Gauge/Parking Lights out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40JOHN

SILVER Star
Threads
All of the gauge lights and running/parking lights are out on my 1997 LX450. I've done a bit of research, and found that they are on a shared circuit, but I am electrically stupid (even after watching these... Learn Electrical Troubleshooting !). Headlights, brake lights, signals, and all dash lights work fine.

I have 12V on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on. I've swapped fuses anyway, just to see if anything changed. It didn't. I've checked all of the marker bulbs and they seem fine. Didn't tear into the dash to check the gauge lights.

I think I have checked most if the wiring to the corners. The grounds show resistance when tested to a bolt or the frame. I would expect to see 12V on the green wire at each socket, but have various results and don't really know what I need to see.

Any tips on where to start? I contacted a mechanic buddy, but he isn't available until next weekend. Currently unable to drive at night...

Check the TAIL fuse. The parking lights and gauge cluster is on that circuit. The TAIL Relay also is on this circuit. Its in the left kick panel. You can hear it activate when you turn on parking lights. Its bottom row center on the relay block.

Check your trailer harness if you have one. The adapter box that is probably in the right rear tire quarter can short out and blow that fuse.

Check the TAIL fuse. The parking lights and gauge cluster is on that circuit. The TAIL Relay also is on this circuit. Its in the left kick panel. You can hear it activate when you turn on parking lights. Its bottom row center on the relay block.

I've been checking the GAUGE fuse...

Due for a new battery today, so I'll check once that is sorted.

Check your trailer harness if you have one. The adapter box that is probably in the right rear tire quarter can short out and blow that fuse.

Actually ripped it all out, along with some old auxiliary light wiring from the PO, while diagnosing this. PO had cut parts of the harness and taped them up...same with the lights.

I'm an idiot... I've been checking the GAUGE fuse. TAIL fuse (which I assumed was brake lights), was blown.

All good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom