Lucy Liu, a long overdue 5.3 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting thought. I feel that hood vents would help a lot of the cooling issues with these trucks. That air needs to escape and bring the ambient engine bay temps down.

@POTATO LAUNCHER has some awesome vents on his 60 I was considering as well

Strictly based on on observation the “popsicle stick“ sized electric fan blades fail to compare to the canoe paddle sized Mechanical fan.

Even with duals it didn’t push a lot of air, now with the hood shut the mechanical fan pushes so much air I can feel it through the seams - a huge difference

Last edited:
Exactly what I discovered when I installed a the AC back into my SBC 60. Everything I tried from HD fan clutch(that just killed the gas milage and added a very loud fan to the equation), Aluminum radiator, water wetter all had the same results. As soon as the AC is engaged engine temps went into the red. Push the blue "turbo" button off and everything went back to normal. I could easily find the source of heat. I struggled to not cut holes in the hood but had no good solution. Thought about louvering the fenderwells but that would cause a whole new issue with water and road/ trail grime. I purchased a pair of louver panels off Flee-Bay and carefully located the panels to clear hood trusses and keep the lines as clean as possible with the 60 series hood bump.
Once installed the temps went back to normal and I have yet to see any issues.
Yes, I was not wanting to cut the hood but the end result is exactly what was required to remedy the heat exiting the engine bay.

20200630_114527.jpg

20200630_114503.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing the image dump here and can’t not note the infamous Solid Axle Summit

Through the process of getting the truck baselined the incentive was to see a bunch of yahoos on here in Colorado.

2300 miles and 38 hours later we made it to Moab in a truck we fixed two nights prior.

:hillbilly:Met @John McVicker , @Jason hansen , and his wife Monica - Had my first real beer outside of Massachusetts and was forever grateful that there are other lunatics that appreciate these trucks as I do. For the next two weeks, this crew put me through the paces, and probably took a few years off my life in the process...a recurring theme each year

Another high note of the trip was meeting @The Machinist & @rhah who witnessed the aftermath of a 26 quart cooler jumping through my rear window in Utah, then the subsequent reinstall with a shoelace, vaseline and a bud light courtesy of @POTATO LAUNCHER :hillbilly:- I’ll find those gems soon
D2CB8BE7-46C5-4224-A0AF-2B552B511388.jpeg

555D0C5B-D02D-4A16-A9A0-D5BE163E49F8.jpeg

B310685E-CB15-4464-8453-F82313407E10.jpeg

C150F218-5A82-4FBE-A445-1C4F297DF3A0.jpeg

D89BB6A6-B055-4D8A-9795-D5E5BE3426BD.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s been such a long journey and with the daily undates I almost forgot what your 60 used to look like. Can’t wait to scratch your new paint 😜

It’s been such a long journey and with the daily undates I almost forgot what your 60 used to look like. Can’t wait to scratch your new paint 😜

It’s still being held hostage but I should have big updates verrrry soonnnn

Until then more images you’ve already seen

Slowwww progression at the body shop but these are all I have for now

recent updates coming from them note that windows are out and the truck is in primer except for the roof.

Having them re-seal the gutters while they’re up there. Changed some little things to suit my needs and chose not to add new chrome trim on the windows and roof, it doesn’t last long up here anyways. Additionally, I had the headlight washer holes welded up and sanded smooth along with the mounting holes for the snake blinders on the running boards.

It’d be nice to retain that but the hardware is long gone and for the cost id rather have a super straight body with a few less holes for water to find itself in.

Fun Fact: There were 48 dents in my hood, almost mad I didn’t get a photo of that as it looks fantastic now and they fixed the bracing that was lifting off behind it. As a reward it’s getting two new struts to keep it steady

87A6B78F-D84C-4462-A537-CCC4286D8BBB.jpeg

422D99FB-717A-4155-A04D-DD06D15EED89.jpeg

51A25EE2-B69A-4CD4-BE3F-F595C3C5F03A.jpeg

800E54ED-12B1-43E8-BF59-6AF7CF8EF39C.jpeg

E1B302AB-F97B-480B-9C82-AFEDDB99115C.jpeg

It should be said that before this turned into a full blown repaint I took it in for a rear quarter repair. Caught it when I was rotating my tires

while the truck does live in the salt belt I take great pains in keeping it rust free. She’s from California and thankfully in great shape from the start, and I aim to keep it that way. This was my first major rust issue and hopefully won’t need to worry for a while given the extent of the work being done right now

ED23D94A-DB1F-40EF-8706-D2FCEBF43D72.jpeg

Glad you started a thread already :rolleyes:. I stained the sh*t out of my QOTSA shirt getting that T-case to shift while laying in the dirt! Beer may or may not be partially responsible for my actions.

Love your 60 man, and i am stealing a pic for my website!

Cheers

Glad you started a thread already :rolleyes:. I stained the sh*t out of my QOTSA shirt getting that T-case to shift while laying in the dirt! Beer may or may not be partially responsible for my actions.

Love your 60 man, and i am stealing a pic for my website!

Cheers
It’s an honor!

if it wasn’t for you Jockeying that linkage I would have been up the creek, what a week that was

30 DAYS TO GO

Did I miss something?

@NeverGiveUpYota nothing at all hahaha - Nate is subjected to my ranting and raving on a weekly basis

There was a period of time where the body shop choose to prioritize other projects over mine - a few weeks ago I saw to it that it wasn’t going to continue that way.

lesson learned: never let on to the body shop you have other vehicles to drive while you wait. Anyways - should have some pictures this week of some FRESH RED PAINT.

they’re painting my roof after the gutters are resealed and touched up, then pulling glass for the full shoot.

all that’s left to do is put on the Freeborn Red!!

two words to NEVER say inside a machine shop or body shop:

No rush

Nate is subjected to my ranting and raving on a weekly basis
It’s good you’ve got him. I’ve got a few who hear me weekly to daily...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom