Trying to Start by itself! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heard the LC trying to start today so ran outside to find it trying to start itself!
It was locked, keys were in the house and it was cranking away. Went back and got the keys, jumped in and turned the ignition on and it started straight away without turning it to start.
Turned it off at the ignition but it was still cranking away so I had to disconnect both batteries.

Also found that pulling the starter relay stops it from trying to start. Someone said it sounds like a live going back up the wire from a dodgy solenoid?

Car doesn't have a remote start.
Got a video but can't attach it using the 'attach files'

Heard the LC trying to start today so ran outside to find it trying to start itself!
It was locked, keys were in the house and it was cranking away. Went back and got the keys, jumped in and turned the ignition on and it started straight away without turning it to start.
Turned it off at the ignition but it was still cranking away so I had to disconnect both batteries.

Also found that pulling the starter relay stops it from trying to start. Someone said it sounds like a live going back up the wire from a dodgy solenoid?

Car doesn't have a remote start.
Got a video but can't attach it using the 'attach files'
Hi,

Have you tried changing the starter relay? Cheap and easy option to start with. Excuse the pun.

Hi,

Have you tried changing the starter relay? Cheap and easy option to start with. Excuse the pun.
I haven't, I tested it and it was fine but I might just change it to rule it out. Like you said, easy option

I haven't, I tested it and it was fine but I might just change it to rule it out. Like you said, easy option
I'm not an Auto electrician, but I didn't think there was a permanent live supply to the starter solenoid, so if theres not, then a live can't go back up the wire.

I stand to be corrected, and it will be interesting to know the outcome.

Good luck.

I had this happen but it was right after reseating the relay. It's possible to grab the relay, pull it out, put it back, and the housing part is a little deformed over the guts and it just starts cranking.
I put it back in carefully after re installing the plastic housing back over it until it was correct enough to not auto crank. Hasn't happened again, 2.5 years. same relay.

difficult to say about the ign+ wire without which year your talking about. body ecu, time delay, maybe a wild swing of temperature. I could see how this could happen while someone was sleeping. Pretty remote though.

This happened to me too when the relay became a bit deformed and it cranked the engine.
I did a few tests,
With ignition OFF I get 12v top left 0v on the others.
Ignition ON i get 12v top left and 9v bottom right.
Ignition to START I get 12v top left and 12v bottom right.
All checked with the relay removed.

It makes sense apart from the 9v when the ignition is to ON (still doesn't explain how it tried to start with the ignition off and the keys out!).
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 17.37.52.jpeg

I've chased similar gremlins. I ended up replacing the starter relay and haven't had any problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom