2013 GX460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - I picked up a CPO 2013 GX460 a couple years ago and finally started upgrading it for the trails. It pulls double duty as daily driver and weekend warrior, so I’m going for the “sleeper” look and trying to maintain the stock appearance as much as possible, which rules out certain permanent mods like bumpers, mounted winches, refrigerators, roof racks, etc. The one exception is the running boards - they gotta go. Order of upgrades is:

1. Tires
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. May switch to E-Rated KO2s in the future depending on how these perform on rocks.

Considerations:

• winter rating - most important. We’re in the northeast so snow and ice are a given. Cant risk needing a rescue from my neighbor’s Subaru

• weight - wanted to keep unsprung mass as close to stock as possible until I can upgrade the suspension. Stock tires (Scorpion all seasons) were ~30lbs per tire whereas KO2s are ~53lbs. These are ~38lbs.

• road noise - it’s the DD/family hauler and spends a lot of time on the highway. I need to be able to hear my screaming kid.

2. Recovery
  • ARB front recovery point - this was the only option I found which allowed for angled pulls and didn’t require trimming the stock bumper (hopefully..). Will post pics when installed.
  • Curt tow hitch recovery shackle
  • Wyeth-Scott Power Puller w/ Amsteel Blue - these things are durable beasts and are rated to deadlift the weight of the vehicle. They’d also be a reliable backup to a winch.
  • Hi-Lift tow straps (x2)
  • ARB recovery strap 30’
  • Go Treads (x2) - these are compact enough to keep in the vehicle all the time. Would love some MaxTrax but they aren’t small
  • Additional shackles (x2)
  • Warn winch damper

3. Skids - BudBuilt 3/16” steel (Full: front, mid, trans, fuel, rear diff).

Considerations:
  • Service - special shout out to Rob at Budbuilt for spending many hours on the phone with me to help with the selection and install

• Durability - these things will get dragged over lots of rocks, and I felt the extra protection of steel outweighed the slight weight reduction and corrosion resistance of aluminum.

• GX-specific design - the access panels are designed specifically for the GX, so no need to drop the plate for every oil change.

Before mounting, I removed the OEM plates and got a Woolwax undercoating:
Before:

70CF6240-5E86-49D1-AFF5-645CD52A57D6.jpeg

After:

383A6E49-6522-47CD-BE7B-01D1E53922AE.jpeg

Next up:

4. Sliders
5. Suspension

Happy to join this forum, and looking forward to getting some feedback and learning about everyone’s experiences on the trails.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard! Look forward to what you come up with!

Agree!!! Rob at Budbuilt is super helpful. Seemingly available at all times. A lot of delays on the initial design were related to load bearing tests on the access doors.

I have one of those Wyeth-Scott Power Puller w/ Amsteel Blue.... that is like a generational hand me down piece there. I think the same since the '30s.

Last edited:
Welcome and look forward to the build.

For sliders, the most sleek one's I know of, that won't pass as stock but don't visually stand out, are the Victory 4x4 boat side style sliders. Can see them on Lifestyle Overlands video here:

Sounds like recovery is higher on your list too. IF you do wanna run a winch without much visual change, check out this one: LFD Off Road - Adjustable Hidden Winch Mount - GX460

For sliders, the most sleek one's I know of, that won't pass as stock but don't visually stand out, are the Victory 4x4 boat side style sliders. Can see them on Lifestyle Overlands video here:

Sounds like recovery is higher on your list too. IF you do wanna run a winch without much visual change, check out this one: LFD Off Road - Adjustable Hidden Winch Mount - GX460

These are some awesome recommendations - thank you. The sliders
Agree!!! Rob at Budbuilt is super helpful. Seemingly available at all times. A lot of delays on the initial design were related to load bearing tests on the access doors.

I have one of those Wyeth-Scott Power Puller w/ Amsteel Blue.... that is like a generational hand me down piece there. I think the same since the '30s.
thats great to hear! From all the reviews I read, that seems like the most durable puller out there. Did you go with the steel cable or that synthetic rope? Ended up going with the synthetic for safety, but like that you have some extra abrasion resistance with the steel

Areeeeeee you sure you "need" to?

There is no comparison between a snowflake rated AT tire and a dedicated snow tire.
Ha! Totally agree - would rather have some winter rating than none though. Are there AT winter tires that would make sense for something that sees

last post cut off - those sliders look great, and it’s nice that they function as a step as well. The one thing that threw me off is that (I think..) they say on their website that theres some drilling / welding needed if you want to use them as full on sliders. I could be wrong, but that’d be a bit of a dealbreaker.

As far as that winch mount - haven’t seen that one before and it looks awesome! May need to give them a call...

last post cut off - those sliders look great, and it’s nice that they function as a step as well. The one thing that threw me off is that (I think..) they say on their website that theres some drilling / welding needed if you want to use them as full on sliders. I could be wrong, but that’d be a bit of a dealbreaker.

If I recall correctly, from when I researched them a little deeper months ago, was they can easily and safely be used as sliders without drilling. If you were into actual rock crawling type use (and not just offroading/overlanding where they may get bashed on some) then yes, you'd want to add a few holes into the frame for extra beefy support, but it isn't a requirement for light to medium duty sliders. Welding would be the same scenario, welded sliders are really the best way to go if you're going to really rely on sliders, but for the vast majority of us, bolt on is more than sufficient.

Looks like step 18 mentions drilling two holes: https://www.victory4x4.com/mm5/installdocs/VGXSL-BL.pdf

thats great to hear! From all the reviews I read, that seems like the most durable puller out there. Did you go with the steel cable or that synthetic rope? Ended up going with the synthetic for safety, but like that you have some extra abrasion resistance with the steel

I went with synthetic on the Wyeth-Scott.

When considering sliders, you may want them to have the step for easier access to your roof rack and cross bars, washing, waxing, whatever. Maybe painting them your body color may let them blend in??
You can also add lockers front and rear which will give you a HUGE advantage in the white stuff! Ultimate stealth! The average person would never guess you'd have fully locking front and rear diff's! And you'll have the advantage of having on-board air compressor for beach toys, camping air mattress, filling a low tire, bike tires, etc. Also you could go with the Crawl Control and Multi Terrain factory switches! That too adds a lot of capability to your rig. Here's the "How to": How To: Add Crawl Control and Multi Terrain Select to GX 460
For shackles, something light and easy for the rare occasion you need them purchased these: Amazon product ASIN B07DH1LDY6Regarding traction mats, I have two sets of MaxTrax (orange, and tan). Love them! I did a lot of searching for reviews and they are by FAR the best traction option out there. If you need to go over any ditches or anything like that, you won't be able to use GoTreads. They really don't take up that much room and if you run out of room in the back, they're easy to mount on the roof. Just get some reusable cable (zip) ties: Amazon product ASIN B00YARJ14AThese are great to have in your vehicle for quick tie-downs that can be reused! I aways keep a hand full in my rig!
Not sure if you have a receiver hitch, but if you do, one of these is are great if you need to pull that Subaru you! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072V6V352/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072V51TRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I keep this kit in my wife's 4x4 Tacoma. Funny thing I actually had to use it when I was going on base (Camp Pendleton) and some Marine, when trying to do a U/Y turn, dropped his front wheel in a ditch and couldn't get out. Just pulled out the recovery kit from behind the back seat, hooked it up to the receiver shackle and his car, quick as can be, yanked him out. Very gratefull Marine he didn't have to pay a tow truck driver!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom