Hilux My diesel 4 door '86 LN65 Hilux progress and upgrades! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My co-worker likes to import stuff, and one day we found this LN65 for sale on Yahoo auctions in Japan. took a gamble based on the photos.

Hilux stuff by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

after a boat ride, and trailer ride from Tacoma to Portland..

1st step was to pass emissions
no issue there

now to fix some things
it sat around, the brakes were all pretty stuck, the injectors were bad, all of the belts were loose, the shocks were blown, basically it was in rough shape.. somebody painted it a few years ago and that seems about it.

stock 2l 2.4D

timing belt job

found some rust :(

but I fixed it :D
new tires, 31x10.5 Falken wildpeaks
new door hinge

very weird to drive a trailer RHD. I suck.
Tree work day with my co-workers 80 series.

went to cars n coffee offroad edition..
its reliable and smooth younger brother..

So I drove it around a bit, drove it from Portland to Lake Tahoe and decided yes, a turbo is absolutely necessary.
The Australians gave me advice to get a TD04 turbo, I tried to do my best to pick out the right parts., but what fun us bolting on parts..

Then once i took it all apart, I found that I was not getting off easy, as the manifold and turbo didnt bolt up nicely, and the manifold to head didnt line up either..

lots of grinding later it fits..

then I built this stand off to get the turbo lined up..

made a downpipe

found some boost tubes

welded in the return line fitting
bottom end looked good, nothing loose, oil squirters were found!
I was very impressed by the oil pickup on this motor! skookum!

CAD designed a waste gate bracket..
IMG_2611 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr
cleaned it up a little, and now its a running turbo truck!
still have a lot more to do, but thats about what Ive done so far..

I still want to clean the injectors, adjust the valves, and crank up the fueling..
but for now it boosts to 12 psi, hits 900 EGT and make great power, I love it!!

Will update, but since I am in process of buying/ selling my house it may be a little bit.. anyway, let me know what you think!

Awesome! Those early 4 doors are definitely rad.

Never would have guessed the early gen 2L had oil squirters, that’s a win for sure. what manifold and turbo did you end up with? Either way 900 is a great max egt, have you played with the fuel at all?

Awesome! Those early 4 doors are definitely rad.

Never would have guessed the early gen 2L had oil squirters, that’s a win for sure. what manifold and turbo did you end up with? Either way 900 is a great max egt, have you played with the fuel at all?
Thanks!
I heard they didn’t have squirters so I was definitely surprised and happy to see them.
The turbo is off of a Saab- it’s a td04-15 I think the manifold is for a 5L or 2.8; I definitely had a lot of issues getting it to fit.
I have yet to mess with the fuel- I hear from the Oz that about 1 turn will give me 20 psi and OK egts with this setup.. but right now I’m still in shake down mode and making sure my work doesn blow apart. I think I’ll mess with the fuel screw after a few tanks as is. I also read my trans is relatively weak and I shouldn’t drive too hard on it, so I’ll try not to go ripping burnout or that stuff 😭

Thanks!
I heard they didn’t have squirters so I was definitely surprised and happy to see them.
The turbo is off of a Saab- it’s a td04-15 I think the manifold is for a 5L or 2.8; I definitely had a lot of issues getting it to fit.
I have yet to mess with the fuel- I hear from the Oz that about 1 turn will give me 20 psi and OK egts with this setup.. but right now I’m still in shake down mode and making sure my work doesn blow apart. I think I’ll mess with the fuel screw after a few tanks as is. I also read my trans is relatively weak and I shouldn’t drive too hard on it, so I’ll try not to go ripping burnout or that stuff 😭

Nice. Maybe a late 2lt manifold, doubt it’s from an NA truck. 2lte ones I’ve seen are divided. Did you make that adapter yourself or find it for sale somewhere? Lots of us interested in adapting those turbos to the CT20 flange.

1 full turn is going to be a lot, but I would love to hear the results. You probably have the G52 trans, just like my truck - feel free to beat the tar out of it and a W56 will drop right in when the time comes. Make sure your cooling system is up to it!

Nice. Maybe a late 2lt manifold, doubt it’s from an NA truck. 2lte ones I’ve seen are divided. Did you make that adapter yourself or find it for sale somewhere? Lots of us interested in adapting those turbos to the CT20 flange.

1 full turn is going to be a lot, but I would love to hear the results. You probably have the G52 trans, just like my truck - feel free to beat the tar out of it and a W56 will drop right in when the time comes. Make sure your cooling system is up to it!
Awesome advice! I heard the W56 was a pretty close match, I’ll probably try and buy one ahead and plan that with my clutch upgrade..
I was thinking 1/8th turn at a time for the pump, but giving it 1/4 at first..

On cooling- I was reading some threads on thermostat upgrades but haven’t gotten to a decision on what to try.. but it sounds like that’s the factory bottle neck.
For the manifold adapter/ I purchased 2 eBay t25 flanges, and welded a small section of tubing between them. Kinda winged it, welded the crap out of it and am hoping for the best. It did give me an easy spot to put my EGT gauge though!
I don’t think it would be hard to make similar adapter to go from the actual
Factory turbo manifold ( what I should have gotten) to mount like I did! My AC fits but it’s tight near the clutch master to the downpipe.

I've lusted after a double cab like that ever since the internet first showed me that they existed - back in the listserv days.

Awesome advice! I heard the W56 was a pretty close match, I’ll probably try and buy one ahead and plan that with my clutch upgrade..
I was thinking 1/8th turn at a time for the pump, but giving it 1/4 at first..
I haven’t looked to much into it but I know there are forward and top shift variants of the W56. Not sure if they all fit the gear t cases we have or if you need to get an early one. Lots of threads on yotatech or marlin boards.

At those boost and fuel levels are you planning on fitting a boost compensator from a 2lt pump? Might be worthwhile to check your timing too and dial it back a smidge if it’s not already

I haven’t looked to much into it but I know there are forward and top shift variants of the W56. Not sure if they all fit the gear t cases we have or if you need to get an early one. Lots of threads on yotatech or marlin boards.

At those boost and fuel levels are you planning on fitting a boost compensator from a 2lt pump? Might be worthwhile to check your timing too and dial it back a smidge if it’s not already
I wasn’t sure about how to approach the fuel long term actually. Sounds like the high performance guys run a larger diameter pump I think 12mm? But they all swear any electrical IP is junk and can’t be tuned up much. I’ll look into the boost compensation, because I’m worried I will lose my easy starting and clean exhaust when I shoot for more boost by throwing more fuel at it.
In my other diesel endeavors, retarded timing and boost were good friends. My goal for this really is reliability and basically able to do 70 on the hwy without any issues.

How was the whole process of bidding and getting it shipped?
Pretty easy considering my coworker had a contact to help us get it from the buyer to port, and him knowing how to talk through customs at port here.. I think OR is pretty about what they will register too which helps

Any updates?
John
Nothing too wild, I just finished buying 5 acres with a shop and selling my previous property.. so been very busy moving things up
I have been driving it a TON, basically daily driving it.. probably about 3 tanks of fuel in the last month or so, avging about 25MPG

I did get antsy and turn the fuel up a little,
So far it peaks at 20psi at 3500rpm, and the highest egt I have seen is 1100 pre turbo, whopping it up a hill.. it runs really clean like the too, very hard to get any black soot.

EA924704-01A2-4477-A99A-2F38F9F13CB8.jpeg

Very cool 4Runner; I've never seen one in the US before. Was it hard getting used to RHD? Seems like the shifting would be the hardest part.

134F5951-39B5-4B2D-8E1E-D127C021E870.jpeg

Only update for now is we are not happy about the wildfires...
Thinking I’ll have time to do my new nozzles soon and I’d like to give my trans and diff another oil change before winter hits.

I'm curious how these fit on the frame. My understanding is that it is the same frame as the longbed. Does the longer cab sit on the front support for the "standard" bed (the forward of the two uprights)?

I'm curious how these fit on the frame. My understanding is that it is the same frame as the longbed. Does the longer cab sit on the front support for the "standard" bed (the forward of the two uprights)?

Mine is the next gen but I think they’re the same. Not sure if we’re thinking of the same supports, but the cab sits on 3 uprights each side. The rear most one is right above the front leaf spring mount. The bed is mounted above the shock mount on the frame where it turns upward to accommodate the rear axle. I can take pictures if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom