Power steering filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I m new to FJ cruiser, just got a 2008. Im a member and have a fj40 but this is my first fj cruiser. “Howdy “ . This is going to be a little long but to describe the events is to help fix my problem. On way home from purchasing yet the steering started to get a little stiff. Not too bad just a little. By the time I got to my house it was even a little stiffer. So I figured I better look into the problem but meanwhile I’m going to change out the power steering fluid. So I drove her to town the next day to get power steering fluid , synthetic , Instead of the transmission fluid. While in town the steering would not return on its own after a turn. Anyway I started sucking out the fluid which was really dirty and putting in power steering fluid. I did this about six times and it started to get clean running the engine and turning the wheel in between each time. It actually got better but there was still something wrong with it. So I took the synthetic Lucas power steering and added a big tablespoon of Sea foam . This time it worked like a new car for a while . Tan like new. But when I turnd all the way left until it hit the stop, and all the way right also it got a little stiff at slow turning in town. Nothing noticeable at highway speeds.
That brings me to the question that is, is there a filter in the reservoir and also in the power steering pump? And Could I be correct to assume that the sra fome temporary cleaned the system for that short time it ran like new ? And now is clogging back up? Thanks for any help in a tI know it’s the holiday so I’m not expecting anybody to comment .Thanks in advance for any help I can get as always

I m new to FJ cruiser, just got a 2008. Im a member and have a fj40 but this is my first fj cruiser. “Howdy “ . This is going to be a little long but to describe the events is to help fix my problem. On way home from purchasing yet the steering started to get a little stiff. Not too bad just a little. By the time I got to my house it was even a little stiffer. So I figured I better look into the problem but meanwhile I’m going to change out the power steering fluid. So I drove her to town the next day to get power steering fluid , synthetic , Instead of the transmission fluid. While in town the steering would not return on its own after a turn. Anyway I started sucking out the fluid which was really dirty and putting in power steering fluid. I did this about six times and it started to get clean running the engine and turning the wheel in between each time. It actually got better but there was still something wrong with it. So I took the synthetic Lucas power steering and added a big tablespoon of Sea foam . This time it worked like a new car for a while . Tan like new. But when I turnd all the way left until it hit the stop, and all the way right also it got a little stiff at slow turning in town. Nothing noticeable at highway speeds.
That brings me to the question that is, is there a filter in the reservoir and also in the power steering pump? And Could I be correct to assume that the sra fome temporary cleaned the system for that short time it ran like new ? And now is clogging back up? Thanks for any help in a tI know it’s the holiday so I’m not expecting anybody to comment .Thanks in advance for any help I can get as always

Hi @Greasyfingers -

I saw no one replied, so I thought i’d try to get some discussion for you. As far as I know, Toyota does not use a filter in the pump or the box (FJ40, Fj60 and Tacoma), so I doubt they started with the FJ (of which I just bought). You can run a couple test: jack up both front sides so the wheels are off the ground. Jack up front and rear if you think you might accidentally hit the gas. Turn ignition on but do not start the engine. Try turning the wheel from left to right and back multiple times. If it is difficult to turn, probably a bad steering box. Turn the engine on now to start the pump, if that is bad, you will have difficulty turning with engine one. Most pumps begin to leak when they go bad, so if you don’t notice leaking or bad sound, probably the box. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime into help.

Steering box is a bit of a misnomer since it is rack and pinion. Could be debris in the hydraulics between the pump and the rack. Haven't really experienced your exact symptoms but gave rebuilt my pump and replaced the rack a few times.

the intermediate shaft u-joint is starting to seize. replace the shaft, yolk and 3 bolts and youll be good as new. don't forger to clean the steering shaft and load it up with anti-seize when you reassemble, a wire wheel is good enough to clean it up

Hi @Greasyfingers -

I saw no one replied, so I thought i’d try to get some discussion for you. As far as I know, Toyota does not use a filter in the pump or the box (FJ40, Fj60 and Tacoma), so I doubt they started with the FJ (of which I just bought). You can run a couple test: jack up both front sides so the wheels are off the ground. Jack up front and rear if you think you might accidentally hit the gas. Turn ignition on but do not start the engine. Try turning the wheel from left to right and back multiple times. If it is difficult to turn, probably a bad steering box. Turn the engine on now to start the pump, if that is bad, you will have difficulty turning with engine one. Most pumps begin to leak when they go bad, so if you don’t notice leaking or bad sound, probably the box. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime into help.
Well , thanks stoshzack for the information. I was busy and figured it out. I jacked up front end, took down plastic dirt shield so I could get to lower intermediate steering shaft. Top end. The bottom end was hard to get to at the universal joint end . The bolts were in bad shape but after soaking them for days with penetrating oil while waiting for new shaft they came off. If you knock up the yoke on the upper end the shaft will clear it and swing free. To do this I used a air chisel to knock it up. Same thing on u-joint end , air chiseled it up. To air chisel the u-joint end you have to use a pipe, or solid rod better , to reach it . New shaft and 3 new bolts, and new yoke. I give it a four for difficulty if you have the tools. Ours an hours of freeing it up but 30 minutes to put it all back together . End it drives like brand new . Somebody had assumed it was the power steering pump and put a brand new one on before I bought it, yay.😑

432E8268-12DF-40E3-AF05-9129C3153DC8.jpeg

A712809B-333F-4C18-B8C4-2A545AF33BD1.jpeg

1E46C0B2-5E24-4014-BC87-19BC6FA80D8B.jpeg

the intermediate shaft u-joint is starting to seize. replace the shaft, yolk and 3 bolts and youll be good as new. don't forger to clean the steering shaft and load it up with anti-seize when you reassemble, a wire wheel is good enough to clean it up
Saw your message after I fixed it. But you were right on

Saw your message after I fixed it. But you were right on

ive replaced more of those than I can count. another trick if you don't have an air hammer is to open up the split in the shaft with a prybar to help make it easier to hammer off

ive replaced more of those than I can count. another trick if you don't have an air hammer is to open up the split in the shaft with a prybar to help make it easier to hammer off
Thanks, will do next time. I was actually thinking of buying another one and putting it in a box with all the replacement parts like the belt And water hoses.

Thanks, will do next time. I was actually thinking of buying another one and putting it in a box with all the replacement parts like the belt And water hoses.

you can if you get a good deal on one but when they go bad itll get progressively worse and some times spraying up the u-joints with rust penetrant or something like that can help in the short term. ive never seen one break if that was a concern so I wouldn't be too worried about having to replace out on the trail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom