FJ55 three terminal Flasher Relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
I do not own, nor have access to an FJ55, so I am coming here to try to get answers to help someone else here on MUD.

I make a two Terminal (B and L) replacement flasher relay for FJ40's that works fine. I have made a couple recently for early FJ55's that also use the two terminal flashers, and they also worked fine.

Recently someone asked me to build one for a 1974 FJ55, but said their flasher relay had three terminals B, L1 and L2. I assumed one of the terminals was just a ground, but a look at the only 1974 FJ55 schematic I have shows that L2 is actually connected to L6 on the Hazard switch which goes to +12V through the Brake Light Fuse, and L1 connects to the Hazard and the Turn switch. I found that very odd so looked at a 1975 FJ55 schematic. It has L2 connected to L6 also but firts does NOT connect to +12V and the drawing makes it appear that L6 is the rest position for the Hazard switch which would effectively connect L1 and L2 together when the Hazard switch is in the OFF position. One of these schematics has to be wrong or I am just too stupid right now to figure this three terminal relay out.

So... my questions are this:
Does anyone have a working 1974 or later FJ55 three terminal flasher relay they would loan me to figure out how it actually works?
If you have a FJ55 with the three terminal flasher relay and have successfully converted to all LEDs without using load resistors, I would love to know see how you did it.

PM me if you have a relay I could borrow or post here if you have information that would help.

Recently someone asked me to build one for a 1974 FJ55,
That might have been me...
So, yes. I have a flasher or two that you can borrow, I know at least one works.
I recall writing it up and posting in the 55 section how I got it to sorta work.

OK so Pighead is sending me a three terminal flasher relay.
In the meantime help me sort out something. Sor's website shows that there were 4 different flasher relays available for the FJ55 Flasher Relay:
68-10/69
10/69-7/70
7/70-9/77
9/77-7/80

Searching through the limited schematics I have found for the FJ55, it seems that 1974, possibly 75 was the year they went to a three terminal flasher which does not match up with the SOR list.

So if you have an OEM schematic for a FJ55 for the years 72, 73, 74, or 1975 that you can scan in and email to me (fj40 coolerman at gmail dot com) I would really appreciate it. I will post them to my web site schematic page for all to benefit from.

Also if you own an FJ55, and know where your turn signal flasher is, post here the month/year of your truck and how many terminals it has 2 or 3. If you really want to be helpful an OEM part number off of it would help.

Oh, the point of all this is to build an LED Flasher kit for the three terminal turn signal flasher equipped FJ55's to allow you to run LEDS for all the lights.

Mark aka Coolerman

HELP WITH BLINKER RELAY!! 1971 fj55
My Hazards flash just fine and my blinker lights turn on when I move the blinker to left or right, BUT... the blinkers do not flash on their own. So... I manually just click the flasher handle up an down when I need to use them... this is getting old.
Can someone help me figure this out?
Thanks

HELP WITH BLINKER RELAY!! 1971 fj55
My Hazards flash just fine and my blinker lights turn on when I move the blinker to left or right, BUT... the blinkers do not flash on their own. So... I manually just click the flasher handle up an down when I need to use them... this is getting old.
Can someone help me figure this out?
Thanks
If you go thru previous posts you would gleen that there is only one flasher and it takes about 50 W of power to make your flasher work. When you turn on your hazards both front and both rears are in the circuit at the same time. With the turn signal only half as much power is consumed.

This dead horse is continually beaten... check the fuses with a multimeter, fix the grounds, clean the sockets and electrical connectors and make sure you are using the correct bulbs in all of the lights.

If you go thru previous posts you would gleen that there is only one flasher and it takes about 50 W of power to make your flasher work. When you turn on your hazards both front and both rears are in the circuit at the same time. With the turn signal only half as much power is consumed.

This dead horse is continually beaten... check the fuses with a multimeter, fix the grounds, clean the sockets and electrical connectors and make sure you are using the correct bulbs in all of the lights.
Sooo helpful! Thanks for that... ill dive right in.

How's that LED flasher coming along? I am exercising some electrical issues on my Pig and have the dash pulled apart. I need an LED flasher. Ill locate mine today and let you know if it is 2 or 3 prong. I believe a 2 prong will work with a simple wire position swap?

Here is a Picture of my 3 wire Flasher assembly. My Pig build date is 11/75. I hope this helps.

IMG_20221211_095716224.jpg

I tried this flasher to use with LED's and couldn't get it to work
IMG_20221216_165135554.jpg

I'm still not convinced the Japanese flasher will work in the pig without help. The third prong on the assembly the one marked
"E" is for an Earth ground. The Pig has three prongs marked B, L,and S. a look at the diagram shows two loads.

Has anyone tried the Japanese flasher on the PIG to confirm operation?

3 pin flasher works!!! check it out

I have a mixed pig, but my electrical seems to closely follow the 76' diagrams. It has.the bulky 3 flasher relay and.i can confirm that the circuit does run through the flasher switch. A known good flasher relay and a known bad hazard switch made for zero turn signals.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom