Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Panels all primed up as well as the bezel!
PanelesPrimeados.jpeg
PanelesPrimeadosA.jpeg

Front fenders, small repairs and primed:

SalpicaderaDelanteraPicada.jpeg
SalpicaderaDelanteraRecorteAntes.jpeg
SalpicaderasPrimeadasA.jpeg

Yes definitely a 65’ ... Toyota could be off on their years... early Toyota data .... ahhhh sucks lol

Their definition of end could very well be the termination date of agreement ... but... legal this and that bought them a few years .... however your still could very well be one of the last to be sold that year

I agree. How do you know so much about Toyota's presence in México? It's rare knowledge and a treasure to come across. Thanks for sharing.

Yes definitely a 65’ ... Toyota could be off on their years... early Toyota data .... ahhhh sucks lol

Their definition of end could very well be the termination date of agreement ... but... legal this and that bought them a few years .... however your still could very well be one of the last to be sold that year

BTW, invoice I have is for frame number: 12547

The seats were covered in this very elegant red velvet cover.
AsientoDelanteroAntes.JPG

After removal of the fancy velvet...surprise!

AsientoOriginal.jpg

The seat covers are perfect for an upholsterer to do a reproduction. Many springs were bust and the fiber is rotten in some parts. Furthermore, the iron Fram around the springs is broken on the front passenger seat.

So I am at a dilema, do I restore the springs and the iron frame or should I go for foam? has anybody done this upgrade? Is it worth it?
What are the pros and cons?

Can anybody chip in?

You‘ve done some serious body repair on this rig. Great job!

Keep us posted on your seat repair, I’m in a similar position with my ‘63 and curious about options.

You‘ve done some serious body repair on this rig. Great job!

Keep us posted on your seat repair, I’m in a similar position with my ‘63 and curious about options.

Thanks! I can't take the credit though, it has all been done by Vicente, a bodywork guy outside of Mexico City, he is a magician and a true craftsman. Here he is evening out the tub after repairs.

Captura de pantalla 2020-07-19 a la(s) 10.22.37 p.m..png

Last edited:
Which panels? Do you mean the door panels? Absolutely, otherwise it defeats the point.

Yes, any panels that the inner cannot be seen unless you cut. I am glad to hear that you do as some people would not. I saw a restoration done here by owner to flip and they never did a thorough job since their intent was a flip. I could never live with myself if I did not treat those items.

Yes, any panels that the inner cannot be seen unless you cut. I am glad to hear that you do as some people would not. I saw a restoration done here by owner to flip and they never did a thorough job since their intent was a flip. I could never live with myself if I did not treat those items.

I mean, it was done within possibility and reason, Wurth Rust Converter was used, thoroughly.

Also, just drilled a draining hole at the bottom of the doors to prevent water from accumulating there again. On both front and rear doors.

I agree. How do you know so much about Toyota's presence in México? It's rare knowledge and a treasure to come across. Thanks for sharing.

Because I am big into the history stuff... and have been obsessing over Toyota for about 30 yrs lol

Usually get info here and there and everywhere.... and usually find the best stuff when looking for something competently different :meh:

Here’s a cool pic of a CKD crate heading to REO Mexico (from Toyota-global site)

ACB76305-4A8C-4D7F-B831-142F1CAB8DDF.jpeg

Because I am big into the history stuff... and have been obsessing over Toyota for about 30 yrs lol

Nice, I do remember seeing that pic floating around the web.

Could you share your source regarding the amount of units exported to Mexico in the 59-60 period? Also, were they brought to U.S. first and then to Mexico?

So, I have a question regarding a few paint details:

Were the running boards on '65 LC's white or where they black?

Where the rear bumperrettes white or metallic?

Where the direction lights and mirror metallic or body color?

Cheers!

Jerónimo

So, I have a question regarding a few paint details:

Were the running boards on '65 LC's white or where they black?

Where the rear bumperrettes white or metallic?

Where the direction lights and mirror metallic or body color?

Cheers!

Jerónimo
I think the turn signals, mirror arms and running boards were all body colored. Running boards (short?) would have a white pyramid vinyl insert, available from a guy in NY or a Mudder with some extra after the 1 yard minimum.
I think bumperettes were "pewter" by 1965.
Enjoying the story and the save. Keep up the good work.

The rear bifold door wasn't so bad, but the little rust spots were completely cut out and patched up.
Does anybody have the measurements of the little wheels that guide the door up and down in the rear panels? They were lost in mine and can't figure out how to source them as I have to reference as to measurements, materials, etc...

View attachment 2378168
View attachment 2378169View attachment 2378170View attachment 2378171

Fully repaired!

View attachment 2378172
Did you get your bifold door little wheel question answered? Have tape measure, will travel (to the garage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom