Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm wicked close to pulling the trigger on this setup. Only concern is the spring rate of the coils compared to what is on our stock vehicles. I'm not planning on a bumper, extra battery, etc in the front so I really don't feel like getting thrown around by a coil that's too stiff. Sounds like the spring rate is 650 lbs, does anyone know for sure what the stock coil spring rate is?
It might require some digging but I believe I saw the 500# number in a chart comparing stock coils to different OME options.
I agree, 650 is arguably too stiff for mostly stock weight.

It might require some digging but I believe I saw the 500# number in a chart comparing stock coils to different OME options.
I agree, 650 is arguably too stiff for mostly stock weight.

FWIW, 650 is what multiple people have been told by Ben at Filthy Motorsports to run on their King setups at stock (read no aftermarket front bumper) weight even though the kits come from King with 600s. OME's standard lift coils have a spring rate of 625 (2700 or 2702). I think you'll find a properly dampened 650 spring to not be too "stiff." Will it be firmer than stock, absolutely, but that does not necessarily equate to stiff and/or harsh when developed in conjunction with the shock. Of course this is internet conjecture and different folks will experience the same setup with different opinions as to ride quality. I've run lifted Bilstein setups in a couple different vehicles now and I've never been left with the opinion that they were harsh; I think they generally develop for compliance given they're largely selling non-adjustable options.

FWIW, 650 is what multiple people have been told by Ben at Filthy Motorsports to run on their King setups at stock (read no aftermarket front bumper) weight even though the kits come from King with 600s. OME's standard lift coils have a spring rate of 625 (2700 or 2702). I think you'll find a properly dampened 650 spring to not be too "stiff." Will it be firmer than stock, absolutely, but that does not necessarily equate to stiff and/or harsh when developed in conjunction with the shock. Of course this is internet conjecture and different folks will experience the same setup with different opinions as to ride quality. I've run lifted Bilstein setups in a couple different vehicles now and I've never been left with the opinion that they were harsh; I think they generally develop for compliance given they're largely selling non-adjustable options.

Well said. Guess it's time to pull the trigger on the setup

I agree with hustle hard, well said. There is no doubt Ben knows his s***, but I wonder if that recommendation is directed more toward typical King use, meaning higher speed desert type driving where body control is a major requirement.

With a spring 30% stiffer than stock I’d start to wonder about reduced articulation and compliance on lower speed things like the more technical jeep trails I tend to spend time on.

Without side-by-side comparisons putting different spring rates on a ramp it’s hard to know for sure.. but my gut is saying 30% seems like a lot, when I have more complaints about the stock damping and fade resistance than I do the compliance.

Maybe these specific questions have been brought up to Ben.. I guess I’ll keep digging for info. Fortunately suspension isn’t imminent for me right now.

I have written this before, but based my short experience with the set up on jeep/truck trails, the 6112s are not stiff at all and provide much more control than the stock set up. The rebound control and damping provided by the shocks certainly contribute and provide more confidence on the trail than stock. The overall package provides a noticeable improvement over stock on the road and on the trail.

Just ordered everything. $1,300 from 4wheelparts with a 10% off promo code. I'll probably install sometime next week and let everyone know how they are.

How would these perfrom with stock springs?

How would these perfrom with stock springs?
There is no guarantee they have the same diameters and lengths as stock, so they might not even fit.
But if they did, the shocks wouldn’t be tuned for such a soft spring.
A key part of why OP likes these so much is they are set up well to work as a system. Change any big part of it and it most likely won’t work nearly as well.

Ben set me up with 600 lb springs, and they've been great. Definitely worth a call to get a setup that is dialed in for your loads and intended uses.

I'm in the same boat. Have you received any update other than "We are in the process of fulfilling your order. Thank you for your continued patience."

Mine apparently arrived at the shop on Friday (says the tracking numbers) but I still haven't gotten a call to go pick them up. It took a while for Bilstein to actually ship them, plus 1/2 of the order shipped from Indiana, the other half from California so I'm sure that didn't help.

It anyone has an off-road type shop do their install PLEASE see if they can do a before/after RTI score on a ramp. Especially if near stock weight.

Well I tried to do the front install today and ran into some issues. Removed the shock top bolt, loosened the bottom shock bolt, removed the LCA ball joint bolts (x2), loosened both LCA to frame bolts and removed the sway bar bolt. Threw a crowbar between the ball joint and the LCA and tried cranking down on the LCA and it wouldn't give me enough slack to pull the shock out. Fought it hard for an hour, buttoned everything back up and called around to see how far our shops are booking for lift install. Anyone have any suggestions? Or anyone in the Denver area who has some free time?

Isn't it suggested to loosen the KDSS valves?

Weird. You've practically removed the LCA with that level of disassembly.

Is rust a problem in your area? I've heard that the LCA connection at the frame can have the bolts/alignment adjusters freeze with corrosion. Sounds like that's what you're dealing with as it's not allowing you to freely rotate the arm which should practically drop down at that point.

Weird. You've practically removed the LCA with that level of disassembly.

Is rust a problem in your area? I've heard that the LCA connection at the frame can have the bolts/alignment adjusters freeze with corrosion. Sounds like that's what you're dealing with as it's not allowing you to freely rotate the arm which should practically drop down at that point.

Not really. The car has been in CO all it's life, shouldn't be an issue. Maybe i'll try banging on those bolts to try to clean them out. I'm going to try again in a few hours and put the whole front up on jack stands to see if that helps for some reason

When you say, "Removed the shock top bolt, loosened the bottom shock bolt" - did you remove 4 top shock bolts (not the center one) and completely remove the bottom shock bolt? You definitely need to loosen the lower control arm nuts that they use for alignment to get enough droop. But the bottom shock bolt should obviously be completely removed. Also, there is a decent chance you will pull the CV joint out a bit if you push down a lot on the drooping LCA. You have to push up on the UCA if its in your way as well of course - both at the same time. I sat on the pry bar to free up my hands.

- if you still can't get it and have cheapo spring compressors like the harbor freight ones, you could compress the spring a little bit in place to shorten the assembly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom