Arizona Traverse Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all- in an effort procrastinate responsibilities as much as possible...I took the opportunity to modify the Northern Arizona Traverse a little. I was looking for something to explore the environmentally diverse state we live in- with the route taking off from the east valley. As I was successfully avoiding my to-do's I realized I kept linking routes along familiar parts of the state. As my exploring and route finding in the last 5 yrs or so has taken a backseat to all the usual things (school, work, babies born before they're supposed to, blah blah blah), I wondered how I might be able to tap into the community to put together an overlanding route for the community that incorporates everyone's favorite gems within the state.

As such, below is a link to the current route. Anyone accessing it through that link has full abilities to edit the map, please feel free to add, update, delete your own ideas (might be best to use the new layer feature when making additions). There's no version or source control, soooo there is risk of being a total cluster, but it could be fun though!
The map as it currently stands: blue is the continuous path google was able to play nicely with and provides a ballpark drive time. Red lines are where I'd rather the route go, but due to recent closures or whatever google didn't like them.

Have at it!

Last edited:
The Apache Trail won't be open for 5-10 years or possibly more, if ever. $$$$ to fix it, and assloads of red tape.

AFAIK there are no plans to reopen Fossil Creek to vehicles. There is a lot of pressure on the Forest Service to open it though, so never say never.

What are your vehicle/experience limitations? While SR288 (Desert to Tall Pines Road, AKA Young Highway) is very scenic, there are a couple of equally scenic but further 'off the beaten path' alternatives to get to the Young area, namely FR202 and FR203 (Cherry Creek Road). 202 is the easier of the two, and can be run all the way north to FR512, or you could take FR54 over to Young. Parts of 203 are in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness Area, so are technically illegal to drive (although this is not currently enforced at all), and may be physically gated in the future. Nature may beat the bureaucrats to it however, as there's a section of shelf road threatening to collapse which would make it impassable. Meanwhile it presents some very moderate technical challenges and is generally rough.

Hey all- in an effort procrastinate responsibilities as much as possible...I took the opportunity to modify the Northern Arizona Traverse a little. I was looking for something to explore the environmentally diverse state we live in- with the route taking off from the east valley. As I was successfully avoiding my to-do's I realized I kept linking routes along familiar parts of the state. As my exploring and route finding in the last 5 yrs or so has taken a backseat to all the usual things (school, work, babies born before they're supposed to, blah blah blah), I wondered how I might be able to tap into the community to put together an overlanding route for the community that incorporates everyone's favorite gems within the state.

As such, below is a link to the current route. Anyone accessing it through that link has full abilities to edit the map, please feel free to add, update, delete your own ideas (might be best to use the new layer feature when making additions). There's no version or source control, soooo there is risk of being a total cluster, but it could be fun though!
The map as it currently stands: blue is the continuous path google was able to play nicely with and provides a ballpark drive time. Red lines are where I'd rather the route go, but due to recent closures or whatever google didn't like them.

Have at it!

I just finished the Arizona portion of Great Western Trail from the MX/USA border to the AZ/Utah border. Very remote and scenic with challenges along the way. From north of Mingus mountain to the Utah border I did not see another vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom