CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eric Sarjeant

Ed Martin Toyota (Indianapolis)
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.edmartintoyota.com
After seeing @BloggerL build thread for his Heritage Blogmobile I had to jump on the NaviPlus unit.
Confirming wireless Apple CarPlay works on 2020 Land Cruiser.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

After seeing this, I just tried it on my 2020 HE and got nothing. Possible operator error? My phone told me to press/hold the voice command button on the wheel. I did and my phone kept "searching" with the spinning wheel.

After seeing this, I just tried it on my 2020 HE and got nothing. Possible operator error? My phone told me to press/hold the voice command button on the wheel. I did and my phone kept "searching" with the spinning wheel.
Did you install a NaviPlus unit in your LC? Eric's post isn't referring to the stock head unit. . .it's the NaviPlus referenced in this thread: Builds - Heritage Blogmobile Build Thread

Great that it works. What functionality does this offer me over the stock setup? Genuinely curious seeing as I don’t really see myself having regular conversations with Siri......??

I spoke in length with them on this. I was told you can even display netflix on the rear screens. The downside is it can have GPS issues while the unit is plugged in (not a big deal if you don't use the clunky stock nav) and there is an additional external microphone. If you can figure out how to hide it with the OEM mic, it might be ok, but I don't want a mic sitting in the open. Overall the cost is reasonable, but I have a wireless charging magnet mount in my vent and it does what I need it to do.

Great that it works. What functionality does this offer me over the stock setup? Genuinely curious seeing as I don’t really see myself having regular conversations with Siri......??
CarPlay enhances your phone's functionality and overall user experience. Integrates 3rd party Navigation apps to your center stack (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze) which are better and generally more up-to-date and easier to use. Voice commands/functions are far easier to use with phone/texts and music. Also 3rd party apps like Gaia Gps.

Last edited:
CarPlay enhances your phone's functionality and overall user experience. Integrates 3rd party Navigation apps to your center stack (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze) which are better and generally more up-to-date and easier to use. Voice commands/functions are far easier to use with phone/texts and music. Also 3rd party apps like Gaia Gps.
Where did you end up mounting the microphone and when you get the Naviplus with the wireless CarPlay option, does it still come with the USB port? If so, where did you end up installing the USB port? After seeing @bloc post about the Naviplus, I've been thinking about getting it too, but the microphone and USB port for connecting the phone are a few sticking points for me.

This thread is also the first I've heard about there being GPS issues when the Naviplus system is connected. Not sure why that would be the case, but I'd be interested in more details on that.

Where did you end up mounting the microphone and when you get the Naviplus with the wireless CarPlay option, does it still come with the USB port? If so, where did you end up installing the USB port? After seeing @bloc post about the Naviplus, I've been thinking about getting it too, but the microphone and USB port for connecting the phone are a few sticking points for me.

This thread is also the first I've heard about there being GPS issues when the Naviplus system is connected. Not sure why that would be the case, but I'd be interested in more details on that.

No GPS issues so far. I'll be testing it next week with Google Maps/Waze + GAIA On my way to Colorado. Look at pic #3 for mic placement (rear view mirror). I used the factory USB port by the 1/8" headphone jack/shifter.

No GPS issues so far. I'll be testing it next week with Google Maps/Waze + GAIA On my way to Colorado. Look at pic #3 for mic placement (rear view mirror). I used the factory USB port by the 1/8" headphone jack/shifter.
Thanks - I had missed the mic in that pic until I knew to look for it. I wish you guys were closer as I'd love to have you do a few things for me as some of the wiring work you guys do so well is beyond my skill set.

I keep seeing this thread title and hoping for a Toyota firmware update for '16+ for CarPlay. Rats.....

Thanks for jumping on this @Eric Sarjeant ! This is big news.

That’s news to Apple.
You used google wrong brah.

Guys - It’s disappointing so many of you are confused about Macintosh phones. To say you don’t use Siri so why would you want CarPlay shows a massive knowledge gap. I’ve had iPhones since they were introduced and never used the Siri function though Siri has to be turned on to use many features (you didn’t know that?).

297869CF-1B60-4AAA-8984-8F6B3A7A3AAB.png

Thanks for jumping on this @Eric Sarjeant ! This is big news.

You used google wrong brah.

Guys - It’s disappointing so many of you are confused about Macintosh phones. To say you don’t use Siri so why would you want CarPlay shows a massive knowledge gap. I’ve had iPhones since they were introduced and never used the Siri function though Siri has to be turned on to use many features (you didn’t know that?).

View attachment 2379631

Been using macs and google quite effectively for a couple decades, brah.

You MUST enable siri to use CarPlay. I get a ton of functionality out of my iPhone with siri (and many of the privacy implications) disabled, including at least daily google maps. But that won’t be an option for me on carplay head units.

So yes, carplay has a lot to do with siri, as it simply won’t function without it enabled.

Am I a little salty that apple won’t enable this great feature without an always-on microphone? Probably.

Been using macs and google quite effectively for a couple decades, brah.

You MUST enable siri to use CarPlay. I get a ton of functionality out of my iPhone with siri (and many of the privacy implications) disabled, including at least daily google maps. But that won’t be an option for me on carplay head units.

So yes, carplay has a lot to do with siri, as it simply won’t function without it enabled.

Am I a little salty that apple won’t enable this great feature without an always-on microphone? Probably.
The dude I initially responded to said he didn’t talk to Siri so he didn’t see the need for CarPlay.

That has nothing to do with enabling Siri on your phone.

Let’s get this thread back on topic.

The dude I initially responded to said he didn’t talk to Siri so he didn’t see the need for CarPlay.

That has nothing to do with enabling Siri on your phone.

Let’s get this thread back on topic.

Then it seems a better response would have been something along the lines of "carplay is for a lot more than talking to siri", which it absolutely is.

But you said it has nothing to do with siri... clearly incorrect.

Either way, the point is driven home by now. Great mod, but there is a catch for some users. I predict Eric selling a ton of these installs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom