Central & South American Resto's 5,000 miles and flip it? What gives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, mine was a good 'ol NA truck made in, um, Japan?
Bought it from a dealer who specialize in trucks, like newer trucks, but somehow thought this was some kinda classic that would demand a good price.
And the dealer paid some "mechanic" thousands of dollars (according to the sale manager) to restore it. I think the bulk of that work was spray painting the chassis, frame, axles, brake lines, shocks, dirt on the frame, skid plate, oil filter, fuel lines.. (I think you see were this is going).
Fortunately for me, that "mechanic" couldn't set the timing right, or get the carb tuned. So, it ran, sort of, but wasn't creating enough vacuum for the power brakes... (scared the s*** out of the sales guy apparently, who just wanted it gone off the lot).
It did have front disks and power steering conversion. A roll cage (held down with carriage bolts), very little actual rust and was kinda straight.
(Hard top was held on with pickup canopy clamps, BTW.)
I'm no purist, so the idea that the wheel well and back edge of the tub are about 8 gauge steel were bonuses in my book!!!
I just wish they'd have bought a new steel tank instead of plastic and plumbed the venting right, and not used bed liner on the interior... (among other things).
These were trucks. We love them due to the utilitarian design, but this also means people who needed to do work used them. And did so world wide.

IF YOU ARE PAYING FOR SOMETHING RESTORED, find out who restored it, what experience they have and what other work they've done. Otherwise, ignore the idea of it ever being restored and just evaluate on current condition.

I compared mine to a dozen other half complete projects that on craigslist at the time and decided on it because I could drive it home (in theory, I still brought a trailer, but I could drive it up the trailer which beats winching it).
Very well put. I can relate, my ‘78 was not running when I purchased it. Purrs now👍

Thank you all for the valuable input. I will do my due diligence and "weeding out" before I post a prospect.
Cheers:beer:

I bought one out of SA 10 years ago. It’s always ran and drove. As I’ve gone thru each system over the years, I’ve definitely found some sketchy work. So, the comments above are certainly valid. But the frame was pretty much rust free and the stuff that needed resto was the mechanicals that you should go thru anyway. If I buy another, I might find one that had less hands in it, but overall I’m happy with it, and it gets better after every project!

Imported or not, get a 3rd party inspection by a shop that knows Cruisers. You will save yourself tons of grief and money.

I brought this 1984 HJ47 (left hand drive) in from Latin America a few years back.

HJ47 84.jpg
IMG_4595.JPG

It was not restored, we didn't advertise or sell it as such. It had some rust but it is a very desirable model being a LHD 1984 HJ47. I fixed it up a bunch and it still needed more but it was road worthy. I sold it for $20k and took a loss at that.

I put it on a lift for the buyer, spent near an hour with him under it showing him all the problem spots in the body. Can't stress enough getting a 3rd party inspection if you can't view it yourself or you are not educated in Cruisers.

Cheers

Imported or not, get a 3rd party inspection by a shop that knows Cruisers. You will save yourself tons of grief and money.

I brought this 1984 HJ47 (left hand drive) in from Latin America a few years back.

View attachment 2378717View attachment 2378718

It was not restored, we didn't advertise or sell it as such. It had some rust but it is a very desirable model being a LHD 1984 HJ47. I fixed it up a bunch and it still needed more but it was road worthy. I sold it for $20k and took a loss at that.

I put it on a lift for the buyer, spent near an hour with him under it showing him all the problem spots in the body. Can't stress enough getting a 3rd party inspection if you can't view it yourself or you are not educated in Cruisers.

Cheers
Thanks. Great advice. Always planned to at least hire a mechanic to put it on a lift and check the engine, etc. If I can't get someone versed in "cruiserese". I imagine h8mudders could help locate someone.
Cheers
Cheers

Thanks. Great advice. Always planned to at least hire a mechanic to put it on a lift and check the engine, etc. If I can't get someone versed in "cruiserese". I imagine h8mudders could help locate someone.
Cheers
Cheers
There’s a sticky thread over in the 60 series forum with a list of mechanics that at least know 60s, so I’d venture to guess most know 40s as well.

Great idea to have a mechanic check it out. Have them do compression test, hook up a vacuum gauge to it.

I believe "kerplunk" post #19 above is implying he would have preferred a steel interior tank rather than a "plastic" tank. Don't let that confuse you with my "Nylon" 22 gallon rear fuel cell that is laboratory tested stronger than a steel tank, no welded seams, and will never rust. Thank you.

I believe "kerplunk" post #19 above is implying he would have preferred a steel interior tank rather than a "plastic" tank. Don't let that confuse you with my "Nylon" 22 gallon rear fuel cell that is laboratory tested stronger than a steel tank, no welded seams, and will never rust. Thank you.
Please send me a link to this tank you have.
Thanks

It's on my ebay #264758943079, but Mud guys do not buy from me on ebay, I just send a PayPal invoice- - -easy deal.

It's on my ebay #264758943079, but Mud guys do not buy from me on ebay, I just send a PayPal invoice- - -easy deal.

Man , that tank looks good. The first I have seen of it. Gotta save some cash and add to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom