Just Bought - 2000 LX470 I'm Back After a 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a while, and months of searching...back in 2016 I bought and owned a 2001 4Runner Sport for 2.5 years, as an "in between" truck, and loved it. Many upgrades later.

I'm an executive for a car corporation daily, and have new demos 24/7, but missed having my own. The 4Runner was great, but lacking in legroom, etc. for me.

In comes...100 series. Browsed them for a year. Finally found one in white pearl, chromed wheels, <200k, and very well kept. Just put a deposit down on:

2000 LX470 in Golden Pearl with Ivory
193,xxx miles
California history, then Oregon, then north NJ
+Nakamichi - Since replaced with a double din Pioneer, by the dealer
+Roof rack
+Tow hitch
+Cargo mat
+Wood & leather steering wheel

Love it. Waiting to pick up, until I can grab a ride, and cashier's check.

Timing belt, etc. was done at a Toyota dealer at 155k, and is marked under hood, among other items. All bone stock, except for chrome plated stock 16" wheels that are starting to bubble, one silver stock wheel, and Michelins, new on back but worn on front.

Needs:
-HVAC blows ice cold but is stuck on low fan only despite Auto, or changing the fan speed. Seems to be a simple issue, from reading here, I hope.
-AHC works perfectly, up, down, in between, and was serviced after 100k
-Runs silently, smoothly, etc.
-Pulls a bit to the right, but the front tires are also worn. Looking for (2) quick replacements, and might have found them.
-Front cornering light on the passenger's side is cracked and the lense loose

Can't wait to start driving this...and sort out the few things, starting with the "um, low only?" blower motor. The rest...is seemingly strong.

LX470-2.JPG

4Runner-1.JPG

ALso to
Looks good! Lots of clean, white LX popping up recently. Welcome!

Thanks. White made the deal...as did the condition.

Next up deciding. It has (3) peeling chrome wheels (I like them, however) and (1) silver replacement. Can get a fresh set of silver 16" stock, but not sure if it's worth it. Gotta love local Craiglist, finds.

Cornering light, and HVAC blower, are top priority after, and basic fluid changes.

Reindex that rear wiper arm before you start chewing paint. Don't ask me how I know!

Do tell...it’s also missing the cap on the wiper bolt.
That makes fixing it even faster, if slightly costlier. Nice rig. I'd say rock the chrome wheels then claim you helped bring them back in fashion when it happens.

That makes fixing it even faster, if slightly costlier. Nice rig. I'd say rock the chrome wheels then claim you helped bring them back in fashion when it happens.

Well, they compliment the white pearl nicely without being spray can silver, though there’s only 3 of them. On the list to “hmm”.

I’ll search for the wiper item. Good call.

One day and still don’t have the truck, but thanks local Craigslist guy...guess the (3) peeling chromed wheels will be first to go!

D221217B-6E11-4701-B53C-D1D99238DDE4.jpeg

Tomorrow...

1) 2 bad front tires get replaced with (2) used better condition ones. Backs look almost new, and matching.
2) All (4) wheels being replaced with a fresh silver 16" stock set. I love the chrome on the pearl, but there's only (3) and they're peeling...so...may as well refresh and match.
3) New center caps in mail tomorrow.
4) Positive battery terminal is loose. Had a mini scare coming home after a few errands when "uh oh dead" at the tire shop. Battery terminal is loose, so ordered a new one from Lexus, and working on that tomorrow.
5) Oil & filter change...either during tires tomorrow, or next week at Lexus.

Other stuff...
1) The HVAC fan actually works. When I drove it Saturday, it was stuck on low. Now it's fine, and blows perfectly. Just a slight drip on the passenger's side I noted, and have read about here. Weekend dig in.
2) Driver's door power lock is dead. Works manually and by key, but doesn't lock/unlock power. Need to see the easiest on this, as a smaller project...more to come.
3) Drive's great, just the front worn tires make it a bit off, I hope.
4) Pioneer double din was installed to replace a dead Nakamichi, before me. Fine, and radio works, but Bluetooth won't connect and USB charges only. Seems like a cheapie, so as it's already been swapped and harness is there, and audio works fine, likely replacing with another Pioneer with CarPlay, that's newer.
5) Ordering from Lexus...picking up tomorrow. Air filters engine & cabin, gas cap, wipers, back wiper bolt cap (until I can get the updated Japan design I've seen here), battery terminal, oil filters, etc.

Plan is to do tires and get the battery terminal fixed tomorrow, and maybe oil change too, if I trust them with those first (3) things. Made an appointment at Lexus next week to have a few more things checked.

Thinking Alignment, coolant check, and poke & peak around. All fluids, AHC fluid, timing belt, water pump, etc. were done at 155k, and it has 193k now, by a Toyota dealer. Seems good, but time for a refresh of fluids.

Nothing like good ol 2000 LX glass headlights

Finally picked up and home. Now the chores begin...and the list of items. Soooo buttery to drive.
Even better than a buttery nipple? Any type, let your imagination run wild!

Those chrome wheels would look great if there were 4 in good shape. It may be worth finding 4 chrome ones you could use.

Even better than a buttery nipple? Any type, let your imagination run wild!

Haha! Well, if a buttery nipple had 193k miles and was in need of a wheel bearing...ha.

Those chrome wheels would look great if there were 4 in good shape. It may be worth finding 4 chrome ones you could use.

They would. Was going to find another set, but lucked into locally finding a WAY better/cleaner shape stock silver 16's, and a set of OEM center caps (the ones on it now seem aftermarket with no logo, to match the chrome).

All better now, as are the brand new set of tires I ended up needing and deciding on...

Intention was to replace the (2) really bad front Michelin’s with a worn but much nicer stock set of Michelin’s matched to the back.

Realized when doing so, the combination of all 6 I had were too old to even risk bothering with. Local guys were great, and Thursday ordered Kumho Crugen HT51’s just like I had on my 4Runner before.

Tall, great, crisp, smooth, and exactly as I remembered from why I bought these years ago.

Mounted these on the “newer” set of wheels, and put on Friday. Matching set (vs also mismatched) center caps arrived this morning.

Oil change done & battery terminal end replaced same time.

The bad...

I realized it had a front passengers side pull of the wheel at times, but no noise. Drove it daily this week and each day it got noisier & a bit more shaky at speed on the old tires.

Mechanics checked, and the passengers front wheel bearing is toast, hence the noise and why that wheel wobbles.

Way better with new tires, but this is next on list.

Any tips? Seems common. Local mechanic said they could do it, but best if I get the parts, and have a Lexus appointment tomorrow.

Productive few days✅

193k, and had a big service at 155k with CV boots, repacked bearings, timing belt, alignment, etc.

21303BA0-F1FD-465B-AC1E-D1EBE2EB1712.jpeg

7FFA3FFC-48E4-4ABE-8C72-B73F17425125.jpeg

Those center caps look SO much better ... not being sarcastic either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom