Upgrading to a 200 series - First time owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, aside from ownership bias, which I'm sure I have, there is a propensity to treat AHC like it's not a good system. It's a great system. It's different, and it has it's quirks, but it isn't a Pinto gas tank either.

For almost all owners, a LX570 or TLC would be the best SUV they ever have. For a very tiny few of those owners, the choice of one or the other will matter in some incremental way. For most, it won't, aside from preference. Which is totally fine. I get the whole club and legacy thing, but when I bought mine, I had a $20k budget, I didn't care what plastic label was stuck on it, as long as the condition was good.

When I put on the 35s", I no longer fit in the low height (6'8") parking garage. But - I have AHC, so I can drop 2" and fit. This use case is more likely for me than driving desert whoops at 80 mph, or whatever it is that requires a shock/coil suspension to succeed. I'll just have to go slower there.

They're both great trucks. This is really splitting hairs over differences and features. My advice is to do exactly what I did. Drive them both. Preferably back to back. You'll know which one you want. Its that easy.

I wanted the LC & bought it. I prefer the looks by a wide margin. The one item I miss versus the Lexus is an adjustable lumbar support for the passenger seat. It’s ridiculous that a truck costing $85k new doesn’t come with one. If you like the look of the Lexus then get it as it’s a better value in the used market.

Just got done talking to someone at the dealership with the one I'm looking at, they stated that the arm rest on the passenger side comes off when pull it forward and up, is that something that could be replaced at a later date? They also stated they replaced a switch because it would not go into "low range" but did not explain if that was related to the 4x4 system or the AHC system, I asked a follow up to clarify but haven't heard back yet. With this spotty knowledge is there anything I should look for in the service records to make sure I'm not getting a problem truck? If anyone cares I'll add a link of the one I'm looking at, but I also have a back up one just a bit further west that I could also try to pick up if this one isn't the one for me, I don't want to make a rushed decision.

This is the one I'm going back and forth with the dealer on currently:

This is one in IL that I could also reach if necessary, a couple more hours in the car both ways would be OK with me if needed:

I feel like I've gone over both of them with a fine tooth comb but if anything sticks out to anyone I'm all ears!

Just got done talking to someone at the dealership with the one I'm looking at, they stated that the arm rest on the passenger side comes off when pull it forward and up, is that something that could be replaced at a later date? They also stated they replaced a switch because it would not go into "low range" but did not explain if that was related to the 4x4 system or the AHC system, I asked a follow up to clarify but haven't heard back yet. With this spotty knowledge is there anything I should look for in the service records to make sure I'm not getting a problem truck? If anyone cares I'll add a link of the one I'm looking at, but I also have a back up one just a bit further west that I could also try to pick up if this one isn't the one for me, I don't want to make a rushed decision.

This is one in IL that I could also reach if necessary, a couple more hours in the car both ways would be OK with me if needed:

I feel like I've gone over both of them with a fine tooth comb but if anything sticks out to anyone I'm all ears!

Which one is less crusty underneath? Just based on a quick glance at the links you've posted, if both cars are in similar condition I'd get the one with less miles for $1k more.

Also run the vin thru the Lexus website to see the dealer history on both. Lexus History

Arm rest mechanisms have been known to break. Perhaps when children climb and sit on them. There's at least one thread showing how someone fixed it.

Transfer case and low range switch is an Achilles heal across the the 200-series, and many modern Toyota's. The mechanisms should be exercised regularly and many owners may never touch them. IMO, it's an elecro-mechanical issue.

If you follow Owners Manual, LX requires premium gas.

AHC, while fairly reliable compared to other air suspension, needs maintenance every 60k. And a leak or damage due to rust anywhere along the system can send you on a wild chase costing $$$$$. Even some Lexus dealers don’t know much about it... thus if you go this route, then you better hope that the tech knows his stuff. A member here has his car out for over a month and $10k worth of Warranty repair.

damn I’m glad my LX came with a hydraulic suspension instead of that crummy air suspension you’re talking about 😜

These threads are so entertaining. Everyone rationalizing and defending their purchase to the grave.

My family and I have a combined 800,000 miles in Cruisers since 1999 and have never been left stranded. I own a 14 LX and a 20 Cruiser. My folks just bought a 20 LX.

Bottom line - find one (Lexus or Toyota) that was well maintained and enjoy it.

To @hockeycoach18 . This guy like to take extremes to make his point. What he doesn't tell you:

The specific case he's speaking of is caused by a single mechanics incompetence. A simple flush done wrong leading to air getting in the system. Incompetent mechanic fails to use common sense and replaces non-failed expensive things to rack up parts and labor on Lexus's dime. This is akin to flushing the brake system and getting air in, not following the FSM on how bleed it, and replacing good working parts.

What he also doesn't tell you is that AHC is incredibly reliable, with majority easily going hundreds of thousands of miles and beyond, with continuous high level performance. Just like the AHC system in the 100-series, but better. One can flush the system onboard (60k maintenance interval), just like changing oil or coolant, and the system performs like new again. The very rare typical issue (if you can even call it that) involve weeping shocks that are relatively cheap ($175 per front, $80 per rear). Or rust on lines. I can count the number of reported issues with AHC on these boards within two hands.

If he were forthcoming, he'd tell you about the trials and cost reality on other side of the fence, trying to upgrade suspensions. I bet he won't, so I'd encourage you to search the thousands of posts yourself.

I'll leave you with - AHC is the creme de la creme system out there. Capability, performance, on-road and off, without compromise to either. With durability light years beyond anything aftermarket, unless it were to LC stock system itself. Yet that system is not up to enthusiast pursuits.

@TeCKis300 where do you source your front shocks? My fronts are weeping.

Thanks!

The one at Harvey has been there since January. You should find out why. It's been in MI for 12 winters, so take a good look underneath to make sure it's been cared for. Personally, I'm not a big fan of used car dealers with no new car franchise, so I would not recommend the one in IL. From what I see on the website and carfax, the Harvey one seems to be worth a trip to G.R.

I can check the one on Mitchell blvd in Schaumburg as it is literally by my house and let you know what I think.
Pm me and we can talk over the phone.

Which one is less crusty underneath? Just based on a quick glance at the links you've posted, if both cars are in similar condition I'd get the one with less miles for $1k more.

Also run the vin thru the Lexus website to see the dealer history on both. Lexus History

Thanks for the tip on the Lexus History I didn't know about that, good information in there! I have to get underneath them and see what they're looking like to know for sure, Grand Rapids is an easy ride there and back IL is a bit father but can be done in a day no problem I just need to find an open day my wife doesn't mind wrangling the kids while I try to secure a new truck

The one at Harvey has been there since January. You should find out why. It's been in MI for 12 winters, so take a good look underneath to make sure it's been cared for. Personally, I'm not a big fan of used car dealers with no new car franchise, so I would not recommend the one in IL. From what I see on the website and carfax, the Harvey one seems to be worth a trip to G.R.

Oh that is good information to have in my pocket, I didn't see that listed anywhere do you mind letting me know how you found that out or do you live near there and have seen it sitting? It seems like some will sit 3-6 months and then others are selling the first week they hit the lot, there was a one owner no accident 2011 in IL I really wanted to check out but before I even had a chance to reach out to them about it it had already sold!

I can check the one on Mitchell blvd in Schaumburg as it is literally by my house and let you know what I think.
Pm me and we can talk over the phone.

Wow that's awesome you'd be willing to do that, let me see what happens with the one in GR before I send you on an adventure but if the one in GR doesn't work out then I'd be happy to compensate you for your time, I'll keep you in the loop thanks again for that offer!

Oh that is good information to have in my pocket, I didn't see that listed anywhere do you mind letting me know how you found that out or do you live near there and have seen it sitting? It seems like some will sit 3-6 months and then others are selling the first week they hit the lot, there was a one owner no accident 2011 in IL I really wanted to check out but before I even had a chance to reach out to them about it it had already sold!
I went directly to the Harvey Lexus site and looked up the Carfax. The sale/service history is on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom