FJ40, J30 3-Speed 3rd Gear Grind? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m strongly considering updating the truck to a rebuilt H42 with matching transfer case, resurfaced flywheel, clutch fork (unless mine will work), fork hub, new clutch kit rather than Invest any more time with this setup. With so many leaks and transfer idler housing worn, it just doesn’t make sense to keep this the way it is.

While at it, might as well get a new head as I was told my 61010 is actually from an F motor.

B6E9C665-9658-48D7-8BB6-244F2C50774F.jpeg

They rebuilt the 2/76 2F motor with F head?? has anyone seen that before? Here are the cylinders they put in the rebuild.

1976_toyota_land_cruiser_fj40_15743782907a77dfa637152D146-58ED-41BF-8CE9-678E70EFBC97.jpeg

B7E459C4-F14F-4261-8015-1484F79218A5.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd stick with a course-spline transmission (output) / transfer - (early to 3/75) H42, or J30. The output shafts get kinda worn on the fine-spline ones, causing a leak between the two units, and the overflow on usually the transmission.

Edit, I'd also consider, just consider, a Heli-Coil repair for the buggered threads.

I may be wrong here, but that looks to me like a 4 speed fork, throwout bearing, and slave rod. If you are trying to adjust to the 3 speed specs, it may present some issues. Additionally, are you sure the line is bled so there is no air causing a short stroke?
It’s a 4/76 Colombian truck with 4 speed flywheel. The truck has pedal bucket and firewall that matches early 68-72. Was told that SA trucks were given whatever parts were available where federal trucks received the latest and greatest.

The clutch/flywheel made a change 8/74 which was nothing to do with the change to a four speed. Components just need to match. Three or four speed is not the problem.

Would be curious if the pedal bucket will unbolt or not. US the bucket changed 7/70 when the brake booster started. Prior to that the bucket was spot welded in.

Not really sure would say the US got lastest and greatest. What Toyota imported ro US was safety items and emissions other markets didn't get. The H42 is a friendlier pavement transmission than the H41. May explain why Toyota stuck with it with the H42 and 3.70:1 diffs gearing even after the H55F started. The H55F shares the same first thru forth gears as the H41. Australia got the 40 series options that many owners of US imported FJ40s wish they had.

I'd stick with a course-spline transmission (output) / transfer - (early to 3/75) H42, or J30. The output shafts get kinda worn on the fine-spline ones, causing a leak between the two units, and the overflow on usually the transmission.

Edit, I'd also consider, just consider, a Heli-Coil repair for the buggered threads.

For the record there are coarse tailshaft four speeds the US always got the H42 with a fine spline tailshaft. Not sure the H42 ever had one with coarse splines. All I ever heard see H41 or the earlier four speed with the lower first gear.

It is the one that they combine with the 2.30 low range transfer cases, if I am correct.

Edit - So it was the later 3-speed cases that went to fine spline, right?

Last edited:
It is the one that they combine with the 2.30 low range transfer cases, if I am correct.

Edit - So it was the later 3-speed cases that went to fine spline, right?

Not sure the gearing for low range was the same but the input gear was 16 spline with 29 teeth. Three speed was 10 spline with 29 teeth. Earlier three speed transfer case could use the 16 spline input gear and different rear bearing to use the three speed transfer on the four speed with 16 spline output shaft. The idler gear and low range have different part numbers. Never physically counted the teeth on transfer mated to the early four speed.

There is the remote possibility your installer installed a Chevy "Puck" type disc (which would fit your Landcruiser input shaft spline). Puck type disc are notorious for clutch "shudder" upon initial engagement, every time. The pucks merely ric-o-chet between the flywheel and pressure plate during engagement, racers don't care if their race cars shudder off-the-line..

Puck as opposed to spring? I have NEVER in 35 years had an issue with a puck disc...except when a customer installed their disc backwards.

The clutch/flywheel made a change 8/74 which was nothing to do with the change to a four speed. Components just need to match. Three or four speed is not the problem.

Would be curious if the pedal bucket will unbolt or not. US the bucket changed 7/70 when the brake booster started. Prior to that the bucket was spot welded in.

Not really sure would say the US got lastest and greatest. What Toyota imported ro US was safety items and emissions other markets didn't get. The H42 is a friendlier pavement transmission than the H41. May explain why Toyota stuck with it with the H42 and 3.70:1 diffs gearing even after the H55F started. The H55F shares the same first thru forth gears as the H41. Australia got the 40 series options that many owners of US imported FJ40s wish they had.
My pedal bucket is welded on. 3 hole firewall Single master cylinder, no brake booster. What 40 series options do you lucky Australians get for your trucks?

Thanks for the info on clutch changes and point of view on H42.

You bring up a good point on differentials. I have no idea what’s on this truck.

CCDEBDE2-489C-4DB5-8A4F-F345607CE82D.jpeg

AAA6CD30-A1D7-413A-B61D-490820772A44.jpeg

Last edited:
Jack one wheel and count the number of turns per revolution of wheel for the driveshaft in neutral.

wrong way....the wheel turns one time for every 3.70 or 4.11 revolutions of the prop shaft.

Jack one wheel and count the number of turns per revolution of wheel for the driveshaft in neutral.
wrong way....the wheel turns one time for every 3.70 or 4.11 revolutions of the prop shaft.
Thanks. I’ll check the rear diff tomorrow. If anyone has a good source for a rebuilt H42 with matching transfer assembly please let me know.

There are lots of reputable MUD vendors who should be able to help. Off the top of my head you’ve got @ToyotaMatt , @matzell and @OTRAMM all in your neck of the woods. And me, Marlin, George and Mudrak on the west coast if you want to pay the extra shipping costs.

I can’t speak for any of the others, but I’ve got about 70 cores on the shelf, so I have no problem selecting something good to start with. ;)

What 40 series options do you lucky Australians get for your trucks?

Diesels, full floating rear axles standard from 75 model on, cyclone air cleaner verses our 2F emissions style air cleaner, H55F five speed in short wheel base diesels from 10/82 on and an option in FJ40s. LX models which would never happen here just because of our Roll bar required in the US. Sure there are other options I'm sure I'm missing.

PS: I'm not in Australia just working on getting parts from there. Have plenty of US spec FJ40s. If I was interested in an cruiser from Colombia it would be a mid wheel base.

While at it, might as well get a new head as I was told my 61010 is actually from an F motor.

View attachment 2370959

They rebuilt the 2/76 2F motor with F head?? has anyone seen that before? Here are the cylinders they put in the rebuild.

pretty sure thats not an F head...the 610xx number is the 2F head....above the head bolt on the hand border of the pix is a single number, that is the date code.

I’m running 33x10.5R15’s. With passenger side rear wheel off ground, 1 wheel rotation, prop shaft rotated approx 2.1 times. Two rotations = 4.3 times. There are numbers on diff showing 41111-6001.
315323D1-EB7E-4704-8D03-435577F7C95A.jpeg

Last edited:
pretty sure thats not an F head...the 610xx number is the 2F head....above the head bolt on the hand border of the pix is a single number, that is the date code.
The date stamp code is 031082 as shown. Is this March, 10, 1982?
54AD0E16-E67B-47AD-B755-84E1D75D3908.jpeg

61010 is a non US 2F head. No air injection ports.

61010 is a non US 2F head. No air injection ports.
Thanks for this and for the east coast referrals. With my closed chamber head and flat top pistons, if I cannot find a 61010, your previous MUD posts say the 61031 will work.

I’m strongly considering updating the truck to a rebuilt H42 with matching transfer case, resurfaced flywheel, clutch fork (unless mine will work), fork hub, new clutch kit rather than Invest any more

Because your LC is a 76 model adding a four speed would be a easier conversion than it was in my 68. The height of the transmission cover and torque tube behind the transfer case are already made for a four speed. Good possibility your transfer case input gear has 31 one teeth. Then you would just need the standard four speed input gear and other pieces that fit on the transmission tailshaft. You current clutch set up is fine. Like Mark @65swb45 mentioned closer is better when locating parts. Bellhousing and four speed will not be cheap to ship.

Because your LC is a 76 model adding a four speed would be a easier conversion than it was in my 68. The height of the transmission cover and torque tube behind the transfer case are already made for a four speed. Good possibility your transfer case input gear has 31 one teeth. Then you would just need the standard four speed input gear and other pieces that fit on the transmission tailshaft. You current clutch set up is fine. Like Mark @65swb45 mentioned closer is better when locating parts. Bellhousing and four speed will not be cheap to ship.
Thanks for sharing your insights and experience. Since my transfer case idler shaft will not seal, I’m likely going to match H42 with new transfer case as well. The RTV silicone (engineered to work with gear oil) is not holding.
8BAEB935-563C-4A1B-9F0D-08BA158094EB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom