Help me complete my audio system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I've searched and read and only created more questions. I have installed new speakers in all 4 doors and they are running through an aftermarket head unit that is connected to the stock amp. No sub. I would like to replace the head unit with a new one that's bluetooth capable, I want to bypass the stock amp, and I want to keep music coming through the kick and ceiling speaks.

Have:
Front doors: Infinity Reference REF-6522EX 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield
Rear doors: Pioneer TS-G400 G-Series 4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

I know I need this for bypassing the stock amp: metra harness

I want to add a small (~8") sub in the near future. Can you help me understand what the optimal headunit and amp package would be for my 4 door speakers + kick and ceiling speakers + sub? Or is it better to get a head unit that can handle the power needs of the speakers and get a dedicated amp for the sub later? I am just so lost with preamp channels and impedance and RMS etc. Thank you!

Last edited:
IMO, you don't really need an amp at all. If you're 100% intent on keeping the tiny little Smurf speakers, they run in parallel to the door speakers. There's really no reason to keep them. Don't try to run an amplified receiver through your stock amplifiers.

Replace what's in there with new double DIN from a name brand. It will do everything you want. I have a Pioneer and a Kenwood. Like them both.

I second the powered sub approach. There are so many available out there. You would just need to run the subwoofer preamp to it and wire it for power. You wouldn't be able to use the stock subwoofer amp for that, or the existing wiring.

Another thing to consider...there’s been a good bit of talk on here about the alpine kta-450 power pack amplifier. It is a small amplifier that can enhance the sound of your door speakers. So far I’m undecided on whether or not I’ll need this amp..I still need to install my front door speakers before I’ll make that decision.

Another option to consider is a powered subwoofer. I removed the rear seat heater and installed a Pioneer TS-WX130DA powered subwoofer in it's place, and I'm very happy with the results.

Cheers

IMO, you don't really need an amp at all. If you're 100% intent on keeping the tiny little Smurf speakers, they run in parallel to the door speakers. There's really no reason to keep them. Don't try to run an amplified receiver through your stock amplifiers.

Replace what's in there with new double DIN from a name brand. It will do everything you want. I have a Pioneer and a Kenwood. Like them both.

I second the powered sub approach. There are so many available out there. You would just need to run the subwoofer preamp to it and wire it for power. You wouldn't be able to use the stock subwoofer amp for that, or the existing wiring.

Thanks for the advice guys! Looked into powered subs and that looks like a great solution. Think i'll go with Crutchfield's house brand. Zapatius, I'm willing to delete the stock kick and ceiling speakers. Didn't realize they were an issue. Are you saying I should disconnect them no matter which direction I go? Or do I just leave them connected if I'm running the door speakers straight from the headunit? What are the spec requirements in the headunit to complete this? Trying to keep the budget on the low end and all I car about is bluetooth connectivity. Thanks again

I would just disconnect them, as I did in mine. You'll never notice missing a tiny speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom