Rear Jump Seats Do Not Match (1973 USDM FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi, this is peculiar. One of my jump seats sits too far toward the center of the vehicle, and the rubber feet don't sit where they're supposed to.

I attached pictures of the mechanism on the seat which pushed it out farther. I'm assuming this can't be factory... Was one of my seats replaced years ago?

Let me know what you think! This one is stumping me lol.

Pictures are as ordered:
Driver side angle 1, passenger side angle 1, driver side angle 2, passenger side angle 2

:cheers:

20200709_195943.jpg

20200709_195948.jpg

20200709_200006.jpg

20200709_200003.jpg

Yeah, looks like it was rewelded to the seat frame at a different angle than original.

I see a rollbar which means your seats are not mounted where they were when they left the factory. That changes everything. Could simply be where a PO mounted them different.

What does the rollbar have to do with it?
The roll bar being where it is pushes the seats to be bolted further away from the side.

Depending on the year it probably didn't come with a roll bar and may have had the long jump seats. Someone along the way decided to put a roll bar in and then also add the jump seats.
That's my guess.

The welds do seem like they could be off, but you didn't have a pic for how far off the little rubber bump stops sit off the edge. I would guess the weld issue would not shift them so much to sit completely off the wheel well.

Mine is a 76 so the roll bar is different but this is the set up for that. Notice how they sit between roll bar mounting position to push back the jump seat mounting position.

Also not in your pictures is how it bolts to the sides. see third picture.

Lol disregard my dual seats with conferr bench seat also installed. It's not that way now but I go between wanting one or the other.
1594399937079.png

1594400033938.png

1594400254636.png

I see a rollbar which means your seats are not mounted where they were when they left the factory. That changes everything. Could simply be where a PO mounted them different.

This would be my bet. The PO was just sloppy with the mounting location after pulling them to install the aftermarket roll bar.

In my 70 I had to use a hockey Puck under each side of seat to level out seat.

Not sure why you would need anything to level the seats. In 1974 I installed an Smittybuilt rollbar in my 68. Bought a kit from Man-A Fre to install the jump seats.

Last edited:
In the original posters pictures 1 and 2 you can see the filled holes from where the jump seats had originally been mounted. The seats were likely moved when the rollbar was installed and not enough care was taken to get the spacing the same on both sides.

Looking at your pictures again the pad not resting on the wheel wheel could be different kit to space the seat out. The early kit spaced the seat out even. Newer one spaced spaced the front out further which moved the back further in. As for the angle on the seat itself agree looks like a repair that didn't match original location. It I had any rusted seats with bad repairs which I don't would just go to the shelf and grab a better one.;)

IMG_20200206_141423772.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom