Best tire size for FJ80 stock wheels on a 2” OME lift? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installing a two inch Old Man Emu lift kit on my 1997 FJ80 and want to keep the stock wheels. Planning on going with BFG A/T tires. Any suggestion on the best size tire? Don’t want too big but don’t want too small either. Want it to look proportional. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

To clarify 33's typical in the metric will be a 285/75/16 or the fatter 305.... or taller skinny 295.

Look at the thread here on 35's and under. Lots of ideas.

And food for thought that is based on the stock 16" wheel. If planning on changing to 17" wheel, there are more wheel choices these days. Not to add confusion, just putting that out there.

315/75R16 is definitely the best size. it will suck the power though, I re-geared to correct it.

you are opening a can of worms though...

What gear did you go to ?

I did the transfer case gears, 10% Underdrive high range gears and Low range reduction gears at the same time. I also installed a Marks adapters Speedo correction box, (you don’t need this if you re-gear your diffs). Gears I bought from cruiser outfitters.
There is an extensive amount of information on this forum about re-gearing for diffs and transfer case.

I have 315-75-16 and 4.88 gears.
I kick myself for not getting 37s just ‘cause. But the 315s work well with my busted old Ironman lift that is 2.5-3.5 in depending on what corner you measure :hillbilly:

The 4.88 gears made a massive difference in the getupandgo, I would highly recommend.

It would be helpful to know what type of terrain you intend to travel, where you live, if you will be towing, do you traverse mountain passes, do you plan to regear, etc. If your only concern is looks, then buy whatever you like.

People love to forget the best 33" tire on stock wheels - 255/85/16

2” iron man and 315’s, this is what my budget build currently looks like. Kind of wish I had sprung for the 2.5” Dobinsons but may go ahead and toss those in the front as opposed to spacers to level her out. Some day I’m going to install the 10% underdrive and low range gears in the TC, will yield the equivalent of 4.56 gearing for the high range.

I’m happy with the path I’m on, definitely like the 35’s so far.

6D489D8B-A138-47B0-AF8D-FF51D66107BD.jpeg

SCS Wheel 35''s Yukon 4:88 does 70 on the highway no problem. Tires suck so I'm going to wheel in the Lava to test them up. That way the wife won't get mad about 5 new Falken AT3's
20200324_122506.jpg

I'm going to buck the trend. For a rig that isn't used primarily for offroad / trail use, 35's (315s) hurt driveablity unless you do gears. People put them on because they like the look, but unless look is more important to you than how it drives, I'd be checking out 33's and smaller. And with a smaller lift like you put on, 33's or smaller should be perfect. I personally like the skinnier tires like a 255/85R16 rather than the wider 285/75R16, but that is a less common size. Both are roughly 33" tires. Don't rule out 32" tires either. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom