'97 FZJ80: Is this an ARB front bumper? Was it modified for fog lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time posting. I am trying to figure out what bumper this '97 FZJ80 came with. I am thinking it is an ARB bull bar modified to have fog lights. Thoughts? If so, should I be worried about the strength being compromised at all if the previous owner cut holes in the bumper? If not an ARB, what is it? Help me solve this puzzle!!!
Truck 2.0.jpg

Arb deluxe winch bar. Without doubt. Dunno about fog lights taking away from the bar’s strength, my last one took down a few Roos and a Holden Colorado and it was still straight.

Arb deluxe winch bar. Without doubt. Dunno about fog lights taking away from the bar’s strength, my last one took down a few Roos and a Holden Colorado and it was still straight.
Thanks a ton man. Seems like it’s way over-built. I won’t worry.

no worries pal. looks like a tidy cruiser.

just with the arb bar, those eyes that you have the shackles sitting in, those are absolutely not recovery points. ARB make a HiLift jack adaptor that bolts into those eyelets allowing you to lift from the bull bar. I wouldn't want your mate to wear a shackle in the back of the head snatching you up out of the muck.

no worries pal. looks like a tidy cruiser.

just with the arb bar, those eyes that you have the shackles sitting in, those are absolutely not recovery points. ARB make a HiLift jack adaptor that bolts into those eyelets allowing you to lift from the bull bar. I wouldn't want your mate to wear a shackle in the back of the head snatching you up out of the muck.
Wow. Thanks man. I learn something new all the time. I would have used those points for sure. I’ll look into where the proper recovery points are for sure.

To piggyback off of @junior80 comments, those are not a recovery point for snatching; however, you can winch off of them (with a pulley, for instance). If you need something recovery rated, I think there are a few options out there (trail taylor maybe?). Others upgrade to the current gen Tundra tow loops.

Jack

The ARB bumper is good for what it is. Much better than the stock bumper, especially for animal strikes. And good looking too. However over-built is not one of the terms I would use to describe it. It is pretty lightweight and made from pretty thin material. There are many other bumpers out there that are considerably stronger, but also much heavier.

I would never attach anything to an ARB bumper jack points for recovery purposes. No way. And why would you when you have the hugely stronger factory tow hooks right there which bolt directly to the frame?

Agree, that's why I kept my factory loops.

A long time ago, someone made reinforcement tabs for the ARB bumper. Maybe still around?
I believe the main issue is the thin tabs easily distorted with any side load. The added tabs beef up the ARB points quite a bit.

Also, I remember george tlc had shackle points bolted to the face of the ARB, just above those ARB hilift points.
In line w the frame rails, it is probably the beefiest for the front end.

I would never attach anything to an ARB bumper jack points for recovery purposes. No way. And why would you when you have the hugely stronger factory tow hooks right there which bolt directly to the frame?

Wow. Thanks man. I learn something new all the time. I would have used those points for sure. I’ll look into where the proper recovery points are for sure.
Look underneath the bumper. The factory loops are still there. Use those for recovery.

That looks like a fairly new ARB bumper with all the bells and whistles. The fig lights are an option. Have you checked their website?

sweet right, nice arb.

what kind of roof rack bars do you have? looking for something similar

sweet right, nice arb.

what kind of roof rack bars do you have? looking for something similar
I think it is the Yakima roof rack. I have the ski rack that goes with it. I will prolly fit a proper roof rack soon - likely a prinsu so long as delta vehicle systems doesn’t come out with one soon.

First time posting. I am trying to figure out what bumper this '97 FZJ80 came with. I am thinking it is an ARB bull bar modified to have fog lights. Thoughts? If so, should I be worried about the strength being compromised at all if the previous owner cut holes in the bumper? If not an ARB, what is it? Help me solve this puzzle!!!
View attachment 2379890
Nice cruiser! Those are PIAA fog lights. That is definitely a custom mod to that bumper.

Nice cruiser! Those are PIAA fog lights. That is definitely a custom mod to that bumper.
[/QUO
Thanks man. It’s my second cruiser and I am loving it. I was lucky to find a triple locked 80 with only 130k. I plan to put on a lot more miles.

I finally got around to pulling things apart. You are exactly right. They are PIAA lights mounted up side down in custom cutouts. I am planning on mounting some Baja designs amber fog lights in the bumper soon.
C3B125D7-BAA4-4177-952B-17B269C29EF9.jpeg
E6F68341-5EC5-443E-9739-12F2BB18C931.jpeg
i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom