Builds Katit's LX470 2001 restoration/maintenance thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got to the "bottom of it". Now just need to put it back together starting with cleaning, insulation, stereo wiring.
Need to clean some rust/filth from a center console frame. Overall all in great shape.

Couple questions if anyone even reading this :)
1. I want to close holes from 3rd row seatbelts (top ones). Any clever ideas for tan plugs? I am even debating completely removing 3rd row floor hooks but probably going to leave it alone..
2. Rear side windows (those that open to the side). One is leaking, pretty sure it's window as I see dust on bottom seal inside and I've seen water inside right rear storage compartment. Is that common issue and is there any cure? Maybe some kind of adjustment to get it closed tighter?
3. Best path for power wire from battery to the amp?

IMG_2599.jpg

3. Where is the amp going?

Good. One option is to route power cable along inner driver front fender and along firewall. Lots places for a fuse holder. You can puncture a hole in the big rubber boot opposite the HVAC motor and glovebox and shove it through there. Remove the glovebox and you can see/pull the wire through with long needle nose pliers IIRC. Go down the kick panel, then along the wire bundle hidden by the carpet and scuff plate, and voila.

If you are paranoid about the hole in the rubber boot through the firewall, seal the hole with some silicone.

FWIW, I used 4AWG and found a power distro block that had 4AWG in, and 4AWG out and two 8AWG out. 4AWG to the amp, 8AWG to a powered sub and 7 pin trailer connector. The footprint of the power distro block is small (unfused) and was on Amazon.

FWIW, I used 4AWG and found a power distro block that had 4AWG in, and 4AWG out and two 8AWG out. 4AWG to the amp, 8AWG to a powered sub and 7 pin trailer connector. The footprint of the power distro block is small (unfused) and was on Amazon.
I don't need that. I already have trailer connector setup by PO, so not sure what there. Sub is going to be connected to Amp. Interesting, just now I re-ordered sub. I got 8in VFL-8D4 thinking it will fit but tried and nope. It won't. I want to keep sub in stock location. So, placed order for VFL-65D4, should fit. I hope.

Some progress today. Power wire from battery to under passenger seat. Looks good, something is not "perfect" because I did puncture rubber boot and even though I used silicone to close it - it's not ideal. But you know - it's my car, I can do whatever I want, right?

Started to slowly make my way "back" from disassembling everything. Center console frame cleaned, sanded, painted. Sound deadening installed in center console area, all cleaned and assembled.

Started headliner and carpet cleaning. Had some stains on headliner - coming off with Tornador like nothing was there. On carpet it's tough but will look like new when I'm done. Pictures show most stubborn/dirty stains before and after with just one pass. This thing rules!! Wife was amazed (she always is with my garage toys).

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

Hate this job but it has to be done. One pass with Tornador (with loundry detergent mix). Then, good pass with upholstery vacuum cleaner (plain water)
Carpet is pretty good now. Of course most stubborn stains still visible, but most of them in hard to see areas. When installed - will be like new.

Headliner OTOH came out like new. I was scared of brown soda stains but they came out like nothing was there with Tornador. Now everything going to dry outside for couple days and I am pretty much on my way "down the hill" with interior reassembly.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

Do you think there is any chance the carpet may shrink while out of the car and wet?

Headliner is back. So, I am doing progress :) It's important. Ceiling was insulated. Area on a back had some felt padding. Area behind sun roof was bare metal. All surfaces treated with 80mil Noico + in those 2 areas added heavy replacement jute pad.

Ghetto fix for air vent. Someone broke a tab and those can be replaced only when headliner off. Simply welded plastic together. Not like I am going to try and buy this part that noone will ever see.

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

What are those relatively un-insulated copper pipes for?

Those are AC lines. I was surprised of complexity of AC system. I knew there is evap in a back, but there is another one under driver seat. On top you see lines but 2 of them capped, maybe there was more advanced systems???

Wow, didn't see that coming. Must have had some roof mounted unit in some of these. I'm mystified.

I might be completely wrong now that I think about it. Those are copper lines, not alum. So, I don't know :) Somebody else can comment on those :)

Do those have anything to do with the sunroof drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom