Events/Trails LCDC 6 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hotel reservation confirmed - Homewood Suite in Ft Collins
LC200 - A few more touch up, but mechanical is ready.
Route - 31 hrs or 2100 miles from MA through Kansas. Stopping in St Louis for some BBQ.

I will have 2 GMRS portable radio and 2 Boafeng portable Ham with me. Also have some recovery gear, tools and portable air pump.

Anyone from East coast want to convoy up? I can meet up anywhere along MA & CO. :)

I'll be coming from Maryland. I had intended to stop in Kansas for the Cosmosphere, but they had some crazy restrictions on out of state visitors. I have several routes mapped out, ill just play them closer to actually leaving.

For those east of the Rockies traveling west on I-70. We will be stopping Tuesday night in Colby KS. Only 4 hours from FC so Wednesday drive should be easy and have plenty of time to get settled and meet everyone Wednesday evening. Not sure if anyone else in on a similar timeline. Might be fun to caravan the final leg.

For those of you who have stayed at the Elizabeth Hotel in Ft. Collins before, what is the parking situation in the area? I checked Google Street view and it looks like the hotel has a parking garage. My minimal clearance is about 8 foot 2 inches, so garages are a no go for me. Is there other parking options in the area such as paid overnight lots or something similar for large trucks? Usually I would be camping in the RTT (hence the height), but gf is along for this trip, plus other friends already booked at the Elizabeth, so going the hotel route for a change. Im sure others have run into or are going to run into this same problem.

Hotel reservation confirmed - Homewood Suite in Ft Collins
LC200 - A few more touch up, but mechanical is ready.
Route - 31 hrs or 2100 miles from MA through Kansas. Stopping in St Louis for some BBQ.

I will have 2 GMRS portable radio and 2 Boafeng portable Ham with me. Also have some recovery gear, tools and portable air pump.

Anyone from East coast want to convoy up? I can meet up anywhere along MA & CO. :)
If you want BBQ, wait until you get to Kansas City. Trust me😎

For those of you who have stayed at the Elizabeth Hotel in Ft. Collins before, what is the parking situation in the area? I checked Google Street view and it looks like the hotel has a parking garage. My minimal clearance is about 8 foot 2 inches, so garages are a no go for me. Is there other parking options in the area such as paid overnight lots or something similar for large trucks? Usually I would be camping in the RTT (hence the height), but gf is along for this trip, plus other friends already booked at the Elizabeth, so going the hotel route for a change. Im sure others have run into or are going to run into this same problem.
8 ft 2 in, wow! Ive never had a RTT, is it a complete pain to just remove it for the trip?

Is there any plan to have a "swap meet" of sorts where people can bring their 200 parts to buy and sell? I know a lot of people have some stuff stashed away that is rarely convenient to ship or trade with others. Perhaps even just an informal thing in this thread would work?

I know I'm further from the downtown area, but I went with the Hilton garden Inn. Ill make the trek over to the trails. I plan on getting to Fort Collins on Tuesday, give myself plenty on time. My plan was to leave Saturday morning, still kind of is. I'm pessimistic about things, so planning stops or cool sites becomes harder with the covid. Things that are outside are probably easier. Like the big Van Gogh painting in Goodland Kansas

I have the same question, but not as tall as yours.

I air down to 16 for these types of events. It just makes the ride that much more enjoyable, even if you really don't need it for traction.

We have very heavy vehicles. I air down to 22-24. 16-18 worked on my 80, but these rigs the tire tends to pooch out more making damage more risky. 22-24 psi works for me, it's about finding what works for you and your setup

Will stop on both. I did have some real good BBQ in KC in 2018. Any good recommendation?
There’s the places that have been around forever like Gates, Arthur Bryant’s, Jackstack BBQ, and Smokestack. But really, you can cover your eyes and throw a rock in any direction and hit a good BBQ place. There’s a reason the KCBS (Kansas City Barbecue Society) is one of the main sanctioning bodies for BBQ competitions in the country. If you love BBQ and want a fun weekend, you should attend the American Royal BBQ Competition in KC in the fall. Typically has 600+ teams from all over the country competing, HUGE party on opening night with bands / music everywhere. And sorry to all for getting off topic, I used to cook on a competition team when I lived in the KC area:grinpimp:

8 ft 2 in, wow! Ive never had a RTT, is it a complete pain to just remove it for the trip?

Well, if I had access to a garage with a door tall enough to get my truck into, it actually would be pretty easy to rig up a hoist to remove it. Me and 2 friends put it on the roof rack by just lifting it up when I got it, but that was kind of an emergency gotta get this done asap before my trip starts kinda deal. Its totally sucked doing it that way because my truck is lifted with bigger tires, but desperate times called for desperate measures. But now I've added an awning to it (alucab tent and alucab awning) so that makes it much heavier and more awkward than when we installed it. Plus we are camping near estes park mon and tues night before LCDC to hit RMNP, so want the RTT for that anyway. Even without the RTT and awning, I'm still at like 7 feet, so still doesn't fit most parking garages.

I have the same question, but not as tall as yours.

Pretty much all those 2 hr surface spaces become a free for all after 6pm. However, a lot of them also don't allow overnight parking so you have to pay attention to signage. It's more of a hike but I do know on Maple St between Howes and College, those spots allow for overnight parking (I guess I should say that was the case 4 years ago when I lived there, could have changed by now). I would guess the hotel regularly encounters guests with same concerns so I'm betting they'll have a better answer.

Also, an fyi for those traveling thru Kansas, our illustrious Governor is mandating masks starting Friday for places like restaurants and grocery stores.

Is there any plan to have a "swap meet" of sorts where people can bring their 200 parts to buy and sell? I know a lot of people have some stuff stashed away that is rarely convenient to ship or trade with others. Perhaps even just an informal thing in this thread would work?
I'd be interested in picking up a used Gobi ladder, great Idea @mcgaskins. I can bring a nearly complete set of LED interior replacement bulbs I bought before I realized my 2016 already had them🤦 if you have a pre-led truck and need them look me up in FC.

We just booked the Armstrong hotel downtown. Anyone else gonna be there?

How's the trail itinerary looking? I still have a campsite in RMNP reserved that I know should be fine for any trails near Estes, but not sure if we should be looking for another campsite or BLM further north?

I picked up a baofeng just need to study for tech license and we have some FRS walkies as well. Wife, 2yo and I will be tent camping 'somewhere' 😃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom