Help stop the leak...please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I have the dreaded drip leak at the drum brake/rear TC on my ‘70 FJ40. I have done the speedo housing double seal mod, the Speedi sleeve and Toyota orange gasket on the splines. Any other suggestions? I have a 4 speed mated to a 3 speed TC, so I am guessing TC hangs down more because of the 4 speed weight (ie the fill level will be slightly less than normal). Is the drum brake shaft to speedo seal suppose to be completely liquid tight? That is, is there a chance I am simply overfilling it?

Thanks for any help

You haven’t said that the output bearing preload was properly set. That would make a difference to the seal(s) being able to hold.

Hi All -

I have the dreaded drip leak at the drum brake/rear TC on my ‘70 FJ40. I have done the speedo housing double seal mod, the Speedi sleeve and Toyota orange gasket on the splines. Any other suggestions? I have a 4 speed mated to a 3 speed TC, so I am guessing TC hangs down more because of the 4 speed weight (ie the fill level will be slightly less than normal). Is the drum brake shaft to speedo seal suppose to be completely liquid tight? That is, is there a chance I am simply overfilling it?

Thanks for any help
You haven’t said that the output bearing preload was properly set. That would make a difference to the seal(s) being able to hold.

as mark mentions ,

proper torque and pre load are essential

here is a mistake i made at age 16 , first land cruiser 12/78

i had no idea i had to Stake all flange and brake drum parking with a square drift punch to prevent nut loosening after a very short time

i would get leaks all the time

after my first stake , no more leaks
simple as that .........

the staking process is sometimes mentioned in the FSM's

sometimes not .......

Thanks Mark - I have had several people tell me that my outer bearing race (the one that fits into the back of the TC) should slide/float in and out of the rear hole. This would make sense as it would apply different preloads to the bearing based on the shim thickness. However, I can tell you unequivocally that my race has an interference fit with that hole. I tried several different races and all had the same issue. I guess I need to go back and try and fix this.

I have a 4 speed mated to a 3 speed TC, so I am guessing TC hangs down more because of the 4 speed weight (ie the fill level will be slightly less than normal).

The transmission and transfer case are supported the same as the three speed. Should be no difference in oil level.

Did you use any silicone on the output shaft before sliding the parking brake drum on? It could be coming down the back of the brake drum and not from the seal(s) inside the drum. Just a thought. Good luck.

Did you use any silicone on the output shaft before sliding the parking brake drum on? It could be coming down the back of the brake drum and not from the seal(s) inside the drum. Just a thought. Good luck.

Thanks Matt - yes, put the orange (tranny/TC) Toyota gasket maker on splines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom