Fixing driver side lean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife's FJ has a pretty good driver side lean, it's like a little over an inch I believe. It has an Icon suspension set for a 2.5" lift. Can I adjust the driver side shock preload to raise it and level it out? Does it matter if the preload doesn't match the passenger side?

3 bolts on top of the shock tower (likely 14mm) and the 19mm nut/bolt through the eyelet at the bottom of the shock. You'll have to remove the wheels and the steering tie rod (castle nut at the spindle). If your springs are spec'd for true L/R then you'll want the proper springs on each side.

You won't have to disassemble the springs or anything. With the 3 on top and the one large bolt on bottom, they should drop right out of the towers (OK, maybe a little wrangling will be necessary), but it's not difficult.

Just curious, but did you check the A arms for worn joints? Excess play in worn joints might cause a problem. If it wasn't leaning right after the lift was put on, then you have another problem. Is the driver side front wheel leaning in at the top a little? Jack the frame up and see if there is a lot of movement in the wheel and or A arms.

Just curious, but did you check the A arms for worn joints? Excess play in worn joints might cause a problem. If it wasn't leaning right after the lift was put on, then you have another problem. Is the driver side front wheel leaning in at the top a little? Jack the frame up and see if there is a lot of movement in the wheel and or A arms.

They don't seem worn. I checked the measurements and it's 30.5" on passenger and 30 1/8" on the driver, measured from bottom of rim to bottom of fender. Maybe my driveway makes it look worse, but it still drives me nuts.

The OEM front springs are color coded: no part number needed.

2013FJ4x4frontcoilcolorcodingCustom_zps3a670417.jpg

If after market - I have heard second and third hand (aka rumor mill) most lift kits ignore the fact the FJ leans and they provide identical left/right springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom