Replace heater tees or whole hose assy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got an 05 LX with 240k. Very good service records, and AFAIK these hoses are original. Worth the ~$150 to do them all while I'm doing the tees anyway?

Thanks!

20200629_143203.jpg

20200629_143226.jpg

I originally purchased just the T's but ran into some issues when I was pulling the originals. They were so brittle that they broke off in the hose and needed to run out and get some coolant tubing to replace those pieces. No issues or leaks in the last 5k miles.

Ya I was just thinking about that actually; between that and having so many miles on them anyway, I'm just going all new for ease and peace of mind. Thanks!

I originally purchased just the T's but ran into some issues when I was pulling the originals. They were so brittle that they broke off in the hose and needed to run out and get some coolant tubing to replace those pieces. No issues or leaks in the last 5k miles.

Ya I was just thinking about that actually; between that and having so many miles on them anyway, I'm just going all new for ease and peace of mind. Thanks!

I just got an 05 LX with 240k. Very good service records, and AFAIK these hoses are original. Worth the ~$150 to do them all while I'm doing the tees anyway?

Thanks!

View attachment 2356107

View attachment 2356109
I replaced the hoses when doing the tees for piece of mind. '98 LC at 285K.

This also allowed me to cut out the brittle Ts without disturbing them. I then removed the old hoses one by one from the truck, and "re-assembled" them on my bench to use as templates to assemble the new parts in the right orientations. Six hoses can get confusing...

When everything was together I brought the two new assemblies over to the truck and clamped them in.

Amazon product ASIN B000CRDM06

I replaced the hoses when doing the tees for piece of mind. '98 LC at 285K.

This also allowed me to cut out the brittle Ts without disturbing them. I then removed the old hoses one by one from the truck, and "re-assembled" them on my bench to use as templates to assemble the new parts in the right orientations. Six hoses can get confusing...

When everything was together I brought the two new assemblies over to the truck and clamped them in.

Amazon product ASIN B000CRDM06
Exactly what I've decided to do 😁 thanks!

Replacing the hoses at that mileage is probably a good idea. I did just the T's at 180k and not only did they crumble a bit and require some fishing in the hoses, but they leaked very slightly on the new T's because I rotated the clamps to allow for better future access (rubber likely fatigued). I ended up replacing the hoses when I had the intake manifold off a few weeks ago. As others have mentioned, it can get a bit confusing as they are all different lengths and there are 2 different size clamps. If you replace everything together, you can easily preassemble most of it, then just drop in the 2 sections. A little red coolant on the new hoses makes them slide on easily.

Be gentle when trying to rotate off the old hoses. Some of the metal lips can be easily deformed with too much pressure from pliers, vice grips, etc.

Replacing the hoses at that mileage is probably a good idea. I did just the T's at 180k and not only did they crumble a bit and require some fishing in the hoses, but they leaked very slightly on the new T's because I rotated the clamps to allow for better future access (rubber likely fatigued). I ended up replacing the hoses when I had the intake manifold off a few weeks ago. As others have mentioned, it can get a bit confusing as they are all different lengths and there are 2 different size clamps. If you replace everything together, you can easily preassemble most of it, then just drop in the 2 sections. A little red coolant on the new hoses makes them slide on easily.

Be gentle when trying to rotate off the old hoses. Some of the metal lips can be easily deformed with too much pressure from pliers, vice grips, etc.
Different size clamps? From the diagrams I saw it was just 12 of the same size, P/N 9613652101? And there was a heater hose kit on Wits End for 100 series 2UZ FE which had these 12 as well.

I did see on a different thread these called out, but just looking on my rig they all looked the same to me, so went with the 12 *2101 clamps.
• (8) Hose Clamps (96134-42100) (Horizontal hoses off Tee)
• (4) Hose Clamps (90467-19022) (Vertical hoses off Tee)

What year do you have? I'm wondering if the 98-02 had the two different sizes then in 03 they standardized them?

It looks like engine coolant was last changed at 202k. Did I read correctly somewhere that the service interval is the first 100k, then every 50k thereafter? If so I'll probably just knock out that fluid swap while I'm at it.

It looks like engine coolant was last changed at 202k. Did I read correctly somewhere that the service interval is the first 100k, then every 50k thereafter? If so I'll probably just knock out that fluid swap while I'm at it.

I am doing the same thing to my newly purchased 99 LX with 245k. Read how the heater T can crumble into the hose and stuff so it's worth it to me to just replace the hoses as well.

I haven't replaced the Ts and heater hoses on the Hundy yet. But many years ago I bought this set of hose grip pliers from Harbor Freight. They have saved me countless hours and problems that come with removing old hoses.

1593597984210.png

Only if Toyota Super Long Life Coolant has been and will continue to be used. If using any coolant other than TSLLC, the service interval is 30k miles.

Has anyone gotten away with using generic coolant tubing and cutting to length themselves?

Seems awfully expensive for a piece of tubing from the dealer. I’m tackling the same project soon on my rig.

Has anyone gotten away with using generic coolant tubing and cutting to length themselves?

Seems awfully expensive for a piece of tubing from the dealer. I’m tackling the same project soon on my rig.
It seems like they are pre-bent, so using your own could put stress at the connections points as you're trying to bend them yourself. Just a guess though. It was $154 for everything I needed, tees, clamps, and hoses.

I wouldn't chance it. A leak or blowout in the heater T hoses could be catastrophic for the engine. As @Schlexpedition noted, the OEM hoses are pre-formed with the exact bends required for lining up all of the connections. Plus, Toyota hoses are arguably of superior quality over any generic stuff that you could get from a chain parts store, where its nearly impossible to find metric sized hoses.

I don't think I've seen nor heard of a failed T-hose yet.... has anybody?

I did this and considered cheap insurance as when I attempted to remove the t's from the hoses they all crumbled. At that point attempting to fish all the pieces out of the hoses to ensure that nothing gets caught up in the system made the new hoses worth the extra piece of mind.
Grab yourself a pair of these pliers so that you can save your hands some fumbling.
Amazon product ASIN B01M5KCAXI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom