Events/Trails July 2020 Club Run to Pine Grove, Rockland, and Lobdell. (1 Viewer)

Which weekend works for you?

• July 10 & 11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • July 24 & 25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: Weekend OR Day Run
When: July 17-19 (Sleeping in Pine Grove Ghost Town (38.678807, -119.123379), July 18-19 (sleeping in Desert Creek Campground (38.621312, -119.340109), July 19th (day run from Desert Creek Campground)
Where: Lobdell Lake, CA
Meet Up: Maverik Gas Station in Minden (38.958044, -119.779005) at 4PM on Friday afternoon or Pine Grove whenever you can make it on Friday evening the 17th. Pinegrove on Saturday morning 10AM to explore the ghost towns and mines. Desert Creek Campground (38.621312, -119.340109) for day trippers on Sunday morning. We will break camp by 10AM.

See map below for suggested routes to Desert Creek.

Travel Times
Friday
: Pine Grove is about 1.5 hours from the Maverik in Minden. I plan to spend most of the day on Saturday exploring Pine Grove Hills/Summit and Rockland Ghost Town/Mining Camp.

Saturday: Desert Creek Campground is about an hour from Maverik. Both via the 395 South, 208 East, and 829 South (to 338 South). The turnoff for Desert Creek is at 38.717167, -119.320749 (Desert Creek Road).

NOTE: There is a gas station called Buckboard General Store up in Smith Valley, about 30 mins from Desert Creek campground. That's the closest/best place to top off the tanks before we it the final leg of the trail to Lobdell on Sunday. I shouldn't need gas in the Bronco, so I can hold down the fort Saturday once we setup camp at Desert Creek.

Sunday: The trek from Desert Creek through Lobdell to 395 northwest of Bridgeport is about 30 miles. I'm guessing four hours of drive time. I am hoping to make it to Mountain View Barbeque in Walker for dinner. It is about 45 mins back to Maverik from there.

What to Bring: Camping gear, fire wood, warm clothes, bug spray, camp chairs, food and drink, fishing poles. We will cross into CA, so bring firearms at your own risk!

Details
This is a leisurely stock run, Mark lost a lower valance off his pickup once, and there may be some mud holes to navigate. Desert pinstripes are always a possibility out there. Bring tow straps/recovery gear in case we need it for mud recovery. I believe there is fishing near the campsite, and definitely fishing at Lobdell. Swimming is not recommended.

1592772693903.png

• Green Route to Pine Grove would be Friday afternoon. I was doing 50 on that dirt road in my F150 so we can make quick work of that.
  • Saturday would be the red route to Pine Grove Summit, then the purple route into Rockland.
  • The Blue route is good for folks who want to camp in Desert Creek Sat night and skip the ghost towns.
  • The Orange route would be the "day trip" route around Lobdell on Sunday. Via 338 to Risue rd. Risue is a faster route to the Desert Creek cmap for the day trippers.

Attachments

• Desert Creek Lobdell Lake.kmz
    2.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
I look to be free any of those weekends and would love to go see PineGrove. However, depending on given weekend and other events it may be a day run for me.
I just ordered new outer axle assemblies today so it will take a bit to get them and then I have to tear the front end apart. While I hope that that is before the end of the month, every dealership/online seller of the OE axle assemblies has given me about a 2 week lead time for delivery.

Hopefully in that time I can get a couple other things done like wiring up the 4-pin flat to 7-pin round trailer plug and the back-up camera for the new head unit I just installed. Maybe even figure out where to put the compressor under the hood for a more permanent mounting (and getting it outta the cab).

So if it is just the three of us, then I'd say we should do Friday night in Pine Grove and explore the range before heading the Desert Creek on Saturday. Camp at Desert Creek Saturday night, then head to Lobdell Sunday mid morning and plan on hitting Walker for some awesome BBG for dinner. They close at 7PM, so we should try to get there by 5ish.

What do you guys thing @gregnash and @Mc Orange Crush? Will July 17-19 do the trick for you guys? My friend Ryan Eklund (Carson City Ryan) may join us, and I am going to try to get few others to show up too. Can you make it @Krusty Krab?

At this point it looks like that weekend should be in the clear. Don't know if I can do the whole Fri-Sun so maybe just Sat night.

At this point it looks like that weekend should be in the clear. Don't know if I can do the whole Fri-Sun so maybe just Sat night.

Friday night would end up being the Pine Grove camping though!

Just got notification that the last of my axle stuff is to be delivered today. Sooooo.... hopefully I can get to all that prior and get this damn cheapo chinesium crap replaced with good ole' Toyota axles and actually install everything per spec.

Nice! Our trip to Black Rock showed me that I need to pay attention to some creature comforts in the Bronco. So I ordered a thermal barrier pad, new carpet, Husky liners, and visor shelf for the interior. I also ordered a new mechanical fan, clutch, fan shroud, and water pump to return it to stock and get rid of the jerry rigged electric fan. I'll be repairing the A/C (it works now... kinda) before this trip and MIGHT get different seats too.

Nice! Our trip to Black Rock showed me that I need to pay attention to some creature comforts in the Bronco. So I ordered a thermal barrier pad, new carpet, Husky liners, and visor shelf for the interior. I also ordered a new mechanical fan, clutch, fan shroud, and water pump to return it to stock and get rid of the jerry rigged electric fan. I'll be repairing the A/C (it works now... kinda) before this trip and MIGHT get different seats too.
Yeah I have had this stupid vibration at highway speed starting around 55mph that the PO didn't inform me of and we just so happened to really on be on the surface roads. But whatever, great member sent me the OEM inners for basically cost of shipping and then ordered new outer axle assemblies (which I just got today). So yea i am replacing a whole lot in the front end to correct some of the s*** he had done by shady shops. Probably be a good couple days of solid wrenching.

But once done, these should last me a good 100k or so (maybe need to reboot in 30-50k). Gonna need to invest in a diff drop kit from Jason (Trail Tailor) soon to correct the axle angles. But that will come soon enough.

Ok so it sounds like we will shift things a little. 17-18 will be in Pine Grove and we will explore the summit and Rockland Ghost Town on Saturday before heading for Desert Creek Campground to stay for Saturday night. Sunday will be the day trip up to Lobdell. I will update the main entry above to reflect this shortly.

Last edited:
NOTE: There is a gas station called Buckboard General Store up in Smith Valley, about 30 mins from Desert Creek campground. That's the closest/best place to top off the tanks before we it the final leg of the trail to Lobdell on Sunday. I shouldn't need gas in the Bronco, so I can hold down the fort Saturday once we setup camp at Desert Creek.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, something has come up and I am going to have to bail. May be able to come out on Saturday or Sunday for a day run but won't be able to camp or do more than that. Got stuff at home that needs handling right now.

Sorry guys, something has come up and I am going to have to bail. May be able to come out on Saturday or Sunday for a day run but won't be able to camp or do more than that. Got stuff at home that needs handling right now.

Bummer. I hope everything is alright.

Thanks... Yeah just got some stuff that needs handling that is taking priority. Hopefully will be able to make the Hunter Lake run. Haven't been up there in a LONG time.

Looking forward to this and getting on the dirt and some cot time. Hope it will be cooler at Pine Grove than down here. If we find any poltergeists we will send them your way Greg. Still looking for that episode on "NV Paranormal"

Hey guys, I may not make the meetup at 4PM on Friday. I have some work stuff that might get in the way. If I am not there, I'll meet you in Pine Grove. Google Maps will take straight into Pine Grove, just punch in "Pine Grove, NV" and you're good to go. Head all the way up until you see the barn and the saloon on the main road. I suggest we camp there so we can circle the wagons and camp in the middle of them.

1594881259381.png

The saloon/inn is on the left and the barn is on the right...

_DSC2266.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom