Builds Mercedes OM606 Turbodiesel into FZJ80 - engine refresh and more turbo fun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been looking at putting an om617 vs 606 in my boat and had heard stories about head issues on the 606 but I have no experience, just internetery research. Any problems with warping head or sealing up the mls?

I’ve been looking at putting an om617 vs 606 in my boat and had heard stories about head issues on the 606 but I have no experience, just internetery research. Any problems with warping head or sealing up the mls?

Not sure about the 617 but the turbo 606 doesn't really have head gasket problems. I've removed and reinstalled the head (for other reasons) a few times on my engine and it's never had any problems.

Update: if you see reference to engine speed anywhere in this thread, the numbers are wrong. I can't believe it, but this whole time, I've had the frequency input for the engine speed signal reading 5 pulses/2 revs. It should be 6. So the actual RPM I've been running is 5/6th of what was displayed in the DAQ. Things make much more sense now.

The 603 was know for cracking heads - late 80's. Mercedes replaced pretty much every 603 head under warranty. If your ever looking at one you can Google it and tell from the casting # on the head if you have a good one. I don't know much about the 606.

The 603 was know for cracking heads - late 80's. Mercedes replaced pretty much every 603 head under warranty. If your ever looking at one you can Google it and tell from the casting # on the head if you have a good one. I don't know much about the 606.

Yep, I had a 300SDL with a #14 head a few years ago.

The 606 never had issues with head cracking though. Really they don't have any major "known" issues other than problems removing glow plugs.

How are you liking the gtd2056 turbo? does it spool noticeably faster than the gt(a)2359? ...if you can't tell i still haven't decided on a turbo haha. I believe jav had a gtb?2056, and while saying the spool was good, said he ran into backpressure issues above ~4000rpm. have you had any issues with that?

How are you liking the gtd2056 turbo? does it spool noticeably faster than the gt(a)2359? ...if you can't tell i still haven't decided on a turbo haha. I believe jav had a gtb?2056, and while saying the spool was good, said he ran into backpressure issues above ~4000rpm. have you had any issues with that?

It's actually a GTD2060VZ (little bit bigger compressor). It's generally comparable to the 2359 but a little better in every category. GTD is a 5th-gen VNT and the GTA is 2nd gen, they really made a lot of improvements since the A and B series. I'm happy with it

It does spool a good bit faster than the 2359. 1900 RPM vs 2300 or so. There's definitely more boost available below the main boost threshold too.

It's not so much that I'm having back pressure issues at high RPM, it's just a matter of nozzle area limits in the turbo. Don't expect any turbo (that's sized well for the engine) to hold boost all the way to redline. You have to de-rate the boost target toward redline or you'll just be needlessly choking the turbine down trying to reach a boost pressure that's off the compressor map. I've changed my shift points to keep WOT operation below 4500 RPM anyway.

It's actually a GTD2060VZ (little bit bigger compressor). It's generally comparable to the 2359 but a little better in every category. GTD is a 5th-gen VNT and the GTA is 2nd gen, they really made a lot of improvements since the A and B series. I'm happy with it

It does spool a good bit faster than the 2359. 1900 RPM vs 2300 or so. There's definitely more boost available below the main boost threshold too.

It's not so much that I'm having back pressure issues at high RPM, it's just a matter of nozzle area limits in the turbo. Don't expect any turbo (that's sized well for the engine) to hold boost all the way to redline. You have to de-rate the boost target toward redline or you'll just be needlessly choking the turbine down trying to reach a boost pressure that's off the compressor map. I've changed my shift points to keep WOT operation below 4500 RPM anyway.
O wow, sure sounds like the spool is noticeably better. It might be tricky if you cant manually lock your torque converter, but I'd love to see a boost log vs rpm to compare it with those ones I took with the kkk turbo.

I love how cheap the gt2359s seem to be, but if I can get boost 400 rpm earlier I think I'd be willing to pony up a little more $.

As you mentioned, I could pretty much care less about performance above 3500rpm (I know...why'd I choose a 606 haha), so it sounds like either turbo setup would be fine for me up top, I just want the best spooling one that doesnt brake the bank.

About 20 hours later, and we have 5.29's installed. The truck feels much nicer off the line, even with the 1200 RPM stall stock torque converter.

Speaking of torque converter, I'm going to have my previously re-worked converter made to have the same higher stall, but not be so loose under load.

KIMG4174.jpg

KIMG4162.jpg

Do you think it would be easy to alter your adapter for an AW4 auto in the Jeep?

It probably has a different bell housing, so it would end up just being a whole new design. Maybe the bell housings can be swapped but I don't know from experience.

Seems to be a little lazy. You should get your pump tuned properly. The same engine in G-Wagon:

Seems to be a little lazy. You should get your pump tuned properly. The same engine in G-Wagon:

Yeah, I've seen this little truck, pretty sweet. I'm sure my pump could use a refresh as far as timing, and maybe go with bigger elements. But as far as tuning, it's calibrated with near-optimal AFRs. The truck in the video has a manual transmission so it's getting the clutch dumped at 4000 RPM so that huge turbo can spool, so that's one big difference. That vehicle probably weighs 1500 LB less than my 80, and they're at sea level.

Yeah, I've seen this little truck, pretty sweet. I'm sure my pump could use a refresh as far as timing, and maybe go with bigger elements. But as far as tuning, it's calibrated with near-optimal AFRs. The truck in the video has a manual transmission so it's getting the clutch dumped at 4000 RPM so that huge turbo can spool, so that's one big difference. That vehicle probably weighs 1500 LB less than my 80, and they're at sea level.
Actually his G wagon is running the 722.6 transmission with paddle shifters. His turbo is able to spool quickly through the use of his quick spool valve.

Actually his G wagon is running the 722.6 transmission with paddle shifters. His turbo is able to spool quickly through the use of his quick spool valve.

I see, at least he has an extra gear down low that I don't. (722.6 is a 5 speed) The quick spool valve is cool for large turbos. It kinda stone-age technology compared to modern VNT/VGT's, but they're handy when you want to run a wheel set that you can't find in a production VGT and get a little faster spool.

I've done some more work to my VNT position map, and I'm now able to get almost 18 psi by 1750 RPM. I'm definitely learning a lot around the VNT technology.

Here's some results with the GTD2060VZ, in gear, standing on the brake and going to WOT. As you'd expect, the lower the nozzle area, the more low-RPM boost. There's a tradeoff, however, with pre-turbine pressure, so I'll be re-installing the EMP sensor to optimize the minimum vane position map.

gtd2060vz.png

great data, thanks for posting that up. Out of curiosity, can the nozzle position/cmd be set less than 10% ? I assume emp is getting pretty high at that point so maybe it's not worth setting any lower. Also does pw% and nozzle % trend linearly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom