of a job it is? I just got myself a FSM literally a couple days ago so I'll start looking through that too.

Thanks!

Do you agree with Njck22 that it should be alright for now if engine is running ok?
Yes, I agree with @Njck22: Drive it as is. I wouldn’t even bother trying to fix it until your starter needs replaced.

Mine is like that. It needs valve covers and a good top end clean up. It was leaking oil like the Exxon Valdese until I tightened up the VC gasket bolts. That stopped the oil leaks for now. Amazing how a simple thing like tightening the VC cover bolts never happened. I'll pull it apart and do a full plenum clean up when I have time in the winter. It runs and starts great.

could have been residue from an old leak that was taken care of already, and at 240k getting a little seepage from a gasket isnt really all that big of a concern. if your really that concerned clean the motor off and check for leaks in about 1k miles

Well, looks like I might have my winter maintenance list made up here 😂 thanks all!
could have been residue from an old leak that was taken care of already, and at 240k getting a little seepage from a gasket isnt really all that big of a concern. if your really that concerned clean the motor off and check for leaks in about 1k miles
That was going to be my interim plan just to see how quickly it does or doesnt come back 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom