1968 FJ55 Local East Coast Swine Transfer (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You gotta be sooo happy :bounce:

I used 1” wheel spacers with my disc brake conversion and stock 15” wheels. I have a ~2-3” lift.

33x10.5”

B58AC93A-7012-472E-AEDC-B9462ABDE120.jpeg

Thanks gentlemen for all of the replies and encouragement. As much as it pains me to pay BFG 33" pricing to get a 31" tire, that may be the best option. Anyone run Maxxis or Yoko 31x10.5 and have a real world diameter measurement? Maxxis Bighorn 285/55 were bigger than the 35" KMs I took off one truck I had. Maybe the 31s are bigger than the 33 KM3s?

Some interior shots
IMG_2302-XL.jpg

IMG_2303-XL.jpg

IMG_2318-XL.jpg

IMG_2300-XL.jpg

IMG_2330-XL.jpg

If @bobm doesn't have any aluminum door cards, I'm going to need to find/make some. It also has no door seals. Slocruisers is out of stock, unfortunately, so I'll need some help figuring that out.

Door panels: FJ55 Land Cruiser Door Panels only...Custom Made in the USA....Black They are very high quality.

I recently bought these for my '85 4Runner in a 10.50x31-15: Geolandar M/T G003 | Mud Terrain Tire | Yokohama Tire

They are very smooth on the road. Haven't taken them into the dirt yet so can't say much for off-road characteristics or longevity.
Thanks! I have a set of 285/75r16 G003 on my 100 series and really like them. True to form, they were taller than the BFG KO2 in 295/75 that came off. If you could pull an actual height from those tires, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! I have a set of 285/75r16 G003 on my 100 series and really like them. True to form, they were taller than the BFG KO2 in 295/75 that came off. If you could pull an actual height from those tires, I'd appreciate it.

I keep the 4Runner in the woods at our family's hunting place. I might be going there in a few days and will do so. In the meantime @wngrog might have those measurements as I know he recently bought a set or two. They might have all been 33" though?

I keep the 4Runner in the woods at our family's hunting place. I might be going there in a few days and will do so. In the meantime @wngrog might have those measurements as I know he recently bought a set or two. They might have all been 33" though?
Thanks for that door panel link. Exactly what I needed.

No worries on the tires. I dug back through Nolen's thread and it was all 33. There's still a fair number of moving parts. I'll see what Georg has around the shop after the suspension is done.

I'm trying to resist my usual pattern of overbuilding. My first inclination was to drop in an H42 or 55, split case, OME lift, LRA tank, 3.7s, lockers, etc. But, this isn't a hardcore wheeling rig. More light wheeling to get to the mountain bike trails, camping spots, etc in NH and Vermont. 3 on the column, bench seat, etc seemed a shame to eliminate. I will put some sort of traction aid in the rear, and upgrade safety items like a power disc brake set up. Otherwise, I'm going for "stockish" but improved, capability and appearance.

I learned to drive in a 1970 Ford Ranchero with 3 on the tree. Fun to drive.

If and when I get around to doing a frame off I have considered going to the City Racer 16" rims so that I can go a bit skinnier than a 10.50 in a 16" tire. Not the cheapest option but an option nonetheless.

Last edited:
Got a lightning fast response back from @a1500ram about the door panels, so that problem is solved. I have no ashtrays with Chuck. He can make them without the ashtray cutouts, and I'm not a smoker nor does anyone get to smoke in my cars. But, like the 3 on the tree, this 70's classic feature is part of the truck. Are these unobtainium like the rest of the Pig parts, or can they be had relatively easily/cheaply?

Thanks for that door panel link. Exactly what I needed.

No worries on the tires. I dug back through Nolen's thread and it was all 33. There's still a fair number of moving parts. I'll see what Georg has around the shop after the suspension is done.

I'm trying to resist my usual pattern of overbuilding. My first inclination was to drop in an H42 or 55, split case, OME lift, LRA tank, 3.7s, lockers, etc. But, this isn't a hardcore wheeling rig. More light wheeling to get to the mountain bike trails, camping spots, etc in NH and Vermont. 3 on the column, bench seat, etc seemed a shame to eliminate. I will put some sort of traction aid in the rear, and upgrade safety items like a power disc brake set up. Otherwise, I'm going for "stockish" but improved, capability and appearance.

I put the measurements for the new Yokohama 285/75-16 on Steelies in my Oddball80 thread

Got a lightning fast response back from @a1500ram about the door panels, so that problem is solved. I have no ashtrays with Chuck. He can make them without the ashtray cutouts, and I'm not a smoker nor does anyone get to smoke in my cars. But, like the 3 on the tree, this 70's classic feature is part of the truck. Are these unobtainium like the rest of the Pig parts, or can they be had relatively easily/cheaply?

I have seen an ashtray or two around. You need the ashtray and the holder. I may have an extra one around that came in some parts but I'm sure I don't have a complete set. I would think they could be found.

The PO of my pig bought the full set of those cards; front, middle and rear. He only replaced the front and rear as he wanted to cut them for speakers. I still have the original panels and they are in pretty good shape. He didn't move the ashtrays over to the new fronts so that's on my to-do list.

I have seen an ashtray or two around. You need the ashtray and the holder. I may have an extra one around that came in some parts but I'm sure I don't have a complete set. I would think they could be found.

The PO of my pig bought the full set of those cards; front, middle and rear. He only replaced the front and rear as he wanted to cut them for speakers. I still have the original panels and they are in pretty good shape. He didn't move the ashtrays over to the new fronts so that's on my to-do list.
As many interior needs as this truck has, I probably should just let the ashtrays go. Useless, and it's not a restoration. Money and time better spent on sourcing and fixing the door seals, dash fix, etc.

Let me tell you my experience with the ash trays. I restored them, rechromed and all only to have them flop open at times and fill with water if you don't have the plastic booty to cover them. Not worth the effort just to look at them.

As many interior needs as this truck has, I probably should just let the ashtrays go. Useless, and it's not a restoration. Money and time better spent on sourcing and fixing the door seals, dash fix, etc.
Chuck is happy, way more attention than I was giving him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom