Full audio upgrade, speaker sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The sub-woofer is very secure, I won't have to worry the enclosure will fly up and hit my wife or I in the back of the head should we get rear-ended. I can also easily remove it when I want to haul things or put in the third row seat. It should also still fit behind the third row seat. With the tinted windows and matching paint, a thief will need to look very closely to even notice the sub is there. I may still build a custom enclosure in the OEM location but with what I have, am in no hurry.

View attachment 2231918

View attachment 2231919

Subwoofer box looks great! Where did you get your sub box mounts? They look like they hook onto the third row seat mounting points.

Subwoofer box looks great! Where did you get your sub box mounts? They look like they hook onto the third row seat mounting points.

I built the subwoofer enclosure but Musicar Northwest built the mounts. They do attach to the third seat mounts. They are very secure and easy to remove. I can toggle between a tune that includes the sub and one when I remove it. I am more than happy with how everything sounds.

I built the subwoofer enclosure but Musicar Northwest built the mounts. They do attach to the third seat mounts. They are very secure and easy to remove. I can toggle between a tune that includes the sub and one when I remove it. I am more than happy with how everything sounds.
So the question is, do you notice any movement/rattle from the sub with it mounted like that. Looks quite secure but just curious if there is any play in the mounts that would have them buzzing with certain frequencies or whatever.

What a small world it is. I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned owning an 335i E92. I owned a 335i E90 that had Musicar's stage 1 sub and amp package. Great company and products. Definitely not the cheapest out there, but you get what you pay for.

So the question is, do you notice any movement/rattle from the sub with it mounted like that. Looks quite secure but just curious if there is any play in the mounts that would have them buzzing with certain frequencies or whatever.

No movement, it is rock solid.

Finally pulled the trigger and got amp replacement and accessories for it coming. Should be here end of next week for everything so will have a new project in the near future.
I know that everyone was recommending nice, higher dollar amps but I needed to keep this cheap so found some great recommendations for a Brazilian amp company called TARAMPS and their 400x4. At $80 from Amazon, plus another $10 for the 3yr warranty I figured what the hell. Will give this a shot and see how it does.

Question for everyone... where are you mounting the fuse for the amp? I bought this Stinger 8 gauge powering kit which got lots of good reviews as being true copper and not copper plated tin wire. Anyways, I need to mount this somewhere near the battery along with another small 4 blade BlueSea fuse block...

Finally pulled the trigger and got amp replacement and accessories for it coming. Should be here end of next week for everything so will have a new project in the near future.
I know that everyone was recommending nice, higher dollar amps but I needed to keep this cheap so found some great recommendations for a Brazilian amp company called TARAMPS and their 400x4. At $80 from Amazon, plus another $10 for the 3yr warranty I figured what the hell. Will give this a shot and see how it does.

Question for everyone... where are you mounting the fuse for the amp? I bought this Stinger 8 gauge powering kit which got lots of good reviews as being true copper and not copper plated tin wire. Anyways, I need to mount this somewhere near the battery along with another small 4 blade BlueSea fuse block...

I got this one, was recommended to me
Will be driving fronts and rear sub (bridged). I was told it will be "loud as F..K" Sounds encouraging.

I didn't mount fuse for amp :( Just hangs behind the battery.. What is 4 blade fuse block for?

I didn't mount fuse for amp :( Just hangs behind the battery..
At least secure it with some double sided tape to SOMETHING. Please. Safety!

I got this one, was recommended to me
Will be driving fronts and rear sub (bridged). I was told it will be "loud as F..K" Sounds encouraging.

I didn't mount fuse for amp :( Just hangs behind the battery.. What is 4 blade fuse block for?
Correct... will be driving fronts and rears. Probably setup LPF for rears to handle mainly lower frequencies (still need to replace stock back there with Morel Maximo Coax 6 to match fronts). From the reviews I have found on the amps, plus the guys over on reddit, it does sound promising. Little odd that they have you bridge for 4-channel like they do but whatever. Like I said, for a total of $90 all said, it will work for now and if I find it to be nasty quality sound or whatever I can replace in the future with something like and RF Punch, Kenwood eXcelon or whatever that is more expensive.

The little 4 blade Blue Seas will be used to run a dedicated 12v hot for the stereo, another for the auxiliary power for 7-pin tow harness and then also to run ditch lights when I eventually install those.

What is the max input sensitivity of that amp?

@KillerBox Way over the top on the center dash speakers - me likey!

It's usually spec'd as a range. 250mV would be the low end. It's good to know the high end if you need to chase down clipping. No worries, minor detail

Not to hijack your thread but If you need space for big amps I did this many many years ago. Had these temporary amps installed a couple years ago:

20180808_204735.jpg

Dear lord.... you guys put these massive systems into you vehicle and I don't want to know how much you drive to justify that much listening time!!!
Seriously, my normal daily trip is 2.5 miles to the office from my house 4 times a day (back and forth for lunch and work). Outside of that there is the occasional trip to the grocery store, dog park and weekend trips to the cabin. I was thinking that $200 for an amp was overkill but some of these things are...!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom