Replaced starter, now just cranks and cranks no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1983 FJ60, my starter was going bad this week, sometimes just hear one little click, pop the hood, bang on it with a hammer a bit, then it would start right up, or sometimes just very slow at cranking at first. I've had a "rebuilt" starter I got off ebay a long time ago, knowing that mine was the original and would probably go bad eventually. So today I replaced the starter with the rebuilt ebay one, and now it just cranks and cranks and won't start. Any ideas? Maybe I just bought a bad starter? Should I clean the ground wire contacts on the starter a bit? HeLP!!!!

I’m confused. You said it’s cranking. If it’s cranking and by cranking you mean it’s spinning the engine...then the starter is doing it’s job and you have a problem somewhere else.

did you take the Wires off the battery when you changed out the starter?

did you look to make sure the coil Wire is still securely seated on both the cap and the coil?

mare all of the electrical leads still attached to the top of the coil?

Most likely you just knocked something loose when you swapped the starter.

Also how does your fusible link look ?

I took the battery wires off when replacing it, just put the multi meter on the battery has 12v, yes it will just crank and crank and crank won’t turn the engine over, but before it wouldn’t crank at all unless I tapped the starter. Where is the fuseable link? That’s the green connection somewhere right? I swapped my old one back on, now won’t start with that one either, I must have bummed something, it’s just odd because it’ll crank forever even with the old one now

Okay sorry for all the posts, now it’s starting with the old stater, no tapping, I cleaned the ground contacts on the starter pretty well maybe that was it? They had some rust/corrosion. We’ll see how it goes over the weekend

Count the teeth on the starter as part of comparing replacement parts. I knew a guy with a older Nissan that he replaced the starter on when it was going bad like yours and it would only crank and crank, never fired. Once it was pulled back off he noticed the new one had 4 less teeth overall and managed to swap the new starter onto the old starter head with more teeth and it worked perfectly after that, glad you got the old starter working though.

Cranking means that the starter is spinning and it’s spinning the engine. Are you trying to say you hear the starter motor making noise but it’s not spinning the engine? Turning Over also means that the pistons are going up and down.

Car is not starting, engine is cranking, but it is now starting after I put the old starter back on, maybe just bad connection?

If the old starter was able to rotate the engine internals and the new starter was able to rotate the engine internals then if one starts the engine so should the other. Unless there is some difference in the circuitry of the starter but I’d have to study wiring diagrams to see if the fuel pump relay or a computer gets anything from the starter.

1983 FJ60, my starter was going bad this week, sometimes just hear one little click, pop the hood, bang on it with a hammer a bit, then it would start right up, or sometimes just very slow at cranking at first. I've had a "rebuilt" starter I got off ebay a long time ago, knowing that mine was the original and would probably go bad eventually. So today I replaced the starter with the rebuilt ebay one, and now it just cranks and cranks and won't start. Any ideas? Maybe I just bought a bad starter? Should I clean the ground wire contacts on the starter a bit? HeLP!!!!

you have knocked off your Distributor wire or pulled it off

start there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom