Project 1975 FJ40 restromod V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there a reason most people are going with 5.3 V8 swap over the LS 6.2? is there a size issue?
Those LS motors are the same size, physically. You'll spend too much money for a motor built for higher rpm power output than you'll reasonably use in your 40 unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the sand or mud pit with the throttle pinned to the floor. Like what was mention earlier an "GEN IV" (aluminum) 5.3 can be built with a torque and horsepower curve much better suited for daily driving and offroad use for much less. I'm building one for mine. Saying "its got a 6.2" is simply bragging(or compensating) for MOST of our trucks here, unless, like I said earlier it was built for a specific purpose. Even then, a LQ4 6.0 out of one of a million 2500HD chevy trucks ruining around will out perform that 6.2 after spending some money on hop-up parts and you''ll still be money ahead of the 6.2... my opinion of course. The iron block 5.3, and 4.8 for that matter, as well as their aluminum brothers are all AWESOME motors. Get one, change the cam, be happy!

@OFF MAP great build. Love how you are getting at it. Love the backyard shop. Your wife must be a keeper!!! I am in Dallas. Would love to stop by with my boys. We are cruiserheads. I will PM you my cell number so we can connect. We are Covid-19 free🤣.

I would love to have you over anytime...that goes for anyone in the Dallas Area..,, just be careful I do not put you to work (wink) seriously Come over anytime. PM me

Those LS motors are the same size, physically. You'll spend too much money for a motor built for higher rpm power output than you'll reasonably use in your 40 unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the sand or mud pit with the throttle pinned to the floor. Like what was mention earlier an "GEN IV" (aluminum) 5.3 can be built with a torque and horsepower curve much better suited for daily driving and offroad use for much less. I'm building one for mine. Saying "its got a 6.2" is simply bragging(or compensating) for MOST of our trucks here, unless, like I said earlier it was built for a specific purpose. Even then, a LQ4 6.0 out of one of a million 2500HD chevy trucks ruining around will out perform that 6.2 after spending some money on hop-up parts and you''ll still be money ahead of the 6.2... my opinion of course. The iron block 5.3, and 4.8 for that matter, as well as their aluminum brothers are all AWESOME motors. Get one, change the cam, be happy!

I got the 2018 LT 6.2 with 18,000 miles on it for 3800.00 and got the transmission and the transfer case I can sell...I think I have the transmission sold for 750.00 so it was a good deal for me and with 35-inch tires it will be fine.. I was going to have the 327 V8 gone through and the guy wanted 3500.00 and that does not include the fuel injection....with the set up I have now it have the computer and all the accessories

@OFF MAP great build. Love how you are getting at it. Love the backyard shop. Your wife must be a keeper!!! I am in Dallas. Would love to stop by with my boys. We are cruiserheads. I will PM you my cell number so we can connect. We are Covid-19 free🤣.

Yes I have converted my back yard into a junkyard, parts everywhere..LOL as far as a wife !! LOL I got rid of her 10 years ago..its just me and my 11 year old daughter!...this way I do not have to hear about the mess Im making LOL its all good!

this build is a nice exemple of a low SOA with 35 inchs tire

For what's worth, I'm going soa with my 6.0. flipped springs in front...TBD in the rear.

Also, as a side note, I have a tire farm as well as parts farm along the side of house...my wife has one run, which is that I am not allowed to bring home anything that lives under a tarp. Seems reasonable to me:)

Last edited:
I need help....I want to get a 4-inch OME lift kit to clear 35-inch tires. The fenders have been cut by the previous owner and fender flares installed..I removed them because they were in bad shape...but my question is will the 2.5 inch lift with the fenders cut allow me to put 35 inch tires? or does anyone know of a good riding 4 inch lift for the FJ40? thanks
OME don't make 4" lift , only 2.5"

To make it a 4" , you can use it with a shackle reversal

SOA is a little more work but will give you the best smooth ride
Not everyone loves the shackle reversal, but I’m a fan. I have the reversal in front with longer shackles in the back sitting on 2.5 OME springs and shocks. Between the lift, 35’s and Fj80 power steering it’s a joy on the highway and offroad. Springs are not overly arched, so they ride nice. I stil need to put longer bumpstops in front and rear, but it’s rarely a problem. I opened my rear fenders a touch and that helped a lot
4C8C79A4-6C8D-4D74-B9D8-B5486E614EE8.jpeg

OME don't make 4" lift , only 2.5"

To make it a 4" , you can use it with a shackle reversal

SOA is a little more work but will give you the best smooth ride

Depends on how much stuff you have in your Cruiser. I have an OME 2.5" in lift, but when I removed the hardtop, drawers, tools, and parts, it suddenly became a 4.5" lift.:cool:

Not everyone loves the shackle reversal, but I’m a fan. I have the reversal in front with longer shackles in the back sitting on 2.5 OME springs and shocks. Between the lift, 35’s and Fj80 power steering it’s a joy on the highway and offroad. Springs are not overly arched, so they ride nice. I stil need to put longer bumpstops in front and rear, but it’s rarely a problem. I opened my rear fenders a touch and that helped a lotView attachment 2362537

I will have to pick your brain on the Fj80 power steering but one hurdle at a time I want to get the engine set first then see where my steering will go.i.e. headers or stock......I was wanting a set of 35's but I would settle for 34 or 33 BFGs the fender in the back are so hopefully that enough...if even those will not fit properly then I will do a spring over...but would I still use a 2 .5 inch spring of a stock spring?

I'm using 2.5" springs from CCOT and 1.5" extended shackles for a 4" advertised lift. I plan on running 33x10.50 BFG A/T's. For what it's worth, anyway.

For what's worth, I'm going soa with my 6.0. flipped springs in front...TBD in the rear.

Also, as a side note, I have a tire farm as well as parts farm along the side of house...my wife has one run, which is that I am not allowed to bring home anything that lives under a tarp. Seems reasonable to me:)

what is SOA? sorry and will 33-inch tires fit on a 2.5 inch OME lift, with trimmed fenders?

I'm using 2.5" springs from CCOT and 1.5" extended shackles for a 4" advertised lift. I plan on running 33x10.50 BFG A/T's. For what it's worth, anyway.

Thank you...I wonder what it will look like with all that shackle showing Jeep make an angled one, looks like a boomerang would that work? does any company make a better-looking shackle than the long straight ones?

SOA is spring over axle.
Lots of people run 33s with a 2.5” lift

so a 2.5 inch and 33's will fit with out rubbing? if so I may be interested in that combo...I found a company RUFFSTUFF that makes a perch spring kit for a SOA (I know what it means now Springs over Axle) So now my question is what kind of springs should I get if I go this route? use the stock springs? any advice is welcome. Thanks Also is there any shop in Dallas area that works on these FJ40's?

so a 2.5 inch and 33's will fit with out rubbing? if so I may be interested in that combo...I found a company RUFFSTUFF that makes a perch spring kit for a SOA (I know what it means now Springs over Axle) So now my question is what kind of springs should I get if I go this route? use the stock springs? any advice is welcome. Thanks Also is there any shop in Dallas area that works on these FJ40's?
Dude, start reading before just going all crazy buying stuff. Think about what your goals are, how much you want to spend (double that is what it's going to actually cost you, and at least triple that if you are paying someone to do the work) and then come up with a plan. Just because you now know what a soa is doesn't mean you need one.

Dude, start reading before just going all crazy buying stuff. Think about what your goals are, how much you want to spend (double that is what it's going to actually cost you, and at least triple that if you are paying someone to do the work) and then come up with a plan. Just because you now know what a soa is doesn't mean you need one.

Calm down calling me DUDE.....DUDE......I do have a game plan....I do have goals.....and somewhat of a budget. I had a spring-over axle on my Jeep..I just never heard it said in this manner........ I came to this site because of the friendly advice please do not ruin my opinion of it. Thanks. I'm shocked there's not more of a selection on 4-inch lifts....and even if I wanted a 2.5 inch from OME it can take until Aug or Sept to get it. So I'm now interested in a Spring Over. If you do not want to help with ideas on what parts to get, then don't help.....but chill out on the negativity.

Calm down calling me DUDE.....DUDE......I do have a game plan....I do have goals.....and somewhat of a budget. I had a spring-over axle on my Jeep..I just never heard it said in this manner........ I came to this site because of the friendly advice please do not ruin my opinion of it. Thanks. I'm shocked there's not more of a selection on 4-inch lifts....and even if I wanted a 2.5 inch from OME it can take until Aug or Sept to get it. So I'm now interested in a Spring Over. If you do not want to help with ideas on what parts to get, then don't help.....but chill out on the negativity.
Absolutely no negativity intended in my post. Simply pointing out the fact that you are asking questions that have been answerd all over mud. If doing a soa using stock springs anything less than a 35" tire will look silly. If using lifted springs you can fit 40". Again if you spell out what your goals are you will get much better advice. What is your intended use, what size tires would you like, how much on road driving vs off-road, what type of off-road trails. Once you have thought about those questions the rest will fall into place with some use of the search function. The biggest difference between jeeps is that most people in the fj40 are looking for a stock like look with maybe small lifts. The market is smaller and so less parts are available for bigger lifts like the jeep aftermarket is geared towards. If looking for 35 inch tires and 4" or more of lift visit the hardcore section as there is also a ton of info there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom