1968 FJ55 Local East Coast Swine Transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Test drive and photo shoot for breakfast!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

68498B95-46B2-4EB5-A880-532195319FE9.jpeg

OK, so some decisions will need to be made re: Chuck the Pig. Plans definitely include a 32-33 inch tire, power front disc upgrade.

Transmission. 3 speed
Pro: I'm a little nostalgic about the 3 speed.
It's part of the truck, period correct.
Unusual to see these days.
Theft deterrent.
It's already in there with a new clutch.
No re-engineering.
No cutting of the floor tunnel

Con: It's ancient, outdated tech
Non-synchro first. Charming, then annoying
Gear ratios are terrible.
Need to keep 4.11 to have a reasonable first, which kills top speed
With 32-33 inch tire, even keeping 4.11 1st is a terrible ratio.

Transmission: 4 speed (H42) and split case (No H55? - see below)
Pro: Much more modern and drivable box
Quieter
Still toyota
No one will ever know it's lacking a 3 speed, except you swine purists
Rear main seal is leaking, so net labor for swap is less
Gear ratios about ideal
Can run 3.7 for better highway manners

Con: Deviating from originality
Succumbing to my tendency to overbuild
Need to cut tunnel
Need to re-engineer cross member, driveshafts, etc.
Bench seat less useful, potentially need to replace with buckets?
Expense. Worth it?

To complicate matters, or maybe simplify depending on how you look at it, I have this sitting here in my garage
20200716_153647-XL.jpg

That's a "short" H42 with a split case, rebuilt by @orangefj45 last winter and sent out for my now unlikely 67 FJ40 patina project. 3:1 low range and the OEM drum brake. 60 shifter, 60 crossmember and a twin stick set-up. I even have the 4 speed bellhousing, clutch fork and flywheel, though I'm not sure it's economical to send them out.

H55? I built the one above as it was as short as possible to squeeze it into the early 40. Plenty of room in the Pig, but as this is already a big sunk cost I can't see going with the 5 speed when this is available. @wngrog, do over 55 or 42 with 3.7? I think I've seen you say the latter.

I don't HAVE to use this H42 now, as it could wait for another project. The inevitable FJ45 is what comes to mind.

OK, lots of verbal diarrhea there. But, you read this far

Bottom Line:
1. Keep the 3-speed for originality, quirky oddball factor matching the pig's general weirdness, accept it's not an ideal driver but it was the more reasonable and probably appropriate level build. Know that I will never want to drive far on the highway (but I have a 100 for that)
2. Ship the H42 back to Georg, pay for the re-engineering, lose the originality but gain in drivability and capability. Make the Pig what it should have been and was in later years.
3. I'm going this far, I should actually do an H55/split and increase my sunk costs a bunch. It's worth it?

Thanks all. Up next, to OME or not to OME.

3 speeds suck.

I personally prefer the H42/3.70 gear combo

I’d run what you spent all the money on.
H42 with the 3.7 gear combo. Save your money for an FJ45 for sure.
There isn't any sort of savings going on here, or with any land cruiser. The savings call is still the 3 speed with a few safety upgrades. I'm not saying that's the right call...

Well, there's savings going the 4 speed relative to the h55. Isn't that the game we play all the time? "Honey, you know I decided not to spend $3K on the cruiser and instead I'm going to spend $750 and take you out for dinner. Yes, honey, it's true, I could not have spent anything on the cruiser, but I'm really concerned that you have a nice comfortable ride to dinner and for your own comfort I'm going to spend just a little money and we'll have a nice dinner and drinks."

Well, there's savings going the 4 speed relative to the h55. Isn't that the game we play all the time? "Honey, you know I decided not to spend $3K on the cruiser and instead I'm going to spend $750 and take you out for dinner. Yes, honey, it's true, I could not have spent anything on the cruiser, but I'm really concerned that you have a nice comfortable ride to dinner and for your own comfort I'm going to spend just a little money and we'll have a nice dinner and drinks."

This ^^^. So much this. :rofl::cheers:

So, I'm a little confused on the rules of the game. I thought that once you spent $5k, you went to jail. After spending the requisite time in jail, you got a get out of jail free card and $5K in the bank. After spend that $5K, you went back to jail .....

I've been in jail a couple of times, so am I good?

NavyDoc,

You need to really think about what you're going to be doing with it. If you're planing on traveling with it like me, then "spending money" is going to be your middle name. If you're just going to Home Depot and get coffee, then leave it as is. That three speed on the tree is not going to be good for much other than coffee and that's cool, too. I like the idea of the 4 speed with the 4.11s and 33" tires, pretty good compromise all around. Saving it for another project might never happen, if you know what I mean.

NavyDoc,

You need to really think about what you're going to be doing with it. If you're planing on traveling with it like me, then "spending money" is going to be your middle name. If you're just going to Home Depot and get coffee, then leave it as is. That three speed on the tree is not going to be good for much other than coffee and that's cool, too. I like the idea of the 4 speed with the 4.11s and 33" tires, pretty good compromise all around. Saving it for another project might never happen, if you know what I mean.
This is where I have to fight the tendency to overbuild. I have a built 100, so realistically that is what I would use for any serious wheeling or long distance trips. The Pig is really an interesting oddball that I've wanted for a long time, so more local use, relic runs, mild wheeling, camping, etc. Probably not a ton of highway use except to get to other parts of VT or NH. An hour or two, not a day or two like out west. The 3 speed could get these jobs done, but not really well. I lose nothing by holding off and deciding later. But, while it's at Georg's getting other work, the time is right.

Saving it for another project would actually encourage me to get said project. So using Cruiser math, I'd be SAVING money by doing the 4 speed upgrade!

After drinks tell her it will never exceed $5,000.00 Dinero 😉😎🤣
So, I'm a little confused on the rules of the game. I thought that once you spent $5k, you went to jail. After spending the requisite time in jail, you got a get out of jail free card and $5K in the bank. After spend that $5K, you went back to jail .....

I've been in jail a couple of times, so am I good?
I've been in jail a few times myself. Eventually, she gets over it and I still have whatever aggravated her. Gotta think long term...

Best lesson I learned from marriage number 1 was Separate Accounts ;)

NavyDoc,

You need to really think about what you're going to be doing with it. If you're planing on traveling with it like me, then "spending money" is going to be your middle name. If you're just going to Home Depot and get coffee, then leave it as is.

This is where I have to fight the tendency to overbuild. I have a built 100, so realistically that is what I would use for any serious wheeling or long distance trips. The Pig is really an interesting oddball that I've wanted for a long time, so more local use, relic runs, mild wheeling, camping, etc. Probably not a ton of highway use except to get to other parts of VT or NH. An hour or two, not a day or two like out west. The 3 speed could get these jobs done, but not really well. I lose nothing by holding off and deciding later. But, while it's at Georg's getting other work, the time is right.

Saving it for another project would actually encourage me to get said project. So using Cruiser math, I'd be SAVING money by doing the 4 speed upgrade!

Sounds like you should invest some money in cup holders 👍

Sounds like you should invest some money in cup holders 👍
Too much of Noob to get this reference. I've said something stupid in the sty. :notworthy:

Too much of Noob to get this reference. I've said something stupid in the sty. :notworthy:
my 2 cents- Ive driven this truck, a 30 mile trip on the highway would be painful for me, every time I drove it, I was trying to shift into 4th, never felt comfortable over 50mph. I had a H55 in my 60 with 2F, that was fun, unless you are on the road climbing to 10,000 ft. I found my self just taking short trips around town, but not much further- but lots of thumbs up when I did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom